Snorkeling beaches by car

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

NikkiMex
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Snorkeling beaches by car

Post by NikkiMex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:40 pm

We are going to Puerto Vallarta for the 1st time February 27th and have a car rented. We would like to travel from beach to beach to do some snorkeling. Can anyone tell me which are the best beaches for snorkeling we can drive too? Also we are looking for a good sight for road maps of puerto Vallarta and seem to be having a little trouble finding anything that is not small maps several pages to piece together.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:33 pm

The only ones I've heard about that can be reached by car are to the north. Destilladeras and Piedra Blancas I have heard are decent for snorkling but, thiis is nothing like the Carribean or Hawaii. If you find good places, please let us know.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

I would drive to Mismaloya and then have a panga (small boat) take you to Los Arcos (The Rocks). These are the giant rock islands that can be seen from just about anywhere in Vallarta. The beach has several small restaraunts where you can eat and drink. Los Arcos is a protected area and has some of the best snorkeling in the bay. It only takes about 5 minutes to get there from the beach. The cost should be no more than $20-$30 US and they will provide you with gear. When you pull in to the hotel go down the back alley towards the beach along the left of the hotel. Youre going to get swarmed as you approach the beach by people asking to take you out. Insist on Roberto. Tell him Zack from Costa Vida sent you. He will treat you right.

If you are bound and determined not to take any boat then on the way to Mismaloya there is a small area with some vendors on the side of the road just across from Los Arcos. I know theres a way to the beach from there and you can swim out from that point. I really would go ahead and go to Mismaloya and get a launch though. Its a short ride and they will take you to a much better spot