SNORKELING

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

crazy4pv
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
SNORKELING

Post by crazy4pv » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Good day!
We have never snorkeled in Puerto Vallarta and would like to this time. Any recommedations??
Thanks and I wish I had found this site earlier!!

Julie

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 pm

We usually go in Nov. and have really enjoyed snorkeling at the Marietas Islands. It's not world class but still, plenty of colorful tropical fish and maybe a sea turtle or 2. Los Arcos is the other most popular place. We went there once but it was no where near as good as the islands. The 2 tour operators we have gone with were Vallarta Adventures and Geronimo. Geronimo is a 40' catamaran, much quieter and more laid back. Vallarta Adventures uses a double Decker and more of a party atmosphere, but the crew members are very knowledgeable about the area and what you will see under water. Both very recommended. You can book tours through this site. Hope you have a great time.

crazy4pv
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

snorkeling

Post by crazy4pv » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks David, I'll make note of those...appreciate your help!

man, I am excited!!! whoohoo 2 more days til PV!

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Depends on time of year

Post by Arizona Karen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:52 pm

Snorkeling isn't good during the summer so check with the operators or others to find out when you shouldn't try snorkeling in PV.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:08 am

Snorkeling is at its best during the summer. With the rain/heat comes the clearing of the water. Visibility is good as long as there is not a storm in the area, but then you wouldn't want to be out there snorkeling anyway.

Andrea24
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

snorkeling time

Post by Andrea24 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:19 am

Los Arcos is a good area too for snorkelig, just is better if you go early!

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bgsnmky » Sat May 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Is Geronmio this site:
http://www.puertovallarta.net/tours/tou ... item&id=83

davilin wrote:We usually go in Nov. and have really enjoyed snorkeling at the Marietas Islands. It's not world class but still, plenty of colorful tropical fish and maybe a sea turtle or 2. Los Arcos is the other most popular place. We went there once but it was no where near as good as the islands. The 2 tour operators we have gone with were Vallarta Adventures and Geronimo. Geronimo is a 40' catamaran, much quieter and more laid back. Vallarta Adventures uses a double Decker and more of a party atmosphere, but the crew members are very knowledgeable about the area and what you will see under water. Both very recommended. You can book tours through this site. Hope you have a great time.

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan

south beaches

Post by bgsnmky » Sat May 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Besides taking a snorkeling trip -- are the south beaches the best for snorkeling.

I just read where the south beaches are clearer during the summer as rewer rivers empty into the bay.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun May 31, 2009 3:32 am

I orefer the south beaches for a couple of reasons:
There are more locations/options on the South beaches.
They are in the bay and not out at the mouth to open ocean.
You never know until you take the 25 mile hour boat ride out to the Marietta's what the water conditions will be like.

Anywhere around any of the rivers during rainy season can be murky as the mud, leaves, etc, was into the ocean from the force of the rivers that run for hundreds of miles into the bay. Remember it can be clear and hot in PV and raining up in the mountains, so the rivers water can still be running into the bay on a clear day in PV.

Those are my reasons and most of our customers prefer to go South.

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bgsnmky » Sun May 31, 2009 12:19 pm

If I am staying in the Hotel Zone, is the best thing to do is just take one of the tours to Los Archos (isnt' that south shore)...or if we wanted to go to the beach on the south shore ourselves, what is the best way to get there and where exactly.

Thanks.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 pm

All "tours" go to other places besides Los Arcos. If you just want to go to Los Arcos you can hire a private boat that will take you just to Los Arcos and back. You can take a bus to some of the beaches to the south, if you want to do them by yourself.