choices, choices, choices.

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
choices, choices, choices.

Post by ajstanger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:26 pm

It has been 2 years since we went to PV. We did the Florida thing last spring (UGH!!) after going to PV four years in a row.

We stayed at Playa Del Sol, Las Palmas (AI), Villa Del Palmar, and lastly Canto Del Sol (AI).

We are planning a end of March trip and are taking our boys (10 & 17) for their 2nd trip (went with us to VDP). I want to do the AI because we don't want to do the cooking and dishes thing while on vacation. We do eat out some but the boys are a bit particular on what they will eat. 3 years ago when we took them we ate at Burger King, McD's, Pizza Hut and KFC. Real Mexican quisine huh? It was a pity because we love all the restaraunts there. We took them to Pipi's and they barely ate. More for me I guess. lol

So what deals are out there right now for AI? I have been searching and am all over the place for prices. I wouldn't mind staying at the places we stayed at before but am open to new suggestions.

Are there any BIG changes in PV in the last 2 years? New places to go to or places closed down?

adios

misstiffanyann
PV Fan
PV Fan

Michigander...

Post by misstiffanyann » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi, sorry I don't have any info as I am taking my first trip to pv this March, I just noticed you were from Shellby township, I'm from Houghton (MI)-- I guess everyone loves PV!! haha :)

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 pm

We have stayed at the Canto 4 times and love it. They were doing some upgrades when we were there in December...not noisy at night or anything...new doors and changing from key locks to cards. Good idea. Can't go wrong.

As for PV itself, I don't think it's changed all that much...maybe gotten a little busier. It's still the PV I remember from our first trip there in 2005.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:17 am

misstifany,

I am familiar with Houghton/Hancock area. I deer hunt in L'anse and I am sure you know where that is. I was there during Thanksgiving week. You will fall in love with PV. If you have read many of the posts you will see most everyone who goes there returns again and again.

I hope you have the time of your life.

Adios

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Hotels

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:01 pm

aj - the Buenaventura is on the tail end of a massive renovation and all reports have been glowingly positive on the improvements. IIRC, they're just finishing up details in some of the rooms right now but everything is open for business.

This was a really good midrange hotel before offering both AI and AI-optional stays, close to town (as in walking distance to the Malecon), and won't break the bank. I've been there pre-reno for a few cocktails around the pool bar (very nice) and certainly don't hesitate to recommend it. I've seen good sale prices recently.

Depending on how much your kids like the beach/watersports action, I would say this is a good compromise. If the kids want to be on jetskis, in parasails, etc. all week long you might consider a bigger resort in the marina (like maybe the Velas Vallarta), or a slightly smaller place with more Mexican "flare" like the Playa Los Arcos chain on Los Muertos beach (which would keep the kids more than entertained). By Mexican "flare" I mean it's a bit more authentic, not fancy in comparison with some of the bigger resorts but is very clean and very well maintained, and offers great location for beach activity and THE best dining in town within walking distance.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Jennybean,

I have been looking at the Buenaventura but did not know about the reno. Hmmm maybe I will have to look a bit harder at that one. Anyone been there recently for a bit more input? I really like the idea of being close to the Malecon. No matter where we have stayed we walked all the way to it each time. We love to walk.

Thanks for the info JB

Adios,
T.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Buenaventura

Post by Jennybean » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 pm

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:25 pm

So we ended up booking at Villa Del Palmar (2nd time). Mostly because that is the place we stayed with the kids last time they came. They know the place and are excited to go back. We decided against the AI this time around. We will save that for the "adults only" trips to PV because we will drink our moneys worth.

We almost did book at the Buenaventura but after reading quite a few of the reviews we noticed quite a few people not liking the food. I know it is just a matter of opinion and you can't please E1 all the time but we were worried the boys would complain. Thanks anyway for the idea Jennybean.

So we are counting the days to return. Tonight I will book the hotel for the night before we leave since we have an early flight and we can park for the week at the hotel.

As for where we eat, I am sure we will hit the "fast" foods again (some). I can tell you that I have never had a Whopper from BK taste as good as the one in PV. The bottom bun was not soggy and it had great taste. Karen and I ended up buying another to split lol. The bad part is that the soda pop at the fast food joins taste terrible.

Thanks for the halp as usual E1.

Adios
T.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:34 pm

So, when will you be at the VDP? How old are the kids?
I'll be there with my 7yo daughter April22-29.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Soda

Post by Jennybean » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:35 pm

The bad part is that the soda pop at the fast food joins taste terrible.
That's probably because you're so used to sodas made with high fructose corn syrup, whereas in Mexico they still use real cane sugar in their soda.

:wink:

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Interestingly enough, the Mexican Coca Cola is a big export to the US. The Mexicans living in the US like it a whole lot better. Matter of fact so do I. It tastes like the Coke I use to have as a kid.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 pm

it tastes like the Coke I use to have as a kid.

Thanks for the info: I thought the same thing about the Coke in PV, but couldn't figure out why. We must both be at the same vintage level.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:16 pm

I love the mexican coke too! The first time I was in Mexico it was close to Aculpulco in about 1979 and I still remember the taste. Kind of like the first grilled red snapper taste which I finally found again at the Palapa restaurant by the Holiday Inn.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Tony, never mind I found your dates. :D