Canto del Sol question....

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God
Canto del Sol question....

Post by Plus4 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:29 pm

One thing that I enjoyed at the resorts we stayed in before is the open air Restaurants.
We are undecided on where we want to go for our winter vacation and at which Resort we would stay at..
I searched the web last night and saw that the Canto del Sol in PV has some excellent prices for Mid Nov..
Our niece stayed there last year and I know several board members are big fans of this Resort..
When searching on line I could not find out if the Canto del Sol has an open air buffet restaurant..
The weather is so wonderful in PV .... I can sit inside a Restaurant all winter in Canada..when In PV I want to be outside near the beach as much as possible and I also prefer a more relaxed informal dining area where we can keep adding folks to our table to join in the fun... :)
I know it sounds a bit silly but when choosing a place to stay in PV it is not so much what is inside the Resort but what is outside on the Resort grounds that makes our final decision..
Thanks :) and any other suggestions on other Resorts would be appreciated...

dgwick
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by dgwick » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:35 pm

The buffet restaurant is "open air" style at the Canto. It's kind of a palapa style building attached to the main hotel, kind of resembles the outside bar in appearance. They also have a snack bar out by the pool close to the ocean. Breakfasts are served in the buffet restaurant or on the patio by the snack bar. They set up each morning for the breakfast buffet. We had all of our breakfasts out there. We were looked after quite well by Ramiris (sp?) out there, he went out of his way to make sure he saved us a table closest to the water. It was a great start to every day.
The specialty al a carte restaurants were mainly "indoors". The mexican being in the lobby of the Canto, the Italian was over at the Villas and they offered a BBQ which was outside, just past the gym overlooking the tennis courts.
We were looking at the Villas or Canto for November but couldn't pass up the deal on the Hola. To us, it looked like it got similar feed back by guests and the hotel seemed to have the same amenities. We're hoping to stay at the Canto again or Villas in February.

mik_minky
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Canto Del Sol

Post by mik_minky » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:00 am

We have stayed at CDS the last few years. The service provided by the restaurant staff is second to none. We also enjoy adding on to our table and were well accomodated every time new friends arrived to the buffet.

The Grill by the tennis courts is fabulous. It sprinkled a bit the night we went there but the sky was absolutely gorgeous. We made sure we went to the first sitting so we got a sunset sky rather than a dark sky.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:08 am

Thank You dgwick and mik_minky the information you provided was exactly what I was looking for..
Will probably book later in Oct. for mid Nov. or Christmas .... have now narrowed the Resort search to 4.. Each Resort seems to suit our needs.. Shall see what happens in a month or so :)

Canto Del Sol
Hola
Holiday Inn and
Samba Vallarta by Pueblo Bonito

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 pm

Sylvia, you should talk to Sylvia (winterpeggal) about the Holiday Inn. That is where mark and her stayed last February when Lorrie and I met up with them, walking down the beach... as far as we know it is pretty nice even with all the new construction next door... great little outdoor resturant right there on the beach too... unless they have finally "moved" him out, but it was great for the workers and those of us walking the beaches for a place to have a cold beer, chips and salsa etc...

mik_minky
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Canto Del Sol

Post by mik_minky » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:23 pm

I would be interested to hear what you find out about the Holiday Inn. We've always stayed at CDS in PV. We are taking our kids to PV this year for their first big trip (pretty much the first time they've ever left Canada) and decided to stay at HI. Heard it was good for kids so here's hoping ;)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:34 pm

As far as i know and have seen walking the beaches around the Holiday Inn it has been pretty busy and kid friendly that is for sure. they have some great specials on massages on the beach too... you can get sunset ones as well as moon lit ones over looking the bay... sweet....

good luck... have a great time....

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

Holiday Inn

Post by helenf » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:37 pm

When I stayed at the Holiday Inn in November last year there weren't many kids there. This was probably because it was BEFORE the US Thanksgiving Break.

We liked the Holiday Inn and would stay there again. (However, we hope to stay at the Buenaventura at Christmas so that we're closer to downtown).

Plus the beach at the HI was in great shape compared to some others down the hotel zone.

Helen

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Re: Canto Del Sol

Post by tandr2 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm

mik_minky wrote:I would be interested to hear what you find out about the Holiday Inn. We've always stayed at CDS in PV. We are taking our kids to PV this year for their first big trip (pretty much the first time they've ever left Canada) and decided to stay at HI. Heard it was good for kids so here's hoping ;)
We too have always stayed at CDS and we too are taking our kids next year for their first trip there...my son has been to Florida and is going to Maui in January with his grandparents but none of them have been to PV... I'm planning on watching deals and we'll see what we find. We want to go back to CDS - I know when we went in March CDS was on sale for 922 plus taxes so I'm budgeting on something around that price... it gets expensive bringing the kids...

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:16 am

Sylvia I am going to go through my picture CD and when I find the ones relating to your question then I will email them to you. Please give me a day or two.

Joyce

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re-Holiday Inn

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:24 pm

The Holiday Inn has a kid's pool & Kid's Club.I hear it is very good.The kid's that were there seemed to all be happy & having a great time.The snack bar is located by the kid's pool.
There is an open air buffet restaurant where you can enjoy your meals & overlook the ocean.Great for watching the sunset.The 2 specialty restaurants are inside.Food is good with lots of variety.I think even the pickiest eater can find something.
Lobby Bar,Island Bar & swim-up bar.Staff is great.
I would reccommend asking for a room on the non construction side.There is not much of a view on that side & tends to be a bit noisy.
Do try out the little place on the beach.Great food,service & prices.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks Tom... :)
Tracy I hope that when you are ready to book there will be great deals out there...I can imagine it would be very expensive traveling with kids..
Helen I wish I could do all the things I want to...One of them would be booking PV at Christmas so we could be there same time as you as well as my other board buds..
We are going away at Christmas this year just not sure where to yet..
Joyce thanks ..take your time I know you have been very busy..
SylviaA when are you planning to go to PV..

Just when I thought I had things all sorted out for the PV trip a curve ball was tossed..
Our neighbors were over last night..Invited us to go with them Nov 16th for 2 weeks to Mayan Riveria.... Never been never really wanted to go...Bill wants to go and experience other places .... I am torn...I will do an honest search and learn more about the area .....I just feel the BIG resorts on the other side are too big and too poshy for me and not what I want in a vacation but I am not the only one involved when choosing..
I guess :?
One has to have been bitten by the PV bug to understand the PV draw...I have been bitten.. :)

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

CDS

Post by Tator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:32 pm

I love the Canto, and its open air buffet is great. The lobby bar is nice, and it is in a great location.