Pirate ship dinner or Rythm of the night @ Las Calitaa

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan
Pirate ship dinner or Rythm of the night @ Las Calitaa

Post by Oneroberta » Thu May 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Any reccomendations? We are not big drinkers but want an evening excursion....

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 pm

I have not been on either, but you will find other posts in which most people rave about the Rhythms of the Night excursion. Some say the pirate ship dinner is pretty tacky and disappointing.

I would rather spend an entire evening at a nice restaurant with a view, i.e. Vista Grill (high on the hill), La Palapa (on the beach), Barcelona Tapas. You could then go to River Cafe for dessert and listen to some live music. Maybe your planning to do all of these things!!!

Have fun!

Sally

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Oneroberta » Thu May 06, 2010 3:41 pm

We had planned a sunset dinner at vista grill and love live music...so river Cafe sounds fun... was looking for a show of some sorts ... Pirates not my thing but husband was interested ... Las caleitas looks beautiful and a boat ride sounds relaxing ... Any marachi place? Only have 4 nights :(

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu May 06, 2010 6:47 pm

I think they have mariachis every night at Pipi's Restaurant, which is loud, fun, Mexican food and seafood. It is fun to get the guacamole which is made table-side there. Moderately priced.

I am sure there are other regular mariachi performances around town--- anyone?? I'll research again since we are going in June also, and it is fun to go to outdoor concerts. Once or twice a week, there is music and dancing in the main square (zocalo) in town, very close to the Guadalupe Cathedral, just off the Malecon, near the famous arches.

We love the solo strolling guitarists as well. They wander around the Romantic Zone restaurants and play for you at your table. We usually hand them $5-10 and he will do 2-3 songs. You can ask what he charges, and you can request songs. I'm sure there is a long list of restaurants where these guitarists frequent, but we usually see them when we eat at Cafe de Olla on Basilio Badillo--- a casual Mexican restaurant that is a must when we visit PV.

Live salsa music 6 nights a week at La Bodeguita del Medio on the Malecon; all ages having fun and dancing. Mojitos are the signature drink at this Cuban hangout. This is a must also whenever we go to PV. I just wish they would play softer music when the band is taking a break. It is very loud and hard to converse in there.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I was looking on virtualvallarta.com; lots of good info....

There is a Mexican fiesta every Tues at Krystal Hotel and every Thurs at Sheraton. You might want to check the websites of these specific hotels to confirm. Sounds like some good entertainment.

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Oneroberta » Thu May 06, 2010 7:12 pm

All of that sounds like so much fun, how will we ever squeeze it in.... You say youre going in June ... Have you been there in June before? Is it terribly rainy? Or terribly humid?

calgarians
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Pirate ship dinner or Rythm of the night @ Las Calitaa

Post by calgarians » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Oneroberta wrote:Any reccomendations? We are not big drinkers but want an evening excursion....
Everyone has great ideas. But to answer your question, we have been on Rhythms of the Night twice...both times on New Years Eve. We would highly recommend it as a wonderful night, nice meal and definitely not a drunken booze cruise. The entertainment was fabulous.

Whatever you choose....enjoy!!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm

It can be humid and rainy in June, esp in the latter half of the month. When it rains, it is usually in the evening or night. At least part of each day is usually sunny. Some days can be so hot that you hardly want to do anything!! Good time to sit under a palapa and have a frosty margarita!

I like the night rain and thunder; it is amazing, and it helps to keep the town clean and the air fresh.

Sally

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri May 07, 2010 3:15 am

Don't bother with the pirate ship! I call it my one rip off event I have been on in the last few years. Maybe the day time show is good but the evening one is crowded, tacky and the food is just ok. I couldn't wait to get off. At the end of the night they asked for tips and our waiter/actor was upset that we didn't tip him enough. The tickets were expensive for what we got and unless u are sitting on the main floor you really don't get much out of it. Did I mention I didn't like it??? LOL...

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Oneroberta » Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 am

I found some clips of the pirate show on you tube and I agree look tacky!!!! I think we'll book rhythm of night, looks entertaining.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri May 07, 2010 3:43 am

I have not been on it but I have heard nothing but positive comments about it! Any other questions?? LOL....I have not been on here for awhile.

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by wyoblu » Mon May 10, 2010 2:44 am

We have been on both the Pirate Ship and Rythms of the Night. I would avoid the Pirate Ship, unless you are into the booze cruise thing. Rythms of the Night is a great trip. The show is very good and the food is good as well. We always take our new guests on Rythms and they are always impressed. Enjoy.

HunkStriker
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Pirate ship dinner or Rythm of the night @ Las Calitaa

Post by HunkStriker » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:20 am

Oneroberta wrote:Any reccomendations? We are not big drinkers but want an evening excursion....
Tequilla sunrise with juice would be best for you guys.

Its a drink but less alcohol.

It would be fits in your budget.

I think its all in every bar so you can order it.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:56 am

Hunk Striker,
I think oneroberta has been back for about 3 months. :D

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:37 am

Cute....lol.....

I can't wait!! I'm back twice this year! Once at Christmas with the family in Bucerias at Hotel Palmeras!! What to do for New Years Eve...... And again with the girlfriends last two weeks of February at the Hotel Tropicana!! WooHoo!!!

Charlie from Philly
PV Fan
PV Fan

Rythms

Post by Charlie from Philly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:44 pm

We did the Rythms of the Night trip last visit and enjoyed it so much we're taking friends this time.