What to do?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

northern.spirit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
What to do?

Post by northern.spirit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:32 pm

It's our second time going to PV. Last time was last year, stayed on a resort (Family wedding) and this we're renting a condo for 10 days. We want to do alot of sight seeing. Last year we went to Sayulita - loved it and will go again. We rented a car with my brother in law and his wife and the 4 of us went on a day trip there. This year, it's just hubby and me and I'm not sure I want to rent a car again. There are tours going there, or we could take the bus - which do you recommend?

We also went to Bucerias and will do that again - by bus.

Plan on a horseback tour - which one? - as well as a jeep safari Sierra Madre.

Did Rythm of the nights - loved it.

Of course went snorkling and will go again - last year we went I think with PV Tours on a speed boat which was awesome as we ended up in a place that was very private and they had a strip of beach where they had a BBQ and drinks, and a couple hour siesta.....Loved it but wouldn't mind trying another good one...

Any easy canopy tours? - we're 54 and 62, but in very good health and in reasonable shape....

Any other recs from anone??

THanks!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 pm

You can take public transportation to Sayulita. Look for a thread in the transportation section of this website. In my opinion, having your own rental car gives you ultimate flexibility, and I'm not sure if you are trying to avoid the expense of a rental car, not sure about your ability to drive, or think taking public transporation is more adventurous and eco-friendly.

If I had a rental car, I would drive to Mismaloya and further south of there (i.e. Boca), and I would look into driving to San Sebastian. I would also go north to San Pancho and Punta Mita (near Sayulita).

I can't comment on snorkeling or boat tours.

For a canopy tour, I recommend Los Veranos. They have a website. We had an awesome time. We had to climb some stairs in the jungle, but not bad-- I'm sure you could do it.

pvgemini

northern.spirit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by northern.spirit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Thank you for your reply.
My main concern about driving is just that whoever is driving can miss alot of the sights!
And although I'm not a seasoned traveller, the tours that we have taken (rather thatn driving our on our own) seem so informative and you go places you may not otherwise go....off the beaten path so to speak.

Will seriously consider rentaing a car though, now having read your reply and thoughts about it..

Thanks again!!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:43 pm

You make a good point; the driver does have to be very focused on driving! I also wanted to mention that you can rent a car for just a day or two; don't feel like you have to rent it for the entire trip. I believe there are car rental places in downtown PV, so you don't have to go all the way back to the airport to get a car.

The highway south of PV hugs the coastline-- beautiful drive, but driving north, in my opinion, is not very pretty anyway. A tour bus to Chico's Paradise (I think this still exists) would take you on the highway south toward Mismaloya, and you could both enjoy the views.

northern.spirit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by northern.spirit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 pm

What is Chico's Paradise? A restaurant?

We're actually staying in Mismaloya. Don't know much about that area. And, when I said we've stayed in PV before, that was not quite true. We stayed at the Palladium Vallarta which is about 45 mins. north of PV. And like you said, I really didn't find the drive that spectactural. I had forgotten what it was like. We did like Sayulita though. But is it worth going back to?? We spent a couple of hours in PV but that's it. Basically stayed on the "boardwalk". We only had a couple of hours till our flight left. We left our bags at the hotel and asked for them to get to the airport where we would then join "them". Risky, but we really wanted to see PV and didn't like the thought of hanging around a resort for 4 or 5 hours with no room to relax in or clean up in after hanging at the beach!

You're being very helpful and I appreciate all your input!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 pm

Chico's Paradise and Chino's Paradise (2 different places) are both restaurants on rivers. Chino's Paradise is in Mismaloya, 2 km up the river, eastward. Chico's Paradise is a bit farther away from PV, and I don't remember exactly where, but down in that same general area.

As I read about these places online to answer your question, I will tell you that the reviews of Chino's are much better than Chico's. Chino's sounds like it is less expensive as well.

Tour buses take people from PV to both of these places, an all day excursion. You can also have a jeep tour to these places. Sounds like you could WALK to Chino's from Mismaloya!!

So you are staying in Mismaloya............hmmmmmmm..........I like to eat in town and stay until midnight or later, so I personally would rent a car, but you can take buses and taxis, depending on what hour of day or night. Yes, it is worth going back to Sayulita, and if you rented a car for a day, you could do Bucerias, Punta Mita, Sayulita, and San Pancho all in the same day trip. Even though you probably already committed to X number of days in Mismaloya, you could probably get a really cheap room in San Pancho for one night, and lengthen your trip north. One place I know of there is Costa Azul, I believe. Something like that.

pvgemini

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:46 pm

My sister and I took the bus up to El Tuito one day and we really enjoyed it. Its a sleepy little town, very mexican, street market and completely charming. We came across a bakery that was pulling freshly baked goods out the hearth oven out in the yard. Needless to say... who can resist hot freshly baked pan dulce? We didn't! Delicious. We didn't lunch here because we had stuffed ourselves with fresh buns but there are several really good restaurants close to the square.
Joyce

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:40 am

Yum yum Joyce!! I'm going to look for that bakery when we go down there to Chico's. Thanks for sharing.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Sandy the bakery is in El Tuito not at Chico's! But feel free to look for it, you just won't find it!!! :D

Joyce

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm

That shows you how much I know, lol. I thought we were supposed to take the El Tuito bus and I assumed we'd be going to El Tuito on the way to Chico's. I guess I better get that figured out before we head that way shouldn't I? Can you help me with that?

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Re: What to do?

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:29 pm

[quote="northern.spirit"]
Of course went snorkling and will go again - last year we went I think with PV Tours on a speed boat which was awesome as we ended up in a place that was very private and they had a strip of beach where they had a BBQ and drinks, and a couple hour siesta.....Loved it but wouldn't mind trying another good one...

Where did you rent the speed boat from? 4 of us women are more interested in renting a private boat then going on one of those bigger boat tours.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Sandy, I have not been to Chico's but if you have to take the Tuito bus then I'm pretty sure that your stop would be well before you get to Tuito. Maybe somebody else can jump in here and tell Sandy what she needs to know.

Joyce

northern.spirit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: What to do?

Post by northern.spirit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:25 pm

chrisnick wrote:
northern.spirit wrote: Of course went snorkling and will go again - last year we went I think with PV Tours on a speed boat which was awesome as we ended up in a place that was very private and they had a strip of beach where they had a BBQ and drinks, and a couple hour siesta.....Loved it but wouldn't mind trying another good one...

Where did you rent the speed boat from? 4 of us women are more interested in renting a private boat then going on one of those bigger boat tours.
It wasn't a private rental. I thought it was through PV Tours, but when I went on their website, it's not there.
It was a speed boat that held approx 12 - 16 people. Small enough to be alot of fun and personable. And being a speed boat it took us quite a way from most other snorkeling spots, where there were alot of different tour groups in the same area. The spot they took us to was privately owned by the tour group. And the BBQ lunch was really good. It was amazing I would definitely recommend it. I'll try to come up with the name and let you know.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks! We hope to make a few friends that want to rent a boat.

northern.spirit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by northern.spirit » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm

chrisnick wrote:Thanks! We hope to make a few friends that want to rent a boat.
It was Vallarta Adventures
The Sea Safari
It looks different this year. I think we'll probably do that one if it is indeed different. The pics on their homepage show the boat - it's an inflatable - and also the beach where we had lunch.
There was no horseback riding when we went, but we did do the little village and hike to the waterfall. It was beautiful.....
Here's the link:
http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/
I'm pleased to have found their website. We booked Rythmns of the night with them as well and loved it. Great tour company

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.