Bargaining in PV

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

eleana
Bargaining in PV

Post by eleana » Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:36 pm

Just returned and I enjoy shopping myself. I must admit I did not indulge in shopping for myself but I did have luck shopping for souvenirs for family and friends.

My recommendation would be to scope out prices on your beach the first day or 2. Usually counter offer a little less than half of their first offer. They probably act like they are offended but that is the name of the game. Do not buy anything until you get a chance to go to the 2 markets in Old Town. The prices on the beach will give you and idea if you are totally being ripped off at the market. It's funny because my husband and I would ask about an item - the vendor would give us his/her first price, we would counteroffer with a price a little less than half, the vendor would hum and hoe and offer 75% of his/he original price, we would then say"But we're Canadian our dollar is not that great", the vendor would go down again slightly, and then my husband and I would say "We will think about it" and would walk away. I kid you not each step we would take the price dropped down further and further especially near closing time. A definate day to scout out prices is a must if you like to feel like you are getting the best prices - this drove my husband CRAZY as he is NOT a shopper - he could not understand how I could shop without buying anything!

Also it helps if you have one person in your group seem like the unhappy boss - my husband would say how much is this ring and what ever was said I would say that's too much, you could get that in Canada for that price, no - let's think about it. So your bargaining power increases when there seems to be an unagreeable boss and make it very apparent to the vendor that you are not happy until you get them down in price.

The more you buy the lower the price is true, but do not let the vendor know you are buying a few more of the same item until you have talked down the price for just one - then pull out your ace and say'"How about if I buy 2 of these?" " How about if I buy 3 of these?" etc. The price will drop. For example, we wanted something and the initial price was 200 pesos and by the time we told the beach vendor we could get it at the market for 30 pesos each - he reluctantly agreed. Then we told him that we wanted 6 of the same item and he dropped it down to 25 pesos each - and that was a steal!!!!

Remember if you are not happy with the price - walk away and compare!

Happy shopping!

Eleana