GCP Questions

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

load_warrior1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
GCP Questions

Post by load_warrior1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi all, my wife and I are hoping to take our 10th trip to PVR 12/1 - 12/8. We usually stay at the Marriott (have stayed at Krystal and Palladium/Viva also), but they have a golf tourney that week and last year they kind of dominated the place. I figured this is a good time to try GCP, which I know is a fave of a lot of you. But when I went to TripAdvisor I found some less favorable reviews. Has the quality declined recently? Is it just a 'summer thing'? We generally go into town most nights, so I'm not too worried about the food, but a bunch of people mentioned getting sick which kind of concerns me, and also indifferent service.

tojol57

12 time visitor

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:24 pm

Well i guess everybody is going when is tom going to come out of the wood work and jump all over this post, and hammer down on TA... i too have been monitoring the comments about the GCP on TA as well as over here...

Disclaimer - no matter what i say or do, it is all up to you to make your vacation what you want it to be.... now that being said:

We would not have been coming to this place for the last 10+ years, been here 12 times, as recent as February 2007... as for people getting sick at the resort... i realize these people are adults, but they are staying at an "all-inclusive" resort for the first time... for the first time they have not had to dig into their pockets for a beer, cocktail, food, it is carte blanche and they think they have to do it all in the first day... I personally know both of the head chef's at the resort, and they do an excellent job with preperation and with their staff... again that being said....

This is a quaint little resort - the staff is wonderful, and the managment team is always walking about the resort checking on things... they are the one's with the kahki slacks and blue shirts... can't miss them... there are two specialty resturants on property that require men in long pants, shirts and closed toed shoes... women are pretty open ... reservations are made at the activities palapa every day for that night... Paradise and Salvador's... Bella Vista is the open air resturant for Breakfast, lunch and dinner... you have access to the facilities next door at the sister resort the family all-inclusive... you are about 15 mintues by taxi from down town... and we too go downtown a lot as well... we have our favorites too... but that is what is nice about us and all inclusive, we can come and go as we please...

Personally, i find a lot of the posts about resorts in PV especially the GCP are from people that don't know how to relax on a vacation...

if you wish, you can e-mail me, or pm me, and i will share pictures with you... or go look for my pictures from the year before's vacation here in the picture sections....

Tom aka Mr Crown...

load_warrior1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

tojol57...

Post by load_warrior1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 pm

... women are pretty open ...
I like the place already!

All seriousness aside, I take the opinions on TA like I take my tequila, with a grain of salt. I'm sure some of the 'bad food' is really 'mucho cerveza', and some of the bad service is bad manners by tourists. I was just curious if there'd been some sort of general decline, sounds like not.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:25 pm

We stayed at the GCP last November with a group of friends. The resort was wonderful, the staff great. The only complaint from our group was the dress code for dinner.... HOWEVER... the food was wonderful there. If you are not into the long pants... don't fear! The pool side food is very good as well. No long pants required! We chose the option of eating el fresco by the pool a few nights, and were very impressed with our service and meals. Have fun!!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Whooo I'm back...I am now a big poster on TA only because I've been going to the Riviera Maya so much.

Do yourself a favor and try the GCP. We have been there 12 times but it has been over 1.25 years since our last stay. Every time was fantastic and I really can tell you I never had a complaint. You can't beat the staff, food, facilities and drinks.

I would have been there this past June as usual, except my father celebrated his 80th BD and my son (28) had a very bad car accident. Insted, we opted for the east coast again at the El Dorado Seaside Suites, for mid September. Funjet, who we always use to go to the GCP is running flights out of STL really late in the day so we would lose one day of vacation.

Any way, unless you see 25% bad reviews or more for a particular resort on TA, don't pay much attention to them. During our last stay at the GCP there was a couple from CA who were there the exact same week and she trashed the place awfully. When I read it, I couldn't believe I had been at the same resort.

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:00 am

We have stayed at GCP 9 times, our 10th is coming up. We have found the food to be pretty darn good. The summer months are hot and humid beyond your imagination, if people don't drink at least a gallon of water a day (IMO) you will get dyhrated and sick. that is the "key" we have found, drink drink drink water! Of course that is between the good liquor provided. It kind of becomes a system between drinking the the good stuff and keeping enough water in you, repeat visitors to PV will know waht I am taling about!

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by pauline2006 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:55 pm

The food is Amazing. Resort is great. I'm sad I missed the turtle Release on the Wednesday night on the Beach!

As for the complaint of a Dress Code for dinner...its finer dining, amazing food..and worth the extra clothes..For the level of dining, quality, presentation of the food one should expect to put on a few more pieces of clothing than at the buffet!

Very much worth it!

pvfunlover
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvfunlover » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:32 pm

As a 6 time guest at the GCP (most recent May 2007) I can honestly say that I've thoroughly enjoyed each and every trip. The staff are the best, the food is great and I feel like family more and more each trip. Any complaints I've had (very few and mostly minor) were dealt with quickly and with a smile. I can hardly wait til Nov. 7 for another great visit! Hope to meet some of you there.
Charlie