Playa Del Sol- Costa Sur

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Playa Del Sol- Costa Sur

Post by glacierroasters » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 pm

We bought a T/S in the Playa Del Sol group, and we are staying at this location.

We have never stayed on the south side, so I am curious about any helpful tips or suggestions about the area (South side of Conchas Chinas I believe) are there any ideas or suggestions those of you who have stayed in that area can offer?

We have a rental car, just an FYI if that helps.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Has anyone ever been to this place?

It looks to be pretty far south of Vallarta

thanks again

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:11 am

i don't think you're more than 3 miles south of town.
(closer to romantica zone than mismaloya)
hope you post a trip report, i'd be curious to what you find
for fun south of town. we are staying in south end of romantica
next month but without rental car - hope to taxi south one day
just to explore.
have a great vacation.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

PDS

Post by Jennybean » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:24 am

PDS Costa Sur is more of a timeshare condo property than a hotel. You might want to check out Trip Advisor to get actual reviews from guests...lots of info there.

All I know about it is that it's an older quieter property (but well kept) and those that do own there have owned for years. Very nice beach.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:15 am

Thank you all.

I will let you all know what we think.

We bought the Timeshare from ebay for literally nothing ( an estate thing we were told) we wanted to stay at our home resort in Nuevo vallarta (Flamingos beach at which is their PDS-Grande) but we are excite about this one- and will post what we fond ont he south side

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Playa del Sol- Costa Sur

Post by lanhawk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 pm

My wife and I have been owners there for several years. It is an older resort, probably one of the first time shares in PV. Most of the owners are fixed week owners. PDS bought Costa Sur (formally Costa Vida) about two years ago to serve as an overflow resort for their floating week owners when you couldn't book at Nuevo Vallarta. Costa Sur has a small private beach, two small pools, two small bars and a restaurant. The food is good but you are cheating yourself by not going into town to eat. The bus stops right in front of the resort and you are in romantic pv in about 10 minutes. Definitely not as fancy as the PDS out in Nuevo Vallarta but the owners really love the place and the service is friendly and prompt. Every condo has a balcony that faces the Bay. My wife and I love the place but everybody's definition of a resort is different. I got tons of pictures and could give you more info. if you like, just contact me. I think you will really like it, as it gives you a chance to really explore downtown PV without the long travel from Nuevo Vallarta. Enjoy and have fun!! We will be there the second week in April, right now we are home in Chicago freezing our butts off.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:15 pm

I own there currently as do my parents. We have two units in the tower which are efficiencies and my parents have the penthouse on the shorter side and I have a one bedroom there. We have been owners for 20 years. We love the place. We were very scared during the transition from Costa Vida to the new management/owner Playa del Sol and its new name Costa Sur. The first year was a little sad as our favorite person, Ernesto, was let go. Despite the changes we have found that Playa del Sol has been very good so far. They have spared no expense on upgrades and the upkeep has been very good. The vibe and feel has not changed. Its in a great location away from the hustle and noise of the hotel zone. You have made a good choice. We love it and continue to be very happy. For the most part you will see the same people every year if you go on your appointed week. We have made some great friends and look forward to seeing them every year. 8)

BTW you may recognize the photo in my avatar was taken at the restaraunt there. As someone said there is better eating around town but it is good for being there and convenient.

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Costa Sur

Post by lanhawk » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:00 am

I know it hard to get a bead on a place just from other people's reviews. I guess it really bears down to just what you want in a vacation. Some people just want to lie by the beach, soak up the sun and never leave the resort. In a case like that then Nuevo Vallarta is the place that you want to go. first class service, nice private beaches, lots of pampering. If you're the type who likes to get up and go explore then getting a place in Puerto Vallarta is more up your alley. I have seen some people not like Costa Sur and others who love it because it really depends what your definition of a vacation is. Comparing Costa Sur with any resort out in Nuevo Vallarta is like comparing apples with oranges. Me??? I live in Chicago, it's 8 degrees outside with a bitter northern wind blowing. I would sleep in a shack in PV at this point. :lol:

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:38 pm

I gotta tell you- you got that right about PDS-Costa Sur. You love it or you are not really meant for the place. We are buying a second week(or more) at the Playa Del Sol group...with full intent of ending up back their again and some day I wouild like to own enough weeks to spend a month or longer.

I lvoe the South side...I love old town, I love getting in and out of old town via taxi in 5 minutes +/-

Call me crazy...but Ya, I am going back.

The front desk is fine- the people who work the bar (especially Enrique) are the best I ahve seen in PV the restaurant folks were great, the food was fine...but we like to go into old town...lotta great deals for food to be found ont he southside/romantic zone:

Le Bistro for breakfast (unbeatable for price and quality and experience)
La Palapa for Breakfast...again tough to beat for a mid morning brunch experience and setting.

I love the PDS-Costa sur for happy hour and shrimp taco's and then a later dinner in town somewhere and a litte night life.

Thanks much for the comments on the place- anyone has questions feel free to PM me as well on this place.

edandkaren
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by edandkaren » Wed May 28, 2008 2:04 am

We own and we LOVE IT THERE! Just a few minute's bus ride and your in town. I love the fact that PDS CS is not a party place and that it's not in town.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 pm

The bus into town is 6p and runs every 15 minutes. You end up at Constitucion a block from Basilio Badillo.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:01 am

Back to PDS in a month...New Years Eve in Vallarta Town!

8)

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Costa Sur

Post by lanhawk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Got my count down going....once the holidays come and go...its vacation time. We are fixed week owners...2nd week in April so we got Easter this year. Gonna be crazy crowded.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Costa Sur

Post by glacierroasters » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:08 pm

lanhawk wrote:Got my count down going....once the holidays come and go...its vacation time. We are fixed week owners...2nd week in April so we got Easter this year. Gonna be crazy crowded.
I'm almost embarrassed to say (almost) that we now own 3 weeks of Float time in PDS.

It was too cheap not to buy them (ebay) we own 2 weeks of odd year usage and 1 week of even year usage. So far the only place we have found Winter usage has beend PDS-CS.

Oh well... :lol:

I'll let you know if Enrique is still pouring em strong!

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:00 am

hop on the bus and go south to boca tomatlan. great swimming, nice beach, nice people running the cantinas on the beach.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:49 pm

benito wrote:hop on the bus and go south to boca tomatlan. great swimming, nice beach, nice people running the cantinas on the beach.
I'll be there - because I need more of that Mexico Moonshine!

:roll: :wink: