Cell Phone Rental in PV

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Cell Phone Rental in PV

Post by marcos » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:33 pm

For business reasons (I'm a Real Estate agent), I'm going to need to rent a cell phone in PV while I'm there for 2 weeks.

I remember reading something about a year ago on the board but can't find it now. In any case, can an yone tell me if renting a phone is possible and, if so, can it be done by someone like me who isn't fluent in Spanish.

If all this is possible, where would I go to rent a phone?

bzy1inpv

Re:Cell Phone Rental in PV

Post by bzy1inpv » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:34 am

It would probably be less expensive for you to go to any Telcel store (they have them all over) and purchase a cheap cell phone with a SIM card and do the pre-paid phone card plan (AMIGO PLAN).
You can get a phone for about $60 US with 300 pesos of time, then replenish (buy an AMIGO card at any SIX Tecate and most other stores)

If you buy at the main TELCEL store on FCO. Medina Ascencio (Across from the SunGetaway Hotel, near Mega) they will program it in English. The main TELCEL office has a parking lot in front, not the two little TELCEL stores within a block ot two.

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:37 am

duh! I forgot to add if you already have a cell phone with a SIM card (GMS) you can just have it reprogramed and then use the AMIGO cards. You HAVE to go to the main TELCEL office to have the phone reprogrammed. It must be GMS and best if it has a SIM card..... you may be able to find one cheap back home at thrift stores or garage sales since people usually upgrade once a year or so to a new phone. Nokia, Motorola, LG, Sony/Erickson are good bets.

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:35 pm

Brenda:

Thanks for the info. If I can really purchase a phone for $60 US, then it is definitely cheaper than renting one. I did some internet research on renting a phone in the US and it appears that the cost for 2 weeks (with shipping, etc.) would exceed $100 US.

The research I did, however, leads me to caution folks about your suggestion about buying a used GSM phone. Most GSM carriers here in the US (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.) sell their phones in a "locked" mode. In other words, the phones WILL NOT work with someone else's SIM card. The purchaser of a GSM phone must make sure that they can buy the phone "unlocked" so that they can take advantage of buying a SIM card where they travel. If you have a "locked" GSM phone it should work in Mexico (as I understand it) but you will be paying the US carrier's International rates per call plus the Telcel roaming and long distance charges.

The source for the info above is http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2002/0308.htm

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bzy1inpv » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:04 am

Yes, true. If you search, most phones on EBAY are unlocked. As well, I have had TELCEL reprogram four or five used phones, (not sure if they were unlocked or not, but they were able to get them up and running). There is unlocking software available for some phones.

Either way, a cheap cel phone may be your best bet :)

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bzy1inpv » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:04 am

Yes, true. If you search, most phones on EBAY are unlocked. As well, I have had TELCEL reprogram four or five used phones, (not sure if they were unlocked or not, but they were able to get them up and running). There is unlocking software available for some phones.

Either way, a cheap cel phone may be your best bet :)