Inexpensive Fishing

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

wahoooo
Inexpensive Fishing

Post by wahoooo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:38 am

We (2 people) are looking to do some inexpensive fishing in PV. We want to do some fishing in the bay for maybe 6-8 hours. Does anyone know of an inexpensive charter that provides tackle on board?

katnsocal

Re:Inexpensive Fishing

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:07 pm

All of the charters provide the equipment. The cost (inexpensive) depends on what you are looking for. If you want to fish in the bay or out in the open open ocean. If you want more info on a charter in the bay, I have a boat and you can email me for details.

wahoooo

Post by wahoooo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:56 pm

I was looking for maybe dorado, or a marlin. What species live in the bay? Im not looking for off shore fishing, im looking for maybe driving out for an hour, fishing for 4, and comming back in.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:41 pm

there are a lot of different fishing excursions out of the marinas.... you might want to check on the bulletin board advertisements to find something that will fit your schedule and budget.... there are half day and all day adventures for all price ranges.... and some of them have excellent results too.... but like anything in this world... you could come up empty handed or sharing more with the captain and crew than you got to keep yourself....

good luck... and if you get a nice yellow fin tuna, take it back to your resort and have the staff make you a wonderful meal out of it....

love hugs and kisses from Iowa

stew

Post by stew » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:12 pm

Just a small Caveat. There are guys trolling around looking for people to take fishing at low prices, however they for the most part unlicensed & often their boats and/or equipment are sub standard. Also they are required to purchase fishing license for their customers, but often do not. You would be responsible for any penalty. Spend a few extra pesos for a established charter. It's well worth it.

Billfish

Post by Billfish » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 am

Or you geta three hour boat ride to the Marriettas like I did last year.

kidrick

Post by kidrick » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Hey wahooo,

When are you going? I am looking to try and share something on Aug. 9,10,11 . E-mail me if these dates fit in for you.

wahoooo

Post by wahoooo » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:33 pm

We will be there August 23rd till August 28th. If anyone wants to share a boat or if we can get in with someone, reply on this board!

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:10 am

Just a small Caveat. There are guys trolling around looking for people to take fishing at low prices, however they for the most part unlicensed & often their boats and/or equipment are sub standard. Also they are required to purchase fishing license for their customers, but often do not. You would be responsible for any penalty. Spend a few extra pesos for a established charter. It's well worth it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry Stew but you are off base on your information. Not everyone "trolling" on the beach is unlicensed. They have to have a vendors license on their person while they are working on the beach, and it has their picture on it. All one has to do is ask to see their permit. Sure there are pirate vendors selling all kinds of things but they won't have a permit with their picture on it with them.

As far as the fishing license goes, you are WRONG!!!!! If they take people out without purchasing the proper fishing license and the boat is stopped, the owner has all equipment that is being used confiscated, a report is sent to Mexico City where it goes through the equivalent of a hearing with a judge. The paperwork is returned to the boat owner from Mexico City along with the amount of the fine that is assessed. The boat owner then has to take that paperwork to the bank and pay the fine, and with the reciept from the bank they can then get their confiscated equipment back. It can take as long as a year for the boat owner to go through the process. It is not the customer that is responsible, it is the responsibility of the boat captain to obtain the license before he takes the people out. If they continue to fish without the proper license they never get their equipment back and they get all their permits pulled on the boat.

No need to misinform people with misinformation that they are going to be responsible, that the guys selling the boats on the beach are not operating legally or have substandard equipment. All you have to do is ask to see the permit and the Seguro (ins) papers before you get on the boat, if the boat is operating legally in the bay by law they have to have their papers on the boat at all times. Most of the time you what you will find it is a photocopy that is reduced down and laminated but it will have the owner's name, the boat's name and the year it is good for (for obvious reasons they do not carry the originals on the boat everyday) And if the guy really wants to mess with you, he will hand you every permit he has to pay for for the year and you will be standing there reading instead of fishing, cuz there are a ton of permits you have to have to operate a boat legally in PV.

As far as prices go, they are pretty much set on the beach, if you ask several people and get pretty much the same price and then get some guy to take you for alot less money, that should be the red flag... you get what you pay for and operating a boat on the bay in PV is not cheap. But that is not to say if a guy hasn't had a trip for a couple of days that he won't come down on his price just to make some money that day.

Stew this was not anything personal towards you, but I hate to see misinformation put out to people and it ends up hurting the guy who is just trying to make an "honest" living in PV, after all most of us will agree it is the people in PV that keep us coming back.

stew

Post by stew » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:39 pm

I not sure what you are "correcting" as I never meant to imply that only unlicensed people did this & I did not say so, Many legitimate solicit this way, that's why I urged folks to be careful checking credentials. As far as liability I must disagree with you as I personally know 2 individuals who were arrested & fined for this very thing. Now it was not in PV but in the state of Baja Sur but it does happen & it is the law.

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:22 pm

There are guys trolling around looking for people to take fishing at low prices, however they for the most part unlicensed & often their boats and/or equipment are sub standard. Also they are required to purchase fishing license for their customers, but often do not. You would be responsible for any penalty. Spend a few extra pesos for a established charter. It's well worth it.

Stew I am not here to start a battle on this board but if you read your quote above I see nowhere that you tell people to check credientials. I see you tell people for the "most part" these people are unlicensed and to spend a few extra pesos for an established charter.

You said you know personally two people who were arrested in Baja Sur, well PV is not Baja Sur and each "Harbor Master" in Mexico runs his harbor according to how he reads the rules. Hey it's Mexico! So what I posted is what happens in PV since that is what we are talking about and not Baja Sur.

wahooo

Post by wahooo » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:09 pm

ANYONE WANNA SHARE A BOAT????? We will be in PV from the 23rd till the 28th of August. We would be more than happy to go on a 6 or 8 hours fishing trip. The boat can take up to 6 passengers. Anyone interested? We would be using this charter (http://www.fishpuertovallarta.com/pages ... tions.html) This way we can split the cost and keep it inexpensive! This would be our first time fishing in PV.

Email me at TKE1511@yahoo.com if you anyone is interested!

PV fishing freak

Post by PV fishing freak » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:36 pm

That charter boat is booked 23,24,and I have it on the 25th. When are you planning on fishing?

wahooo

Post by wahooo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:25 am

I dont know when. If anyone has an available boat, I would be more than happy to pay and join in. Im just going for a good time. Any fish I catch you can have!

learning hand

Post by learning hand » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:00 pm

I will be in PV from 9/2-9/6. I would be interesting in sharing a charter with others as well.

I recently returned from the Big Island recently and I was able to call a person who arranged for shared charters. I shared a boat with 7 others and one of the party members caught a big marlin.

pusuzyhomemaker

Post by pusuzyhomemaker » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:26 pm

There are fishing parties that go out for 8 hours from 8am to 4pm with 6 passengers & they supply the fishing tackle, bait and ice. The cost is $120 USD per person. There are 2 good boats that arrange this. There may be other boats also that do this but we at Charter Dreams deal with one company that has these 2 boats. You can bring your own food & beverages or they can arrange it for you for $10 USD per person. Also, so far, one fishing license is required per every 2 persons. The cost of the license is $130 pesos or about $13 USD. You can contact me vallartabookings@yahoo.com and I can arrange these fishing parties for you.
As one earlier post mentioned, you can get a 3 hour ride to the Mariettas and only spend 2 hours fishing & a 3 hour ride back. You get what you pay for.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:43 pm

katnsocal (Jul 22, 2005 11:22 a.m.):
There are guys trolling around looking for people to take fishing at low prices, however they for the most part unlicensed & often their boats and/or equipment are sub standard. Also they are required to purchase fishing license for their customers, but often do not. You would be responsible for any penalty. Spend a few extra pesos for a established charter. It's well worth it.

Stew I am not here to start a battle on this board but if you read your quote above I see nowhere that you tell people to check credientials. I see you tell people for the "most part" these people are unlicensed and to spend a few extra pesos for an established charter.

You said you know personally two people who were arrested in Baja Sur, well PV is not Baja Sur and each "Harbor Master" in Mexico runs his harbor according to how he reads the rules. Hey it's Mexico! So what I posted is what happens in PV since that is what we are talking about and not Baja Sur.
For the record kats...your clarification was in fact "necessary"...Baja "Where"?? lol Who cares what they do THERE?? And furthermore, I'd go with YOU directly, before I went through any "booking company"...

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:14 am

Winterpeg Man,
Anytime you want to go, you know how to find me.

rdeford
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by rdeford » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:08 pm

katnsocal,

Please send me info on going out with you for fishing and maybe snorkeling. We will be down there Dec. 14-21.

Thanks.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 pm

What kind of prices are charged down there? My husband wants to go fishing, but the only thing I could find was $420 per person (I thought) so we said No way.

Take care.

Tracy 69 sleeps!