Christmas in Puerto Vallarta

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

momtomany
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Christmas in Puerto Vallarta

Post by momtomany » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:32 am

Hello Everyone; I have a couple of questions. I'd like to thank everyone for all the intresting and valuable posts I have learn't from. We are travelling to the Holiday Inn P.V.for Christmas. I would like to have a special dinner/brunch for Christmas morning. We are a family of 5, 3 teenagers! I read somewhere that Christmas Eve is more celebrated than the 25th. Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestion for a great holiday meal? I have been away for Christmas to Hawaii but never Mexico, please explain what we are in for. Thanks Wendy

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm

We've only been at an all inclusive at that time (with our teenagers) and things went on as they normally do. Our normal vacation time is from around Dec 21-23 thru Jan 4-7 always AI, and found that except for the New Years party, everything else was pretty much the same every day. Of course there were lots of families with their kids, so that in itself is party time for them. IMHO

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Maybe Bruce (teatrolimon) could come up with something for you.

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:52 am

With 3 teenagers the only thing you have to worry about is getting them back to the hotel at a reasonable hour on Christmas eve! I've been to PV a couple times for Christmas and it was a blast Christmas eve. Christmas day didn't get going until about noon as everybody was sleeping off the night before. All that said, my best Christmas day's were spent running into the ocean in Puerto Vallarta in the early afternoon.

Enjoy your trip!

TIM

momtomany
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by momtomany » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:57 am

Thanks for the comments so far. So is Christmas Eve more celebrated than Christmas Day? And which meal should we have as our "special meal" ? I'm thinking we could probaly make reservations when we get there.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:12 am

I am not sure what all the places are like, but we had no trouble eating at the Sheraton on Christmas eve four years ago. We had four of us and I think there may have been 1 or 2 other tables being served that evening. I am not sure why there was so much available as the food was fantastic.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

special meal

Post by pvgemini » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:05 am

You might check out chowhound.com for restaurant advice. When you say teenagers, even though you want a "special" meal, you likely want large portions and value? For this, I highly recommend Cafe de Olla. The women usually split plates there and are full. Very reasonable prices. Great seafood and Mexican specialties-- fun place, clean but not fancy. They DO take reservations, despite what you might read on the internet. Call them for a reservation. They speak English.

If the price does not matter to you, and you want a multi-course meal, then really nice places are El Arrayan, Vista Grill, La Palapa, Daiquiri Dick's, The River Cafe, Trio, Cafe des Artistes.

I also like Barcelona Tapas, "small plates" so you get to try lots of things. Gorgeous view! Very nice although not really fancy. Decent prices.

Sally

momtomany
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by momtomany » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:21 am

Happy New year everyone! What a way 2008 ended for us.Because of the terrible winter weather in Terrace B.C. we had to purchase new airline tickets to Vancouver B.C. Arrived in Vancouver only to find out our flight to Portland Oregon was also now cancelled. Not wanting to miss our flight the next morning we rented a car and drove it to Portland Oregon. Arrived at midnight got rested for our early morming flight to Lax. Arrived at PDX ready to checkin and then were told that flight also was cancelled. What an emotional trip. Alaska Air then found flights for us but could only get us to LAX via Phoenix Arizona.
Long story short we never made it Mexico.Our 2 families that we were travelling with did though. They stayed at the Holiday Inn where we also were booked. They thought the condo's booked through VRBO were perfect for them. They enjoyed the property and took advantage of a couple of tours. Thet liked the ATV tour and Zip line booked through Los Veranos.Just a side note I also had booked Zip line tours for my family and at the gate at Portland when we realized we were not going to get to Puerto Vallarta I emailed Los Veranos to tell them I would need to cancel them and immediatly they refunded my money we were very greatfull. I guess it just wasn't our turn to go to Mexico.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:36 am

Awww very sorry you did not make it to Mexico...
Yes this year had been a crappy year for weather in Canada..

YOUR turn will come... :)

Happy New Year momtomany

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 pm

what a nightmare! that is such a bummer!! I live in Portland, so I know how awful it was here. very unusual weather for Portland. just save all the info you gathered, as the good companies (i.e. Los Veranos) and good restaurants are unlikely to go out of business.

your time will come.......