best AI in PV

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

DomesticEngineer
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
best AI in PV

Post by DomesticEngineer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:06 pm

This will be our first trip to PV. We are looking for any insight you all can give us. Thansk :lol:

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:01 pm

not to be a "butt" here, but you could also try the search feature on the task bar up above, do a little reading and research first and then ask a better, more thought of question before firing off such a vague question...

there are so many wonderful places for adults only and family all-inclusives, then you have all the ale carte hotels and resorts that can be just as economical, you just don't have to stay on property to dine all the time... are you looking for a family all inclusive, or adults only... close to down town, or out in Nuevo Vallarta.... lots and lots of places to suggest to you... how much do you want to spend, upscale, middle of the road, or just something nice... if you are travelling with family, ages of the children that may or may not be travelling with you, activities you are looking for to enjoy, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on......

sorry ... :twisted: :wink: :lol: 8)

DomesticEngineer
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by DomesticEngineer » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:18 am

OPPS sorry every one I didnt meant to post this twice! :? any way, yes thanks for the info & I have searched the above task bar, but I want real reviews from people that have been to these places, not reviews that the hotel has decided to make up or do selective posts with. I have gone by the hotel web site & reviews before & was VERY dissapointed. Hubby & I are looking to travel in mid Jan. We are looking for AI this vacation, we are needing some much needed R & R after a long chili harvest here in AZ. We arent sure about which area yet but for sure NOT the marina area. We want beach, shade, food, drinks, sightseing & make a few trips into town to check it out. I hope this helps with any suggestions. Just want real reply from real people. Pro's & con's, do's & dont's!! Thanks

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:07 pm

DomesticEngineer wrote:OPPS sorry every one I didnt meant to post this twice! :? any way, yes thanks for the info & I have searched the above task bar, but I want real reviews from people that have been to these places, not reviews that the hotel has decided to make up or do selective posts with. I have gone by the hotel web site & reviews before & was VERY dissapointed. Hubby & I are looking to travel in mid Jan. We are looking for AI this vacation, we are needing some much needed R & R after a long chili harvest here in AZ. We arent sure about which area yet but for sure NOT the marina area. We want beach, shade, food, drinks, sightseing & make a few trips into town to check it out. I hope this helps with any suggestions. Just want real reply from real people. Pro's & con's, do's & dont's!! Thanks
Not a problem... well if you want an adults only all inclusive atmosphere, i would suggest the Golden Crown Paradise.... we are 10 times returning guests, and we will be there for our 11th vacation to this resort Feb 10 - 24... you are like 5 - 10 minutes from the airport, you are 5 - 15 minutes from various spots downtown, if you are looking for a day cruise out into the bay for whale watching, or to Las Caletas by day or night, or the pirate ship, you are a stones throw away from the marina area for these adventures... my wife and i can walk from our resort to (ok gang where is it we walk to and back) yes it is Hooter's... we can get there in about 45 minutes to an hour depeding on our pace, or if we slip into a Super La Playa to check booze prices, or one of the shops along the way, etc... Good food, good restaurants, great staff, and close to just about anything and everything.... if you go to the picture section look for some of the my posts of pictures from the resort, restaurants that we go too etc...

let me know if you have any other questions about this resort...

tom aka Mr Crown...

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:59 am

I'll throw a plug in for the GCP also.
Adults only.
Close to town $4.00 by taxi or as Tom said less than an hours walk.
All a'la carte dinning.
Strong and plentiful drinks.
Wonderful staff members.
Nice pool and beach.
Much more, but I am too tired to list any more here.

Do yourself a favor and read some of the trip reports about the GCP. That might help in your decision.

BTW we are a 12 time repeater to this resort.

Redd
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Redd » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:36 am

Hi,
I also vote for the Golden Crown Paradise...when I go back I will definately stay there again. It is a very friendly environment and the staff, food and drinks are wonderful!
Have fun!
Jane

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:34 am

I've only ever stayed at the Canto del Sol in PV so I have nothing else to compare it to but it was fabulous, no complaints from us.

Joyce

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:50 pm

WOW Tom I thought maybe you were under the weather after your first post on this thread with no hint of "GCP". But I was happy to see you were feeling ok after reading your second post :lol: ( ok That fills my weekly good natured jab :wink: )

We Love the Allegro out in Nuevo Vallarta. It's not the most fancy resort but feels the most like home to us. Nice area and beach, good food and a great friendly staff. Yes as some will say it is a ways out of town but we usually only go into town one day to shop and walk around and maybe one night for dinner and bars. Check my www link below for pictures of the resort. Years 1998 to present are at the Allegro.

Condor Image

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:59 am

Hey there Condor... every now and then i try to fish for information before setting the hook... LOL i can't just keep throwing dynamite in to get my limits either... LOL oh well... i was feeling fine in the first post, unfortunately was probably just a little "bitchy"... if you know what i mean... oh well... i still got my promotional sales pitch in for the GCP... but you know we have stayed at the Allegro before, and the Sierra next door, before we started staying at the GCP....

there are many many wonderful resorts to choose from...

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 am

Tom, after reading these boards, the other half and I decided on the GCP for our vacation this year, we'll be there on the 12th of March.

The only things I need more information about are the beach (size, surf, vendors / timeshare vultures), and how much it costs to upgrade your room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

DomesticEngineer
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by DomesticEngineer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:29 pm

OK we all agree on GCP ! cool that decision is over OK now on to the do's & dont's of what to see & do. any great places to eat or NOT eat?

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grand Velas

Post by webmaster » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Grand Velas (http://www.grandvelas.com) is without a doubt the best AI in the area, but then the question is, do you have the money to enjoy it without going bankrupt? :lol:

Greetings

Mogens
Last edited by webmaster on Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

GV

Post by Jennybean » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:27 pm

Grand Velas is indeed grand. Everyone I know who has been there, stayed there, toured it, or just gone out to use the world class spa has just raved about the place.

But yes, you would have to sell a small child or many internal organs to finance that trip unless you were independently wealthy. Especially in the high season. :lol:

That said - they do run some specials in the summer season for weekend jaunts and such, so if anyone were so inclined and had the pesos to give it a try for a couple of days, I'd say go for it.

As far as best AIs in town, GCP, Premier (optional AI), Holiday Inn, Melia, Velas Vallarta, Sheraton and Dreams seem to get the highest ratings. For a mid price range AI, Buenaventura and Playa Los Arcos get good reviews for everything but the food (which gets average, so-so or just "meh" reviews).

tojol57

GCP

Post by tojol57 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Well DE and Tim25...

If you don't mind, why don't you e-mail me some of your questions about the GCP and i will address them one on one... and then we can come back to the BB and share them with the rest of the world...

You can go the picture section and see pictures of Lorrie's and my adventtures there, i think Redd has some posted out there as well...

The GCP has some excellent resturants on property for your pleasures too, as well as next door at the CPCR (family all inclusive)... you are close to one of the hottest discos in town at Christine's, you are 5 - 15 minutes from the various points of interest downtown by taxi... where there is tons of shopping, dining, partying, and the best of all "people watching"... Get down there on a sunday late afternoon, and enjoy the food, the vendors, the arts and crafts.. etc... it is just so much fun...

As for the beaches it is a nice beach not too big, not too small, etc... the vendors can be a little annoying, but a polite "no gracias" and off they go, but will be back again in 15 minutes to half hour, but that is because that is how they make a living... beach is good for walking too in the mornings and evenings too... Lorrie and I walk it at least 4 or 5 times a day... between swimming, eating, drinking, playing in the pool, talking, drinking, socializing, another round of cocktails, a grilled mahi mahi sandwich, the sundance, tequila volleyball, toast the sunset, off to dinner, over to the shows across the street, back for more cocktails or off to Andales etc... and then zzzzzzzzzz up at 7 am and start all over again... for 14 days we do this... over and over again it is fantastic....

let me know what else we can do for you....

PVinJan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Walk to town

Post by PVinJan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:54 pm

I will be staying at the RIU Vallarta (new PV side) in mid January for 8 days and wondering how far of a walk it is to downtown PV? Anyone know? This is a great forum for questions newbie "PV ins"-thanks to all.

randyhawk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyhawk » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:27 pm

pvJan

when are you going...where are you staying.........maybe we can all hook up ...just a thought as my first time in PV

PVinJan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Randy

Post by PVinJan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 pm

We are staying at the Riu Vallarta between 1/13-1/21!! Where are u staying? We are sun fanatics so if the sun is out we will be in it!!! I want to do that ATV tour-sounds great! 4 hrs for $90 not bad.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Riu

Post by Jennybean » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:45 pm

The Riu Vallarta is not walking distance to PV...unless you're into long distance hiking. :lol:

The Riu Vallarta isn't IN Vallarta - it's out in Nayarit state, in Nuevo, way north of PV. Neither the Riu Jalisco nor the Riu Vallarta are in Jalisco state or in Vallarta.

That's the ironic part. LOL

So plan on taking lots of buses and taxis if you expected to be in Vallarta to sample the shopping, dining, nightlife and such. Sorry to burst the bubble...your travel agent should have noted this for you.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:10 pm

Oh My yes that would be an endurance hike that is for sure. But then again, you are at some of the nicest walking beaches in the area as well as a quaint little town called Bucerias... but make sure you do grab the buss into town... then taxi back... or taxi in and bus back....

have a great time...

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:36 pm

Personally I think it is to far by bus also. Stayed out that way couple of years ago, I believe it took over 45 minutes by taxi, and he was flying. That would be a three day walk for me. I am sure a bus ride one way would be considerably longer, but definitely cheaper. Plus, not on PV water system so drink bottled only, etc. etc, and for some reason it is in a different time zone too.

On the plus side, Bucerias is a quaint little community, good prices at their market.