Trick or Treat

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Trick or Treat

Post by Plus4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Trick or treat, smell my feet.
I know you'll give us lots of treats.
Not to big, not to small,
Maybe the size of Montreal Image

http://www.jackolanterns.net/mexicanhalloween.htm

Halloween in Mexico (called Los Dias de Los Muertos in Spanish) is a different celebration from Halloween in all the other countries.
Even though, it's the day of death in Mexico, death brings laughter, and in that celebration, the Mexican people play with death, making people laugh. The celebration includes jokes, parties, dancing, music, and a lot of delightful food.

Everyone buys smiling candy skulls with the names of the people, family and friends written on the forehead. These skulls are made of sugar, and the children eat them like candies.

Los Dias de Los Muertos is a traditional Mexican holiday honoring the dead. It is celebrated every year at the same time as Halloween and the Christian holy days of All Saints Day and All Souls Day (November 1st and 2nd).

The towns people dress up as ghouls, ghosts, mummies and skeletons and parade through the town carrying an open coffin. The Mexican people celebrate the deceased people by making offers of food and drink (ofertas) to these dead people and making a party of death. They make candy skulls and toys that look like skeletons, and they tell funny stories about death.

There is a saying that says: "Through the Mexicans, death makes laughter." All the Mexicans participate in these celebrations. They are traditions in our country, and almost everyone enjoys them.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:16 pm

beautifully said
how true and religious they are

chico

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:20 pm

top notch sylvia... that was excellent...

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Halloween

Post by smitty » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:32 pm

That little Halloween poem brought a smile to my face . :) Its been quite a few years since I thought of that . Good post Sylvia.

DELETED

Re: Halloween

Post by DELETED » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:31 pm

DELETED

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks Guys...Smitty the little poems one had to say to get a candy put in your Halloween... pillow case... was fun ...We do not hear the cute poems as much anymore..

Chico...I agree the words were beautifully said..
I like the words
"Through the Mexicans, death makes laughter."
The children are very fortunate in Mexico..to learn from wee ones that death is natural..it happens and one need not be afraid of it.
Mexicans still mourn and feel the loss of their loved one but celebrating a persons life is better than just dwelling on their death.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:56 pm

I was going to do a new trick or treat thread to celebrate Mexico's Halloween and The Day of the Dead that begins October 31 and ends on November 2.
and thought... why not just bump up this one instead...
We have vacationed in mexico at this time of year.. Fun times...

btw
If you see this Tom...
Hi :)