Inexpensive Fishing

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:54 pm

tandr2 wrote:What kind of prices are charged down there? My husband wants to go fishing, but the only thing I could find was $420 per person (I thought) so we said No way.

Take care.

Tracy 69 sleeps!
Tracy, just sent you a PM

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:53 am

Thanks! I will ask my husband what he thinks.

Take care.

Tracy
68 sleeps!

kello1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kello1 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:42 am

Just got back from PV last night. I contacted katnsocal (katnsocal@yahoo.com) and was given a really great price for my fishing trip (site seeing tour). Email her and she can answer any questions you have. The whole experience was great. I contacted Antonio (the captain) as soon as I arrived in PV and let him know what time my wife and I wanted to go out. He picked us up at the resort and took us to the harbor. Antonio also brought some snorkel equipment in case we decided to snorkel. My wife doesn't fish at all, but she had a lot of fun. We saw schools of dolphin, a couple of manta rays, and even a school of tuna. Antonio also served as a tour guide pointing out the different landmarks and told us about some of the local customs as we trolled back to the port. We plan on going back next year and will be arranging another fishing trip with Antonio. By the way, I did catch a couple of fish and lost a couple - all in all it was well worth it.

katnsocal

Inexpensive fishing

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:12 am

Thanks again for your business and your recommendation. Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip, we will be looking for you on your next visit to PV.

Kat :D

snowshoe
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by snowshoe » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:48 pm

tandr2 wrote:What kind of prices are charged down there? My husband wants to go fishing, but the only thing I could find was $420 per person (I thought) so we said No way.

Take care.

Tracy 69 sleeps!

I just recently returned from a wonderful stay in PV. I did go fishing, I used Master Baiters Sportfishing guides and had a great time and was successful with a large Mahi-Mahi. They cut, packaged, and froze my catch! I had a fish guiding service here in Alaska (my sons now run it) and I can say that this crew for Master Baiters worked their tail off to get us fish. They should as if a fish wasn't caught they would refund 30% of the cost for the charter. We were either lucky or they were very good as all caught a fish. The boast was the "Stroker" and, I believe, the price was $140.00 or so per person for a trip that started at 7:30 am and we got back to port at about 4:15 pm. The boat takes a group of 4.

JIM

[Editor: Master Baiter's Website is: mbsportfishing.com ]

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:05 am

I went this summer with puertovallartafishing.net out for 10 hours on a private charter to Corbetena for $550. The best price I found other than that for that trip was over $300 more expensive! It was a very good trip, caught two big tuna (no marlin in the summer - next time!).

They do shared trips for under $100 a person, and their private trips start at like $300. They claimed to be the best deal in town - they may be right. We had a good time and it was sure a lot less than the alternatives I found.

billd

mismaloya

Post by billd » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:33 am

we booked a small boat to do some in bay fishing out of mismaloya for only 35$ an hour. it was fun. it was only a 16ft boat, but thats my style. we also booked a boat for 650 with masterbaiters for deep sea fishing & we only caught 1 dorado. so that was some expensive fish.

Jennybean

Re: mismaloya

Post by Jennybean » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:11 pm

billd wrote:we booked a small boat to do some in bay fishing out of mismaloya for only 35$ an hour. it was fun. it was only a 16ft boat, but thats my style. we also booked a boat for 650 with masterbaiters for deep sea fishing & we only caught 1 dorado. so that was some expensive fish.
$35 an hour?? I'm going to go out on a not very long limb here and say I'll bet you good money he was neither insured nor licensed for fishing in the bay. The cheapest licensed fishing boat (same size) in the bay will still run you in the neighbourhood of $100 because of the fishing licenses that are required for those fishing on any boat, bait, tackle, plus the fuel costs.

I'm glad you got a good deal and nothing happened to you, because if something had, you'd be SOL for reimbursement in any way. Boats like this one also make it tough for the legit guys to keep business running. As a fisherman, I know you can probably appreciate that.

Jennybean

Fishing

Post by Jennybean » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 pm

I just spoke with a couple friends re: boat/fishing costs and my $100 quote is innacurate, so please ignore it. I got "per day" mixed up with "per hour" in my head.

:oops:

It happens. Lo siento.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Inexpensive fishing

Post by katnsocal » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:11 am

$35/40 per hr. is the going rate for a "small fishing boat" aka a panga.
The cost depends on the size of the boat, one or two engines, how long you want to go for, where the fish are running, etc. You can find it cheaper sometimes but you usually get what you pay for, like a Capt. that doesn't speak english, or doesn't care if you catch fish or not, a boat with a worn out engine, bad equipment etc.

A 16 ft panga is one of the smallest ones so the price was probably a little high.

If you want to know if a boat is legal ask the Capt. to see the papers, they are required to have all the necessary permits and Seguro (insurance) papers on the boat at all times (they will be written in spanish of course, and most likely laminated copies but you should be able to read the boat name and current year's date) if they don't have them they are not operating legally, DON'T GO!

BJohnson

Post by BJohnson » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:54 pm

You do get what you pay for - pangas are just little drift boats with no restrooms, uncomfortable, unequipped, and usually without shade. If the water's choppy, you don't want to be in one, and you can't take one out to the best fishing areas like Corbetena or El Morro. Most are unlicensed, the captain speaks no English, and the gear is minimal at best.

If you are serious about fishing and about your safety, pay the extra to go on a real fishing boat. It's worth the money. When I fished there this year, it was only $400 for a full day real licensed private charter on the bay with good gear, an English speaking captain and crew, downriggers and outriggers, a restroom, fighting chairs, shade, and a cabin. It was like an extra $15 bucks if you wanted a case of beer and an extra $10 to have lunch provided. I don't remember the exact size of the boat we took, but I want to say 38 feet - quite comfortable. For four hours, I think it was more like $300, but it's hard to fish in four hours.

Seems like the name of the outfit was Puerto Vallarta Sportfishing - can't quite remember now. They had a website though, that's where I booked it through.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Inexpensive fishing

Post by katnsocal » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:40 am

pangas are just little drift boats with no restrooms, uncomfortable, unequipped, and usually without shade. If the water's choppy, you don't want to be in one, and you can't take one out to the best fishing areas like Corbetena or El Morro. Most are unlicensed, the captain speaks no English, and the gear is minimal at best.
B. Johnson Where did your vast mountain of misinformation??? May I suggest before you post information on a public forum you do a little research first. There are people who come to this forum looking for information who might actually think you know what you are talking about.

Might sound a like I am coming off as a little unfriendly but infact what you posted could possibly cause alot of good boats and hard working people in PV to lose business and that is not right.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:24 pm

BJohnson, I am by no means an expert, but I have hired two of different pangas in Vallarta for the day.

¿Drift boat? What the hey are you talking about?

1) Both were licensed.
2) Both skippers spoke excellent English.
3) Both had shade.
4) Both had more than adequate fishing and snorkeling gear.
5) Both trips the water was choppy in the afternoon coming back, no problema.
6) Both had padded seats and were perfectly comfortable.
7) You did have one thing correct, neither had a bathroom.

I have to agree with Katnsocal, you might want to do a little research before posting on a public forum.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:06 am

Have to agree with the last 2 posters. I am a licensed USCG Captain, running a boat of my own perhaps the size of the one mentioned in an earlier post. I have fished off that boat the last 2 years when fishing in the Bay. The Captain is licensed and was English speaking, the boat, engine and equiptment were first rate.

seann
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re:Inexpensive Fishing

Post by seann » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:30 pm

learning hand wrote:I will be in PV from 9/2-9/6. I would be interesting in sharing a charter with others as well.

I recently returned from the Big Island recently and I was able to call a person who arranged for shared charters. I shared a boat with 7 others and one of the party members caught a big marlin.
how was the fishing while you guys were in town next time check out puertovallartafish.com for the best big game fishing in vallarta