parasailing

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
parasailing

Post by rossk » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:33 pm

Does anyone know if there are any parasail operators who practice the *American* style of using a winch, which launches and receives the parasail from the boat? There have been threads regarding the safety concerns of the usual method of beach take-offs and landings, and I don't want to stir that up again, but I personally would only consider doing this if the sail is in the complete control of the boat operators, and is operated in open water away from the beach.

Also, are their any 2-seat parasails? My wife is hesitant, and would only go up if she had company. :-)9

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Parasailing

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:14 pm

All parasailing is off the beach, no boat launches and no tandems that I'm aware of.

Regarding the safety...I've been going to PV for over 7 years now, 9 trips. Where I spend my beach time, there is a parasail operation right beside me and I watch it all day. For every one story of problems, there are I would estimate about 1000 people or more a week who manage to do this without incident all around the bay. And to be honest, the few times I've seen problems it has been 100% rider error, not operator error, because people don't listen to instructions - they're too busy downing that last beer, or winding their cameras, or waving at family when they should be listening - so what you end up with is the guys having to readjust to bring these (pardon the phrase) idiots down safely because they chose not to listen when they should have. In 7 years I'm aware of only two instances where it was operator error due to unanticipated high winds...but that's Mother Nature, and it's hard to predict that sometimes.

That's why you sign the waivers. This is, IMO, an extreme sport. You understand the risk you take when you sign up for it. If someone doesn't understand the risk, they should stick to the beach. Just like anything people do sport related, there are always risks involved. Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed safe and that's the chance one takes when they participate.

The "american" style winching can be just as dangerous if the winch sticks or there are problems with the boat...I've seen that happen several times and can be very dangerous for the rider. There are no guarantees that one method is safer than another. I've also done float landings in lakes...like I said, this is a sport, and an extreme one, and no method is IMO better than another for safety.

The guys on Los Muertos, I've been watching them for years. They're pretty darned good at what they do (the one guy has been at it 20 years I'm told), and their equipment, all things considered, is better than some operations I've seen and used in Canada. I even watched them take out an entire group from a cruise ship, one by one, and every single person was deaf. They managed through a series of flags and hand signals to get every person out for a ride, and down safely afterwards. I wish I had remembered to take the camera, because the smiles on their faces - priceless moments. The guys got a standing ovation from the beach club inhabitants that day.
Last edited by Jennybean on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:16 pm

Thank you Jennybean, i just pulled this up to type in a reply and PWOOF you had already covered everything. And yes we don't want to open that can of worms again about safety issues etc ... :wink: :lol: 8)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Parasailing in Puerto Vallarta

Post by webmaster » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Cool story the one of the deaf parasailers, great to hear that they were able to enjoy that trip too, I went up once with my girlfriend (now wife) in Vallarta and had a great time.

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

No Prob

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:24 pm

No prob, I certainly understand people's trepidations when it comes to doing it. And that's perfectly ok.

Just like anything else what happens is that the few rides that do wind up going bad get the most airplay, far outweighing the thousands of safe and fun rides that happen all the time. So people question, as is their right.

I've done parasailing in several places...surprisingly, haven't done it yet in PV. I guess it's a "been there, done that" mentality, but if I ever decided to do it, I wouldn't fear for my safety with the boys on Los Muertos. I've known them forever and I trust them to do a good job. Their livelihood relies on it, and they know that.

:D

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Re: No Prob

Post by chuck » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:42 pm

[quote="Jennybean"]No prob, I certainly understand people's trepidations when it comes to doing it. And that's perfectly ok.

Just like anything else what happens is that the few rides that do wind up going bad get the most airplay, far outweighing the thousands of safe and fun rides that happen all the time. So people question, as is their right.
:wink:
Totally agree with you.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:06 pm

i think that is why the last time this topic got brought up it got gruesome when we got talking about drunkin pilots, plan crashes, etc ... and man that was getting way out of control back then...

but it is the truth, it only takes one of two bad press releases and the next thing you know, it is the most horrible sport, and that all the vendors are crooks, etc...

jmo.... :wink: :lol: 8)

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:10 am

I watched these guys closely back in march and I was very impressed, As I wanted to take a ride but it was during my drinking period and didnt want to spend that money . The guys down by the pier and at villa del palmer seemed to give great instructions and told you to listen to their whistle and they would pull their arm up and down to tell you when to pull. When I go next time I would not even think twice about my safety with these guys. They know what they are doing- Jro

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:43 pm

I'm under the opinion that when your time is up, it's up. Just last week while I was working at the hospital, we had a plane crash with 8 skydivers just a few miles from our location. This outfit has been in business for a long time with almost no accidents. This day just happened to be the day and these the people for whom their time was up.

If you enjoy the trill of certain things, you must accept the chance that something, sometime, might go wrong. Life itself is a risk from birth till that instant before you die, so live it to your limit.

A Long Link