Snorkeling the Marietas?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

KathiAdele
Snorkeling the Marietas?

Post by KathiAdele » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:53 am

Anyone done one of the day long snorkeling tours out to the Marietas Islands? If so, was it a good experience? Can you recommend a tour operator? How long does it take to get out there?
I've been coming to PV for years and never done any snorkeling there. I've snorkeled in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Hawaii and just never thought the snorkeling in PV would be very good.
What's the word?
Any info. would be helpful.
Thanks, Kathi

tojol57

Re:Snorkeling the Marietas?

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:39 pm

we have found that the snorkeling on this side of mexico is very dissappointing... nothing like the caribbean or hawaii..... i was just reading in frommers or ???? can't think of the other book, that Yelapa is suppose to be good, but i am fishing for that one....

dollard

Re:Snorkeling the Marietas?

Post by dollard » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:57 pm

Snorkling at the Marietas isn't nearly as nice as in the Caribbean but it is an interesting trip. I've always left from Anclote beach (near Punta Mita-where all the restaurants are). You can take a bus or drive to Anclote. Once there there are many fisherman waiting to take you on a tour to the Marietas. One of the two islands has steep shores all the way around. The only way to land on it is swim through a tunnel to a beach inside the island-like out of a James Bond movie. On the other island there are two beaches that you can swim/snorkel to. There are a lot of small very colorful fish. The fish are bigger at Los Arcos (near Mismaloya) but the water isn't as clear. On your boat trip you often see whales and manta rays.