South Beaches and Bus Access

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tdemo1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
South Beaches and Bus Access

Post by tdemo1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:20 am

Hi,
We will be visiting PV late Jan 2011 and would like to explore the south areas. We are interested in the nicer beaches, and if possible some snorkeling opportunities. My research is pointing at Mismaloya, Boca De Tomatlan as well as Quimixto (We would also like to hike up to the waterfall) and Yelapa. Which would you recommend for beach/water enjoyment (calm/clear water preferred) as well as the best way to get there. Should we take a panga from our hotel (Holiday Inn) or should we head south by bus (if there is bus transportation to Tomatlan for example) and then take a water taxi. Will the waterfall at Quimixto be worthwhile this time of year? Appreciate any feedback and recommendations. PS we are also considering the zipline (los Veranos).

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 am

First you need to decide if you want a bus trip to snorkeling beaches or if you want to go by boat. The best snorkeling is in areas accessible only by boat. So you can rent a panga on the beach at Holiday Inn and do a trip down south stopping wherever you want to stop and spending as much time as you want, vs a tour boat that will give you around 30/45 min snorkeling time at only one location.

If you seriously want to hike to the waterfall and you only want to do one trip you need to decide if you want to go to Quimixto or Yelapa. That will determine what areas you snorkel at.

If you only want to go to one area you can take a water taxi directly to that area but they do not go to snorkeling areas, they go to Quimixto, Las Animas, Yelapa, etc. from point A to point B.

A panga will give you ice and a cooler and the option of bringing your own drinks/snacks.

You can catch a water taxi at Los Muertos pier or Boca de Tomatlan. None of the areas you mentioned have good snorkeling you have to go past Boca and there are also some good areas past Quimixto.

Hope that helps.

tdemo1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tdemo1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Excellent!! Thanks for the Info. Do you have an idea how much it would cost to rent a panga and hit a couple of beaches, stay for the day for swimming/hiking/snorkelling and then return? Also which waterfall would be better to visit at this time of year? Thanks again for your info!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 pm

tdemo1
check your pm for some information.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm

So you can still catch the water taxi at the pier? Will be arriving in the 11th. Think we'll take the water taxi to Yelapa again...Got a real craving for pie from the pie lady.....

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:43 am

Yes you can still catch the taxi by the pier, but the loading and unloading are done in the surf. We always head to Boca and catch the water taxi there, shorter ride to Yelapa that way.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:43 am

Yes you can still catch the taxi by the pier, but the loading and unloading are done in the surf. We always head to Boca and catch the water taxi there, shorter ride to Yelapa that way.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:46 am

May have to do that....seen some mishaps with loading on the surf....

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 am

We load and unload on the beach on a daily basis without any problems. The only time you have problems are when:
1. The customers are intoxicated.
2. The customers don't listen to what they are being told.

The boat captains are pros in knowing the surf and tell you when to get on and off the boat, not a problem as long as you pay attention.

tdemo1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tdemo1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:47 am

Sounds like this is a popular trip to take. Is yelapa the prefered destination and by water taxi from Boca. Does anyone have the cost for the taxis and is the waterfall worthwhile this time of year?
Cheers

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 pm

I love Yelapa. The waterfall is small but nice. The place is quiet. AND the pie lady is there. Talked to her last year and told her about my first time there in 1984 that was right about the time she started making pie. Can't remember what I paid though..

iyamscifi2
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by iyamscifi2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 pm

from boca

20p to las animas
40p to quimixto
60p to yelapa

then you pay coming back

tdemo1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tdemo1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Sounds like we are definitely going to have to try the pies!! I am assuming it is easy to find a water taxi to come back from any of the beaches at the same return cost. We are soooo looking forward to the beautiful experiences awaiting us. Thanks for the info!

LadyLin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by LadyLin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 am

Be very careful going to Yelapa!! Some people end up falling in love with the place and going back year after year like we do. Our first trip was for a few hours, and we spent the night. Now we go every year, and find that from the moment we step off the panga into the surf, we lose all sense of time and urgency until just before climbing into the panga for the ride back to PV. We'll be back there in 2 weeks, and I can hardly wait.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 pm

We'll be back in two weeks as well and at least one trip to Yelapa is in order. Fell in love with the place in 1983. Love old Vallarta. WE were in Bucerias at Christmas with a group of friends. Took them into old Vallarta one evening. My friend said I looked like an excited little girl. I feel like I am home when I am there. Can't wait!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 pm

The pie is to die for, get it early while it is still warm and before she starts to run out. Even though it is available in PV, it just doesn't seem to taste the same as it does when you are sitting in on the beach with your toes in the sand.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 am

I so agree! Pecan chocolate..... Need I say more.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 am

NOPE, not a word! :)

lartajon
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Mexico have a lot of tourist spot!

Post by lartajon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 am

Greetings Fellas!

If we are not a miser kind, and willing to go to a very wonderful and interesting places, Mexico is one of the hottest country I should have refer to you to spend a vacation. Aside from Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta is a hotel where you could expect excellent service and perfect ambiance.

What are you waiting for tourist! Come and visit Puerto Vallarta at Mexico.

Thanks and have a great vacation!