Top 5 things you have seen or done in Puerto Vallarta.

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

shyguy
PV Fan
PV Fan
Top 5 things you have seen or done in Puerto Vallarta.

Post by shyguy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:23 pm

I think this will be a good way to share experiences and personal favorites.

stew

Re:Top 5 things you have seen or done in Puerto Vallarta.

Post by stew » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:07 pm

1. Sunset at the El Nido at Los Cuatro Vientos
2. A trip to Bucerias
3. Over night in Yelapa
4. Dinner at Café El Repollo Rojo (The Red cabbage)
5. Go over the Tomatlan Falls

Last but not least the best of PV is free or almost. Walking the Malecon with a fresh bag of 5 peso popcorn, meditating at the upper end of the Isla del Rio Cuale or wandering the hills above town. Watching the beach vendors peddling their wares & enjoying the antics of tourist, gringos & Mexican at the beach. Bargaining in the markets, shopping at Supermarket Gutierrez Rico or having a paleta (Mexican ice) at any of the stands or eating at any of the taco stands on Calle Madero. Most of all embrace the culture, get out of your A/C luxury A/I towers & meet the people.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:21 pm

top five best things to do or see in Puerto Vallarta.... WOW you are asking alot, because just about anybody and everybody will have five somethings they liked or did... I am not say that Stew's suggestions are any better than mine or the next guys... i guess we have been coming to PV for 12 yrs now... i guess that is twelve somethings instead of five. The city, the culture, the people, the food, the experience of being in a city like PV and so much old world culture with some of the modern things that go with them... it is wonderful, fantastic..... think about going Mach 1 with your tail on fire... that would be all the partying you could do at the Clubs and disco's in Puerto Vallarta.... and now think about taking that slow boat to China.... you can find a nice quiet resturant, sit back enjoy the views, your companion, the ambience, etc... and just enjoy... that is something too.... if you are looking 5 touristy things to do... again that depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend etc.... but here is my list for you to think about and research.... you said you were taking your girlfriend with you right.... ok then....

1) Rhthym of the Nights
2) Las Caletas by Day
3) Sunday night on the Malecon
4) San Sabastian Tour (Historical venue)
5) Andale's, Chrisine's, Cheeseburger's In Paradise, etc... so many wonderful places along the malecon

there you have it for what it is worth....

have a great time in a wonderful city.... embrace the moment....

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:01 pm

Lots of great things to do that are quite inexpensive. My favorites:

1. 12th of December, the last day of the celebration or festival of the Virgin of Guadalupe. So much to see, eat and enjoy.
2. Watching the sunset and sipping a margarita from almost anywhere with a view of the bay.
3. Taking the bus to Boca de Tomatlan, then the water taxi to Las Animas, leaving early enough to arrive before the big boats.
4. Taking the bus out to Playa Destiladeras for another lazy day, lunch and cervezas on the beach.
5. Walking, window shopping, people watching all around downtown, grabbing quick, cheap eats at a taco stand.

jjbcroft
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by jjbcroft » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:27 pm

Wow, only 5? Ok, here's my list, although the order changes every time I think about them!
1. Sunday night on the Malecon - peoplewatching, eating from the local food vendors, enjoying the people of Mexico and watching the sunset
2. Andale's - sing along with the rest of the bar to the "Alice" song (Tom, I STILL have to get a copy of that song to you!)
3. Spending the morning at the flea-market, bargaining for souviniers
4. Margaritas - they just taste better in Puerto Vallarta!!
5. Sitting on the beach in the hot sun with a cold cocktail thinking about the people back in Iowa shoveling 15 inches of snow!!!
AAHHHHH, it doesn't get any better than that!!

jj

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:02 am

1. Sunday night @ Malecon.
2. Breakfast @ Freddie's Tucan
3. Watching the sunset, anywhere as long as you are in PV
4. Catching some quality rays, while sipping on a local beverage
5 La Bodegita del Medio, a Cubano dance bar across the street from the malecon.

Banana boat

Post by Banana boat » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:15 pm

1. Whale watching at punta mita
2.Soak up the sun at Las Animas Beach
3. Sitting on a bench at El Malecon day or night and sip a Tuba Drink
4. Watching sunset anywhere in PV
5. Walking on Olas altas zone at night

shyguy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by shyguy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:07 pm

a few people hear said "Sunday night on the Malecon"... can somebody tell me what is going on Sunday night that is so awsome... im thinking about going ther now.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:20 pm

It's like a street festival. Music, food, art, live mimes - that sort of thing.

The Malecon is the beachfront boardwalk, and Sunday night is the night for the locals and their families to "parade" and socialize. It's an ages old tradition that is done in almost every Mexican town or city I've been in, only exception is that in PV it's not done on a town square or plaza, it's done along the sea wall.

It's something I wouldn't dream of missing if this is your first trip. It's also a great venue to people watch, either from the Malecon or from one of the streetfront restaurants or bars.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 pm

Public dances with live music, musical groups with CDs for sale, local favorite foods and drinks for sale, local artists, and occasionaly something out of the ordinary, ie the mayan sky dancers that were there this June. I really make it a point to cruise the malecon on Sunday nights.

shyguy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by shyguy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:58 pm

Wow! thanks for all this great inside info, i would have never known about this...
what time does this "festival" start? and is the festival every Sunday night?

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:05 pm

We have always been there around 6p heading to find a resturant. And as far as I know this is pretty universal throughout the latin countries.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:19 pm

yo, shy guy... head down anytime... we usually head down mid to late afternoon... grab a bite to eat, or grab a window table so that we can watch the people... a bucket or two of cervasa... then out for dessert from the local vendors, catch the guy spray paint art by hooters, watch the dancers at the plaza square... check out all the arts and crafts, watch some of the local school kids put on shows, plays, or choral groups singing... it is just totally awesome... and then yes grab a taxi head for Andales' with our dear friends JJ and JC... and YES i am still waiting for my copy of the Alice song... and JJ if you aren't careful, you will be riding the burrow in February... LOL and i don't mean JC either... YIKES i didn't say that... but it is a time honored tradition... there are some of the older parts of the city that our friend Kassiano and Isabell took us one year... and it was in the square of the city, and we had sweet corn with lime juice and mayonase... don't laugh it is good.... try it....

love hugs and kisssses from Iowa...

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:12 pm

You bet, the sweet corn is a must try.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:55 pm

Nothing better than sipping on a sweet, cold Agua de Jamaica (pronounced "hamayka") and munching on a cup of elote with all the trims...butter, mayo, chili, lime - while meandering down the Malecon to check out the art and the music.

Oh man, I'm making myself hungry and miserable for sunshine and sea. 64 days!

pv girl

Post by pv girl » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:45 pm

my top 5 things would be
1. the people, they are alll so nice and friendly
2. the booze
3. the atv tour, sooo much fun, we went with Best Ride
4. malecon board walk
5. Pipi's, we had soooo much fun there!, the staff are really friendly... i deffinetly recommend go there

hoolia
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by hoolia » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:50 pm

Mr&MrsCrownParadise (Aug 11, 2005 06:19 p.m.):
yo, shy guy... head down anytime... we usually head down mid to late afternoon... grab a bite to eat, or grab a window table so that we can watch the people... a bucket or two of cervasa... then out for dessert from the local vendors, catch the guy spray paint art by hooters, watch the dancers at the plaza square... check out all the arts and crafts, watch some of the local school kids put on shows, plays, or choral groups singing... it is just totally awesome... and then yes grab a taxi head for Andales' with our dear friends JJ and JC... and YES i am still waiting for my copy of the Alice song... and JJ if you aren't careful, you will be riding the burrow in February... LOL and i don't mean JC either... YIKES i didn't say that... but it is a time honored tradition... there are some of the older parts of the city that our friend Kassiano and Isabell took us one year... and it was in the square of the city, and we had sweet corn with lime juice and mayonase... don't laugh it is good.... try it....

Mr. & Mrs. CP - While in PV in June we went to Andele's and bought a copy of the "Alice" song with about 20 other songs on the CD. I wasn' leavin without a copy, it is great, my husband does Karaoke in our small community and plays the song after all the kiddies go home. We are going again to PV Oct. 25, whoo hoo!! Judy

beach_girl13

Post by beach_girl13 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:31 am

The mayan sky guys...where those the guys with the large pole and the ropes and some sort of flute?

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:30 pm

Si, we usually see them in Tulum.

nick
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by nick » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:28 pm

Top 5 things for me were:
1)The first intial check in....smelling the ocean, seeing Polo, walking past the pool to the beach to stare out at the ocean.
2) Having Sol Beer (many of them)
3) ParaSailing
4)Dune Buggy ride (given a personal tour for just my wife and I)
5) Visting downtown no matter what time a day

So much fun so little time to do it all in. That's why we keep going back.

Great Top 5 everyone,
Nick