wildlife in july?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

foggy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
wildlife in july?

Post by foggy » Tue May 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Will we be able to see whales, sea turtles, etc.? Is it worth it to go on one of these excursions during this time of year? And which company do you recommend for this type of sightseeing?
thank you
Foggy

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed May 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Foggy,

Whale watching season is over and the whales have migrated north, so no whale watching tours are available in July. Sea turtle season begins in May so you would most likely see a few if you went out on a tour. Most of the activity from them takes place on the beach where they lay their eggs. There are several of the resorts that participate in the conservation of the sea turtles and they build nurseries and move the turtle eggs into a protected area until they hatch. After they hatch they are released at night when the danger of natural preditors is at it's lowest. Most of these resorts have a program that allows you to participate in the release of the baby turtles into the ocean. I am not sure that there will be any to release in July, that depends on if you are going towards the end of the month or not. I have released them as late as Nov. in the past. You might get some more replies of you re-post this under the sightseeing and activities topic. Maybe one of the moderators will see this and move it over to that area.

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

wildlife

Post by desi » Wed May 28, 2008 9:49 pm

We have seen a couple of turtles laying their eggs in mid July...We usually go July 18 through the end of July sometime. We were staying at Crown Paradise when we saw the turtles. The hotel had someone that came and made everyone stay away from the turtle and let them do their deed and then they moved the eggs. Our kids thought it was awsome! We saw one turtle through the wave early evening one time too. We have seen sting ray fish in July and August. Enjoy! We will be there again this year from July 18-25. Hoping to see more turtles.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu May 29, 2008 5:55 am

Will we be able to see whales
Every time I jump into the pool somebody usually yells 'whale', or some such thing, but I don't think that's the kind of whale you had in mind. And as for the rest of the question, our oldest single son made quite a few comments about the quality of 'wildlife' he was running into all over the place. Enjoy.