Bringing fish to the US

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Bringing fish to the US

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:41 pm

I am planning to do some fishing in PV. Does anyone know if fish can be brought back to the US? When I went to Cabo, I took an empty cooler and filled it with tuna and had no problems bringing it back, but that was 10 years ago. Also, I didn't want to take a cooler; would I be able to buy one there?

stew
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Bringing fish home

Post by stew » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:04 pm

No Sweat with your fresh fish. The only problems I've ever had was once I tried to bring in some lunch meet that customs grabbed, maybe for their lunch! LOL Also no fruit or veggies por favor.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Some guys went fishing from the GCP and the fishing charter company, sorry I don't know the name, dressed the catch and packed it in styrofoam coolers with dry-ice. Seems pretty easy to me.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:47 am

According to the U.S. customs website ( http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/ ... tion/kbyg/):
Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible.
Read the answer to the topic: "What food can I bring into the United States (fruit, cheese, meat, etc)?" It is near the bottom center of the page.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:39 pm

You can easily buy a cooler at Walmart, Mega, Gigante, Soriana, any of those places. We bought a large coleman cooler and packed our fish in it. Then we had the hotel store it for us in their large freezer unitil we had to go home. When we left we got it out and went straight to the airport. We checked the cooler through as baggage. We had a hitch in that our flight was delayed and we didn't make our connecting flight back to St. Louis. It was the last flight out so we had to spend the night in Houston. The hotel in Houston stored our fish in their freezer. We got it out in the morning and rechecked it again. We managed to get it home with no thawing. Amazing!!