Pier Fishing

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Canoerick
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Pier Fishing

Post by Canoerick » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 am

Has anyone ever done any fishing from the breakwater at the entrance to the Nuevo Vallarta Marina? If not how about surf fishing in that area?

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:27 pm

I did it many years ago when there were no buildings there at all, it was pretty good. Don't know what it's like now. I would suggest very early morning and at dusk.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:32 am

The boats sit off that area for bottom fishing but you don't see alot of shore/surf fishing in PV. The majority is done by boat out on the bay either trolling or bottom fishing.

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:24 pm

If you get up early you'll see a lot of surf fishing along the Malecón beach and Los Muertos in PV. They do pretty good. I would imagine that the surf fishing is good out in Nuevo. I've heard of good sized Rooster Fish being landed. Plus no license is require when fishing from shore.

robrtsmtn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by robrtsmtn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Just to kind of bump this topic up, is there any place to pick up a relatively inexpensive surf rod while I am in PV? Always like to have something besides a drink in my hand while standing on the beach. :D

cabron
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cabron » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Specifically a 'surf' rod. hmm. maybe not. I think the American chains here Walmart etc. will just have regular rods.
Maybe Rizo's Sporting goods on the corner of Aquiles Serdan and Insurgentes on the South Side.

robrtsmtn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by robrtsmtn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks Cabron, that gives me a couple options. Love to fish, and only have one shared charter booked while I am there this month.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 pm

If you have a four-piece rod you could easily pack it to PV. I've done it with a fly rod (didn't catch anything, but since when does that matter).

You could go native; the locals use droplines, and they actually catch fish or they wouldn't bother.

Someone I heard of, maybe on this board, bought a cheapo -- a spin rod most of us would use for fresh water -- at a department store and gave it away when he was packing to leave.

Low-light times are almost always best for surf fishing, unless you find a pocket that's really deep. Fish are less visible to predators and as my mentor says, "Fish don't have eyelids" meaning they don't like the bright sun.

seann
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

shared fishing

Post by seann » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:07 pm

anyone want to share a charter the 27th 28th or 29th of Feb.
thanks

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:40 pm

A friend of mine fishes every day off Los Muertos. He caught a couple of fish off the pier and then graduated to surf fishing where he caught a tuna.

This is the first year he caught anything and he is thrilled. He brings the rod with him. But he buys the bait and the cigarettes here.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Rods

Post by oneistwo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm

I was curious myself. Wal-Mart advertises several outfits for less than $50. But the site I looked at doesn't have a "find-in-store" for PV.

Also, Master Baiters has a tackle shop. Maybe you could contact them before you go down. http://www.masterbaitersfishing.com/tacklestore.

Or this could be a great excuse to get a four-piece rod. Albright's been having some great deals. On fly rods AND spinning. I have both from them and they're great.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/conventi ... nning.html

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/conventi ... nning.html

Titus
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Titus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 pm

curious, what kind of lures and bait do people use when surf fishing down there? we will be staying in the hotel district (vallarta torres) and my buddy and I would like to get a little fishing in if possible.

nbenny
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nbenny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 am

I usually use 3/4 to 1.5 ounce casting spoons when surfcasting from shore. Haven't used a lot of bait while casting, but this is mostly a convenience issue. Use a medium heavy rod spooled with 20 lb. braid with a 20# fluorocarbon leader. I go with this lighter line because anythign heavier and you just can't cast far enough most of the time. Look for schooling fish. Last year I caught my first Jack ( at 1 in the afternoon) while surfcasting off from the beach at paradise village in Nuevo Vallarta. What a blast! I will be there in 2 weeks and hope that the fish are in....

Titus
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Titus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:25 pm

nbenny wrote:I usually use 3/4 to 1.5 ounce casting spoons when surfcasting from shore. Haven't used a lot of bait while casting, but this is mostly a convenience issue. Use a medium heavy rod spooled with 20 lb. braid with a 20# fluorocarbon leader. I go with this lighter line because anythign heavier and you just can't cast far enough most of the time. Look for schooling fish. Last year I caught my first Jack ( at 1 in the afternoon) while surfcasting off from the beach at paradise village in Nuevo Vallarta. What a blast! I will be there in 2 weeks and hope that the fish are in....
we went back in Nov, and already I wish i was going back in 2 weeks, haha.

nbenny
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nbenny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

How was the fishing when you were ther?

Titus
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Titus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm

nbenny wrote:How was the fishing when you were ther?
I bet it was good :shock:

But I was too busy drinking to notice :P

honestly there was 7 of us and we spent all our time beaching, hottubing, pooling, drinking, and down town doing all those things a second time. haha it really was fantastic trip though.

ecodiamonds
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Sweet

Post by ecodiamonds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 pm

I am so jealous.

Sounds like a ton of fun!