freaked out - please help!

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

bmenze
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
freaked out - please help!

Post by bmenze » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:41 am

My wife and I have plans to visit Puerto Vallarta this weekend and staying for 6 days. I came to this board to gather info and found that a lot of the postings I'm reading are causing me to think about cancelling. Mainly, it's the fear of being harrassed by individuals offering time shares. We've never been to Mexico before and my wife is blind. I'm fearful of of the aggressiveness described on these boards and how my wife will handle this type of situation. Are the individuals offering time share a major concern? Do they harrass constantly? Are they so aggressive that they would grab or scare my wife? Will I be hit up every few minutes or just a couple times a day? Is the airport the worst of it? Please help!!

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re:freaked out - please help!

Post by smitty » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:56 pm

Don't worry and definitely don't cancel - you will have a great trip. The time share people are at worse an annoyance . A simple no thank you is all you have to say and keep walking. They won't grab or scare your wife . If anything they are super friendly and funny because they are trying to get your business. I think of TS people like those people who offer you goodies when you are trying to diet- a firm no is the only answer. You will find that Mexicans are very respectful and courteous - have fun !

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:42 pm

second Smitty's comments. A simple "No Gracias" suffices and, if it doesn't, tell them that you don't have a credit card. Like Smitty says, these folks are just doing their jobs. If you treat such encounters as a possible opportunity to interact and chat with a "local", you'll view the encounters as less of a hassle.

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:40 pm

No worse than the perfume ladies at the shopping mall during the holiday season :)

Seriously, the vendors here are not nearly as aggressive as those in some of the Caribbean Islands where even the braid ladies grab your hair and won't let you go.

The TS people are really only doing their job, and they for the most part are pretty great people. You may find that these are the people who help direct you around Vallarta, hand you maps, give you advice, etc. Most of these people speak English and Spanish, so they make great translators!

DO NOT let this worry you...and don't be worried or too defensive, I know you are wanting to be protective of your wife, but I think you will find that Vallarta and its people are also some of the kindest and more courteous of people.
Have fun !

stew

Post by stew » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:42 pm

If when down town you walk on the sea side of the malecon advoiding the other side of the street where the shops are. This true for the couple of blocks starting across from the Rosarita to the "cruve". If you must walk this section (there are hundreds of other stores to shop in) ignore them (you do not have to acknowledge these parasites) or just say when they ask "how are you?" say Great I jusr bought a time share at the Lindo Mar! Stops um cold or do like I do. when they ask me where I'm from I smile & exclaim "Zihuatanejo"! If people refused to walk on this section the businesses would kick these guys out in a New York Minute! One cafe that "allowed" these Ghouls in had their business fell off 50 % when all us regulars refused to go there. They quickly sent the TS packing.

Hebron

Post by Hebron » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:47 pm

Not too worry! Just tell them you don't have a credit card. Most of the timeshare people are looking for a deposit. So just say, I don't have a credit card, so not today senior........ It works!

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:46 pm

Over the years, I have spent almost 90 weeks in PV. I have never been physically "grabbed" by a timeshare guy - maybe I'm just not their type :-). The only real danger for new travelers to Puerto Vallarta, and many other high profile travel destinations, is when they don't realize that you can't get something for nothing. That free tour, or other incentive, being offered by the timeshare folks may come at the expense of attending a high-pressure sales presentation that lasts for a few hours. In the world of obscure abbreviations: TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch)!

ellenl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ellenl » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:01 am

bri bri
I certainly agree with all the previous posts----DON"T LET THIS RUIN THE POSSIBILITY OF A FABULOUS VACATION!!!!! They are only an anoyance not something to be scared about. And although your wife won't be able to see them, all the better, she won't feel guilty about just walking away!
I would suggest she get her hair braided if possible. That way she can FEEL how beautiful she looks. I can see, but couldn't keep my fingers off the braids. It just feels so different and "cool." Also, while we were there in Nov. we swam with the dolphins with the company Vallarta Adventures, and there were two blind people in our group who had a great time. They didn't have to see to be able to experience the touch of these great animals. Just a couple of thoughts for what it's worth. Hope you both have a great time.
Ellen

susana

Post by susana » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Don't be alarmed. Simply DO NOT participate. "No gracias" and keep walking. Firmly say you are not interested. Do not make any kind of conversation or show interest in the free lunch, free jeep, etc. I have never stayed at a timeshare hotel so don't know about that situation. Please do not cancel your trip. 15 trips to PV later, I am still in LOVE with the place!

derek

Post by derek » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:46 pm

I just completely ignore them and let them jabber on at me as I continue walking...they stop once you are ten feet away...it really isn't a big deal...they kinda crack me up actaully. in the end they are just trying to make a buck and support their family...the people who complain about them must be frightened little kitties about everyhting...they type who board up their house when the terror alert gets eleveated

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:04 pm

TS people are no problem. What really freaks me out is big old fat EU guys in speedos. YIKES!
<:((()))~