Fishing?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Shimano Penn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Fishing?

Post by Shimano Penn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Can anyone reccommend a boat? I looked at a few online and was shocked at the asking prices, higher than any I've ever seen and I fish a lot. They were higher than Florida, St Thomas, Hawaii... this makes no sense. I had to double check to make sure they were posted in US dollars :shock:

djaye15
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

fishing

Post by djaye15 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:12 pm

I am also looking for a recommendation..Thinking about going on DOS AMIGOS..but read an old post that said the boat wasnt that good...ANYONE????

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:46 am

My son went out on Dos Amigos last year and he said the boat was fine. He said it is a "fishing boat" not a luxury liner and if you are looking for the "love boat" don't go. LOL

Seriously, he had a good time and said the crew was good, equipment was good and he would definitely go out with them again.

tb_pdx
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tb_pdx » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Last December we went out for an 8 hour trip and had a wonderful time. We went down to the marina about the time the boats were coming in for the day and scoped out which got fish, talked to the captain's, and negotiated prices. This allows you see the boat and determine whether or not the crew knows what their doing. An 8 hr trip was $650 including water and beer.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Babalu

Post by oneistwo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:40 pm

I can't recommend Babalu too highly. We've gone out twice and had great times. Try fishwithbabalu@aol.com. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you all the contact info. Even I can afford him.

army88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by army88 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

vikingo puts us on the fish every year..last yr 9ft stripped marlin, 6 tunas, and 3 eldorados at el banco. with tip and beers purchased 600usd. young hardworking pros. located at los muertos pier.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: Babalu

Post by Plus4 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:11 pm

oneistwo wrote:I can't recommend Babalu too highly. We've gone out twice and had great times. Try fishwithbabalu@aol.com. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you all the contact info. Even I can afford him.
Several years ago Bill and I..Jimbo (smitty) and Laurie had the pleasure of meeting Louis and his wife Barbara..
Very nice people and we would not hesitate to use his fishing services..
I assume these contact numbers still work... :)
(044-322) 205-4246 (cellular) or (322) 299-4198.
Vonage (stateside) # (954) 590-2288
Nice boat.. a photo Babalu posted.. I also have seen pics of the fish that boat has brought to shore... :shock:

Joliett
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

How about sharing a charter? We are, next week!

Post by Joliett » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:49 pm

My boyfriend wants to fish, but chartering a boat is rather expensive. So we found a spot on a "shared charter" for about $150 bucks for a 8-hour trip with lunch. (We figure this way he might meet some cool people, too.) His trip is scheduled for next Tuesday -- (we land in PV this Saturday, YAY!) and we'll tell you how it was! So far I've been really impressed with the courtesy and professionalism ---

Go to -www.fishinpv.com and contact Michele.

sb2005
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Best Fishing Experience

Post by sb2005 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:39 pm

I go to Puerto Vallarta because it is authentic Mexican and very welcoming. The best fishing I have experienced is with [color=red]Manuel with Vikingo Fishing[/color]. I will be honest, I wasnt impressed with the boats, infact, I was dissapointed and almost didnt want to go when I saw our boat was only a 26 small fishing boat with twin outbaords. No luxury here. But Manuel convinced me that he had the right stuff to catch big fish, so Iwent. What I didnt realize was that a nimble boat like that is what you needed to catch lots of sailfish and thatswhat we did. I caught 5 sailfish that day, 1 was over 140 lbs. These guys are serious fishermen and always come back with fish. If you want to be pampered and airconditioned dont go there. If you came to catch fish, wow these guys are the best.

army88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

vikingo

Post by army88 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:14 pm

We have used the vikingo, and plan on seeing manuel and adrien feb. 13th. for 500 usd we fished el banco. landed 9 ft striped marlin 6 tunas and 4 el dorados. the capt.will work hard so you can catch the fish of a lifetime. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/230818 ... ost=travel.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:48 pm

As the owner of one of those 28ft "nimble" boats; just a gentle reminder, please don't over fish the bay. There are "limits" per species per boat. It is the captain that risks getting the ticket but it is the bay that loses in the long run. :)

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

C&R

Post by oneistwo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 pm

If I mention one of my local (PA, NJ) fishing trips I always get asked if I keep the fish I catch or throw them back. I laugh and I say I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

IN PV, I know at least one captain whose policy is catch and release on all billfish. Other fish: I think we learned our lesson that it's easily possible to bring home more than you can eat. I'm sure we didn't violate any limits but we ended up giving 2/3 of our fish to the kitchen help, but most of them were fish we could have taken pictures of and tossed back to fight another day.

army88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by army88 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:19 pm

How much fish can be brought back to the states? we stayed at the beunaventura last winter when we fished off the vikingo, and shared our catch with the kitchen staff as well as the capt. and first mate, and with new found friends in this forum.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

(oops)

Post by oneistwo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm

(by "home" I meant back to our condo, not to the States. Sorry about the ambiguity. There's plenty of fish in our local (Morrisville PA) market owned by Chinese and staffed by Mexicans, one of whom was whistling the tune to "Have your self a merry little Christmas..." last time we were in there. Had to laugh. Great people.)

wingit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by wingit » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Happy New Year
Last edited by wingit on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:15 am

We went out with Capt. Pete on Dos Amigos last year and it was great. As somebody said, not a luxury liner, but a nice fishing boat. We had a great time and he played fantastic music during the whole trip. It was very relaxing and he and his mate were great. I loved his dog too. He'd climb down the ladder to check out every fish we caught. He was really cute. I was very nervous about going out too far and the Capt. was very reassuring to me and I was glad I went. Maybe next time we'll go out for longer and further out.
It sounds like there are lots of good people to choose from so have fun whoever you go out with.

robrtsmtn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by robrtsmtn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:12 pm

I have a day shared fishing booked with Mike's for the 24th of this month. Keeping fingers crossed, and will report.