Your own sightseeing?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ChristieB199
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Your own sightseeing?

Post by ChristieB199 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:35 am

Is there a boat that will take you to Marieta Islands or Los Caletas without taking a tour?

What if you would like to just take a boat over there yourself and walk around and explore the beauty yourself?

It may seem a little weird to others but... I would like to pack some lunches, take a boat over to this island and hang out :)

Thanks

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:51 am

DELETED

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Los Caletas is exclusive to Vallarta Adventures. Not sure if they can stop you from landing there, but you'll not be offered any food, drink, or use of any of facilities.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Las Caletas

Post by Jennybean » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Ted is correct; at Las Caletas there is an exclusive contract with V.A. and you cannot even dock if you are not on one of their tours.

You can stop outside the inlet, but they will discourage you from coming ashore, and you won't be able to access any amenities.

You'd be better off picking lesser known beaches for personal exploration days. :)

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:02 pm

all beaches are public usage

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

You can't walk around the Marietta's. It is a ecological/marine preserve and there is only one tiny area of beach that you are allowed on, when the tide permits. Not a place you could hike or picnic.

ChristieB199
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ChristieB199 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:24 pm

Ok so this will be my first trip to PV. I have trying to do researching but as you can see I am still clueless. I did not know that there were rules that prevented you from exploring other areas.

So does anyone have a suggestion as to where a good place to go? I would very much like to do this. While taking tours and things of that nature are fun and all sometimes I like to be at my own pace, take lots of photos, and enjoy the scenery on our own.

We are leaving on Friday, April 13th. :)

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:28 pm

DELETED

ChristieB199
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

TY

Post by ChristieB199 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am

Thanks mexibeach! Your input greatly appreciated! I will make sure to post a link to our photos. This will be our first trip to PV and hopefully not our last!

DELETED

Re: TY

Post by DELETED » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 pm

DELETED

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 pm

The best way to tour Marietas is by taking a water taxi from Punta Mita beach. Any one of those guys know all the secret spots for snorkling and access to the beach there. Theres a beach there on Marietas thats only accesible by swimming thru a cave. Once you get thru the cave its about 30 yards long and deep surrounded by 15 foot cliff on all sides with small caves that go farther back on the beach. Its amazing but a little dangerous because the tube sometimes fills with water on the bigger waves. For that reason you need to be a strong swimmer. There are other nice beaches on the islands though. I dont know if he is still there but a fellow by the name of Lupe has been taking me out for many many years. Ask for him. This is the best way to tour Marietas because not only do you get to see Marietas but you also get to enjoy Punta Mita beach which is one my favorites in the PV area.

Have fun!

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

There's always Yelapa

Post by oneistwo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:43 pm

I'm not a big fan of Yelapa (others are so you might ask around) but if you want to take a boat somewhere and poke around and sit in the sand afterwards, that's available. The water taxi leaves from Los Muertos pier. I seem to remember a couple of places renting kayaks and such. If you go there, at least you'll have the satisfaction of doing it independently.

In buying the tix, asking the times, and asking about the services and directions once you get there, it helps to know at least some phrase-book Spanish. That holds true for any independent exploration, even the back streets of PV.

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:04 pm

If you do the hike from Boca to Las Animas you'll find beautiful areas and private coves. There are 2 large beaches just before Las Animas proper that are too die for. Along the way you'll pass through peoples' homes and they may offer you beer or water and a chat or three. Very friendly and helpful. From Las Animas you can hire a boat to go to Yelapa or back to Boca- we found one for only 30 pesos- as were too tired to do the hike back.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:49 pm

delectdee wrote:If you do the hike from Boca to Las Animas you'll find beautiful areas and private coves. There are 2 large beaches just before Las Animas proper that are too die for. Along the way you'll pass through peoples' homes and they may offer you beer or water and a chat or three. Very friendly and helpful. From Las Animas you can hire a boat to go to Yelapa or back to Boca- we found one for only 30 pesos- as were too tired to do the hike back.
Sounds interesting. I have been to all these beaches by boat but never knew there was a hike. Is there a link you can give which provides us with more information?

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:41 pm

zaksam321 wrote:
delectdee wrote:If you do the hike from Boca to Las Animas you'll find beautiful areas and private coves. There are 2 large beaches just before Las Animas proper that are too die for. Along the way you'll pass through peoples' homes and they may offer you beer or water and a chat or three. Very friendly and helpful. From Las Animas you can hire a boat to go to Yelapa or back to Boca- we found one for only 30 pesos- as were too tired to do the hike back.
Sounds interesting. I have been to all these beaches by boat but never knew there was a hike. Is there a link you can give which provides us with more information?
vallartainfo.com look under hidden beaches section. if you google "hike from boca to las animas" you'll find some more info. JR's site (vallartainfo) is quite good as is his message board (imo). guides are offered but you can do it on your own quite easily. depends what you are comfortable with. you may meet characters on the way and they all have interesting stories!
to do the hike comfortably you need to have some kind of physical fitness. while not being too taxing it does provide some spots where you need to climb, jump down, or scramble a bit. good shoes/sandals with grip would also be a good idea as well as a first aid kit of some kind (just in case).
i'd love to hear about it if you go. it is one of our highlights each time we go to pv.

croozgal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

snorkeling

Post by croozgal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Having snorkeled the /Red Sea and Bora-Bora ,the snorkeling in PV is just not good , you might try out by Mismaloya , Los Arcos ~~ we rented the little boat in front of the hotel was cold, but saw fish , tangs~St. Majors~grouper and goat fish If you have never snorkeled go ! :roll: [/b]

croozgal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: There's always Yelapa

Post by croozgal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:37 pm

we are going to PV July 29 for four days hotel RDC I've read about Yelapa for 10 years now is the time to go!

what is the best way for a day trip
thanks we are seniors , 70 & 72 but still boogie board :wink:

jenniferlt
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jenniferlt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:24 am

We just took the water taxi to Yelapa. It was great. We saw a Sea Turtle on the way when the boat stopped so someone could, um, answer nature's call. Odd, but fun. The boat guy walked us up to a little waterfall and did not ask for any money but we gave him a tip. You could do this without a guide. We meadered back, lost the group, got a bit lost and followed a burro back to the "playa." We ate lunch at one of the beach side restaurants. It took forever, doesn't everything?, but was delicious. The pie lady came by carrying pies on her head and we bought several different kinds and our family devoured a piece before our lunch came using only our fingers since we had no silverware yet. Then we went swimming. It was a fun adventure.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Your own sightseeing?

Post by webmaster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 pm

More on the Marieta Islands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYEI-1miLU