Renting a car in PV

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

IheartMexico
PV Fan
PV Fan
Renting a car in PV

Post by IheartMexico » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:52 pm

we would like to take a trip up to San Sabastien and are considering renting a car to do so, is that a good idea or should we take the bus?

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:30 pm

The road is a little tricky, not for newbie drivers. If the bridge is open then it's fine, otherwise you need some experience for the detour road. Last time I went through (year and a half ago) it was rough, dusty and steep. Any newer info?

Mogens

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm

mgallard wrote:The road is a little tricky, not for newbie drivers. If the bridge is open then it's fine, otherwise you need some experience for the detour road. Last time I went through (year and a half ago) it was rough, dusty and steep. Any newer info?

Mogens
I was there in November and wouldn't go back. I found the road from Ixtapa a nuisance with all the speed bumps, the construction annoying closer to San Sebastian and then when we got there I couldn't figure out why we bothered. Sorry, I don't mean to sound so negative but really it was a waste of a day.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:25 pm

Did you get to San Sebastián? It's a very nice town or were you all negative by the time you got there? :-)

Greetings

Mogens

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:42 pm

mgallard wrote:Did you get to San Sebastián? It's a very nice town or were you all negative by the time you got there? :-)

Greetings

Mogens
Oh, I got there and spent a pleasant hour. I just didn't think it was worth the trip. But maybe it's somewhat different for me than for others (not you) as I've been to lots of little Mexican towns off the beaten track.

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by big guy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:49 am

WE went there a couple years ago in a rented VW.. The bridge was still being built so we had the long detour into the valley bottom and back up.The road from the highway into San Sebastion was rough and dusty. Knocked the muffler off the car! I stuck it back on and the rental company never knew. We also didn't stay there long.Had a Modelo with a couple of locals at the corner store. (that was interesting, concidering they didn't speak english and my spanish isn't very good ) We had lunch and left town.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:21 am

We went 2 years ago as well. We also had the dusty bumpy detour to the valley bottom and back up. My back was killing me by the time we got to San Sabastien. We walked around, it seemed deserted, ate a delicious cheap lunch at a little cantina and then left. Not worth the agro getting there. The views were good though but I wouldn't do it again.

Joyce

IheartMexico
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by IheartMexico » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:17 pm

so what I'm hearing is, we should rent a jeep or something and not a car? lol

How long does it take to drive there?

curvas_peligrosas
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

The road is GREATLY improved now

Post by curvas_peligrosas » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:05 pm

We go that way to GDL all the time. Last time we went was beginning November this year.
(Never in the rainy summer months - too many rockslides.).
Yes, Ixtapa has a lot of speed bumps - just watch the cars ahead of you. Or the signs.
The bridge is long finished, and the road is only bumpy in a few places now. It IS very curvy, though.
It's a beautiful drive, and worth the trip. It takes about 2 hours to get to San Sebastian.
Jeeps are better all around, for the road clearance they have over the 'topes' - out on the roads to far places, AND here in town.

IheartMexico
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by IheartMexico » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:45 pm

thanks! :D

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:52 am

A few years ago when the road was really bad, Tom and I and our friends Bill and Anna flew up to San Sebastian through PV Adventures and had a really fun day! We went to a place where they were making tortillas right in front of us, plus to a place where they grow and make their San Sebastian coffee and coffee beans which was really good. They also had a bunch of fruit that we got to walk around, look at and taste. Talk about fresh! We went to their all-inclusive hotel (the local jail) but it is closed and then to a hostel that had a beautiful courtyard for lunch. On the flight back, we flew over the bay area and saw a bunch of sting rays. It was really neat!! If we go again, we would fly up there without a doubt! Keep in mind that it is a small plane and you land out in the pasture and then a guy with a truck came and picked us up. I guess when they have their special fiesta or town celebration, you can't move in that town. It definitely was remote but fun to see and check out!!

IheartMexico
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by IheartMexico » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:54 pm

thanks Lorrie, that sounds really interesting! Has anyone done the discover Mexico or the colonial treasures tours? I've been to Vallarta a few times so I'm interested in exploring some areas outside of Vallarta this time.