Traveling with baby

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

kngarookc
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Traveling with baby

Post by kngarookc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi there! Don't know if this is where I should post this, but here goes. We have a PV vacation planned for the end of this June. Cast of characters: Me, DH, Son(4 months then), and my parents. Am I a fool to have booked a vacation there with an infant??? (This will be our 1st time to Mexico). What activities and or tours might we want to book? DH and I plan on having the parents babysitt for a night, so we thought we would do rhythms of the night that evening. I'd like any tips, ideas, advice on how to make this vacation a good one. Thanks :D

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:26 pm

I personally would not take a baby to Mexico but if I ever did I'd be sure to pack everything they would need to eat OR drink for the whole trip. And I'd be sure to have a detailed plan in case of a medical emergency. Not to scare you, but my best friend just went to PV with her daughter and 18 month old grandson and he got very sick and ended up spending a day and a night in the hospital. They said he received very good care but there was definitely a language barrier at the hospital and the whole medical scene was quite different than they were used to in the States. He was sick most of the rest of the trip but he's fine now. On the other hand, I always see babies every time we go to MX and I'm sure lots of them don't get sick. I think someone here on this board has a contact name and number for someone at the hospital there who I"m sure could help you in case of emergency. Maybe they'll share that info here.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:17 am

I took my daughter the first time when she was 3 months old so I say go for it. She is now 6-1/2 y.o. and heading down next weekend for her 8th trip and not once has she been sick. Depending if your son is on any special formula or not I would only take enough for a day or two and then hit one of the grocery stores and buy more. My daughter was on a special one and since I did not know if it was available I brought it all with me. Same thing with diapers bring enough for the first day or two and then get more once you are there. As far as a stroller that will be up to you. The first time I brought the big stroller but found it kind of a pain when walking around downtown. An umbrella stroller is much more convenient. Sorry I can't comment on any of the tours as I have not been on any with her. She just likes to sit at the beach and pool all day.

As for medial emergency contact I'm not sure where you are staying but here are the numbers for the Cornerstone Hospital in PV.
24hr Ambulance 226-1014
Hospital 224-9400
Pam Thompson (days) 224-8122 (her email is: pmt15 at hotmail.com)
She is the Patient Service Coordinator (or something like that).

If there is something that I haven't covered and you would like to know just ask. Also, welcome to the board. :D

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:59 am

My only concern would be taking a 4-month-old at the end of June. It is getting pretty hot and humid. If the baby is not used to that heat I can see you having problems with the baby possibly getting sick in the heat. Staying in an A.C. room all day is not going to be much of a vacation.

Other than the factor of the heat and humidity I would say take the baby, I am sure you will find everything you need in PV. No need to try to pack it all you will find it there.

nevadabadgirl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by nevadabadgirl » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:22 am

I took my son to Algadonas for 5 days, when he was around 6 months old. At that time, he was still on formula and he also ate baby food. I took everything we needed and bought distilled water to make the formula, and he was fine.

The only thing I found disturbing (being an over-protective first time mom) was EVERYONE wanted to rub his head....he was blond. Someone told me that the people in this area considered towheads to be good luck...I personally think he was just so cute they couldn't leave him alone...not that I am biased or anything :P

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:38 pm

katnsocal wrote:My only concern would be taking a 4-month-old at the end of June. It is getting pretty hot and humid. If the baby is not used to that heat I can see you having problems with the baby possibly getting sick in the heat. Staying in an A.C. room all day is not going to be much of a vacation.

Other than the factor of the heat and humidity I would say take the baby, I am sure you will find everything you need in PV. No need to try to pack it all you will find it there.
Good point Kat. I didn't even think of the heat and humidity as I don't travel to PV during the summer months. If you are going to take your son my only suggestin to you then is to find a shady spot by the pool and have one of those floating devices where your son can sit in and keep him in the pool as much as possible and perferably in the shade with lots of sunscreen on.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Baby Talk

Post by smitty » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:07 pm

I hope Mom and Dad get a well deserved vacation in PV . My only advice is to invest in a pair (or two) of these swim diapers for your son . No poos (in the pool) is good news . :)

http://www.diaperaps.com/home/dp1/listi ... apers.html

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:34 am

As well as the sunblock that Lori mentioned, don't forget to cover his head with a hat.

Joyce

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:25 pm

nevadabadgirl wrote:I took my son to Algadonas for 5 days, when he was around 6 months old. At that time, he was still on formula and he also ate baby food. I took everything we needed and bought distilled water to make the formula, and he was fine.

The only thing I found disturbing (being an over-protective first time mom) was EVERYONE wanted to rub his head....he was blond. Someone told me that the people in this area considered towheads to be good luck...I personally think he was just so cute they couldn't leave him alone...not that I am biased or anything :P
This is funny. The locals do consider rubbing a fair haired child as good luck. Ive got a little blonde girl who is 6 and coming to PV for her 6th time with us in June. She still gets her head rubbed for good luck as recent as last year. It really wigged her mom out the first few times we went though. Now the little one loves the extra attention.

To answer the OP's question though just do as you normally would if you were planning to be out in the sun at home. Plenty of sunblock and hats. I would stick to the beach and the pool and make sure you have an adequate amount of shade. If you do go in the ocean be sure not to do so in the mouth of any rivers as is the situation where the river feeds bays such as Mismaloya. I can give you three guesses as to whats in those rivers and the first two dont count. :wink: Outside of that no worries and have fun.

diane21
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by diane21 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:04 pm

When Travelling with baby I like Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive. It has the line that turns blue when wet, maybe I like that feature because I'm a new Mom...but dry max leaked for my DD and Swaddlers hold it all in.

Pampers coupon |pampers wipes coupon

tpaxton
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tpaxton » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 am

The last time we went to PV, we did not bring our 1 year old as it would be such a hassle with all the limitations you have to work around with while in Mexico. But now that he is 4, and we have pretty much experienced how it is to travel there, we are now ready. The challenge would be bringing all the essentials including food and water and leaving nothing to chance.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 pm

The challenge would be bringing all the essentials including food and water and leaving nothing to chance.
Food and water????? Are you kidding me? You would be very hard pressed to find any area in or surrounding PV that you can't buy bottled water. The larger grocery stores you will find everything you need, unless you have some special needs items that you would be best to bring from home.