duty free or not?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

maureen
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
duty free or not?

Post by maureen » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:27 am

How do the prices at the duty frree shops at the airport , say for rum or kahlua, compare to purchasing them at a grocery store in town? And should I hang onto some U.S. dollars to pay for them if at the duty free? Thanks

Great_White_North

Re:duty free or not?

Post by Great_White_North » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:38 am

Well depending on what you are buying you can save a bit of money. I bought a bottle of Tequila that would cost me $40.00 Canadian and only cost me $11.00 Candadian. So u can save a bit it was more of a souvineer than anything! But on the other hand when you buy something like perfume that doesnt come from Mexico you pay a lot more than you would pay in your home country. Like not a huge difference, but you would'nt be getting it for cheaper than your own country. The nice thing about duty free is that they have stuff that you cant get at home. If you see something that you want buy it!! I wouldn't really buy too much stuff that I could get in Canada because I can get it here!! Have fun!!!

maureen
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by maureen » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Great_White_North (Jan 23, 2005 12:38 a.m.):
Well depending on what you are buying you can save a bit of money. I bought a bottle of Tequila that would cost me $40.00 Canadian and only cost me $11.00 Candadian. So u can save a bit it was more of a souvineer than anything! But on the other hand when you buy something like perfume that doesnt come from Mexico you pay a lot more than you would pay in your home country. Like not a huge difference, but you would'nt be getting it for cheaper than your own country. The nice thing about duty free is that they have stuff that you cant get at home. If you see something that you want buy it!! I wouldn't really buy too much stuff that I could get in Canada because I can get it here!! Have fun!!!
When I said "town" I meant PV, not my hometown. In other words does anyone know how the duty free prices compare to the prices in the grocery stores in PV?

big guy

Post by big guy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm

It's usually cheaper in town,everybody has different prices.Try some of the locally distilled flavored Tequila,you wont be dissappointed.it may be harder to find.All the Tequila Houses have it.
Enjoy

susana

Post by susana » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:54 am

Prices are about the same for liquor in town and at the airport. Sometimes I get it at the airport rather than lug a bottle of tequila around, but not to save money. You can still pay in peso at the airport.

As mentioned already, around downtown prices differ somewhat between shops, supermercado, corner store. I've always found good prices at the Six (convenience stores). Just keep your eyes open when you're out doing other things in the neighborhood around your hotel.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:08 pm

I find buying my rum or vodka at a liquor store in PV is much cheaper than buying at the duty free.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:07 pm

we usually find our Kaluha, some vodkas, etc.. cheaper at the airport... but if you want some good deals on Jamaican rum head for the Super La Playa... i usually spend about $200 US there.. i exchange first and pay in pesos... but i go home with my Jamaican rum and Don Julio tequila.... as well as some mezcal with the worm to show off at the bar... LOL but check out the Super La Playas and check them out.. each one is independently owned so you could find a good price at one and not so good at another... LOL