Young couple first time in PV

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

strud
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Young couple first time in PV

Post by strud » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:51 pm

Hello All,

My gf and I (young 20s) are going to be in PV this Saturday for 8nights via a last minute travel deal. We have been to the Yucatan many times, but this is the first to PV.

We are staying in Old Town right on the beach (SAN MARINO). What should be at the top of our list for things to see, do, and eat? We want to stay lowish budget and away from things that are super touristy (zip lining, atvs, etc.). I know strolling on the boardwalk is a must....

Any islands? snorkeling areas? waterfalls? animals? cool beaches out of the main town? I prefer to walk, or take a bus, or taxi. Don't plan on renting a car.

Thanks!

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:33 pm

From the San Marino, you can walk down the beach to Conchas Chinas and snorkel in front of La Playita restaurant.

Take the Mismaloya bus to Boca de Tomatlan and hike to Las Animas. Cervesas and lunch on the beach. Take the water taxi back.

Take the El Tuito bus to the Botanical Gardens and hike down to the river. Have lunch.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:48 pm

If you search this website forum, there was a recent thread that listed many, many things that you should not miss in PV.

As for eating, you have to check out some of the street vendors--- yummy and inexpensive. My favorite place is Marisma for fish and shrimp tacos; it is located on Naranjo near Basilio Badillo. You can walk there easily. Lunch only; not dinner.

There is a listing of street vendors on a different website. If you google Puerto Vallarta Street Food, you should be able to find it. Also, hit the Malecon on Saturday and Sunday evenings and plan to eat dinner at the vendors that are only there on the weekends.

The Cheeky Monkey on the Malecon has $1 margaritas and beers-- the margaritas are decent. You can watch the sunset from there.

For one nice but not expensive dinner, I recommend Barcelona Tapas; beautiful view and tasty food. With wine your bill will be around $40-50.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:55 pm

If you want to do a day trip, try taking the bus north to Sayulita. It is a small town about 1-1/2 hours by bus north of PV. Surfing is great there and they rent boards and have lessons. There are some good restaurants on the beach, spend the day. It is a whole different experience from the town of PV.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 pm

If you look now under "General Travel Tips" that thread has come back up near the top of the list. Many suggestions!!

Sally