Las Caletas or Las Marietas for Diving

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

parisha
PV Fan
PV Fan
Las Caletas or Las Marietas for Diving

Post by parisha » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi,

Has anyone dived both the sites. Which site is better? I am a recently qualified PADI diver. What would be better? If someone else who is a non diver and is joining the tour for a day which would be better?

Thanks

Parisha

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:21 pm

The Marietta's is a great dive spot....but the water can get really rough out there and you never know how it is going to be until you get out there. That is my main problem with the Marietta's, along with the fact that it is a marine preserve as well as a ecological preserve and you are not allowed to go on to the island. There is one small beach when the tide is out that you are allowed to sit on, but again that depends on the time of day and the tides. The island is the home/nesting site of the blue-footed booby birds, which are an endangered spieces, thus the reason you are not allowed to walk around on the island. This is not a problem if you never want to get off the boat but if you have someone on the boat that is not a diver, snorkler, they are basically stuck sitting on the boat the whole time.

If you have a non-diver going along for the day I think I would be more inclined to go to Las Caletas where that person could get off the boat, swim, lie on the beach, etc. while you dive.

Both are good dive sites it just depends on what you are looking for in your trip as a whole.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Does Vallarta Adventures allow people, that aren't on the tour, to hang out at Las Caletas and use their chairs, etc.? I know that all the beaches are supposed to be public, but you know how that goes.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:48 am

The beaches are all public in Mexico, their facilities...restrooms...restaurant, etc. are private., but they can't keep people off the beach, nor do they try. Of the two places the OP asked about (if they have someone who does not want to dive or spend the day just sitting on the boat) Caletas is the best of the two. Personally if it was me, I would go with Chico's dive shop or take a private boat that has the necessary permits to take people diving, then your options are wide open as to where you go and what is available for you as far as facilities.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Las Caletas

Post by webmaster » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:54 am