Saving loungers with towels

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 am

Jeff, don't know what you saw but go have another drink anyways and while you're at it have one for me too. :D

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:14 am

you got it lori ,I know I read another post by our friend matt and then it was gone ,maybe i had to much to drink so i will have one for you sweetheart-jro

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Just for the record....I'm kind of sorry I opened up this can of worms as I guess this one really ticks people off. How about we let this topic go and go back to the nice warm and fuzzy feeling we had in PV!!!

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Cruise Clash Over Loungers

Post by smitty » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 pm

'Germanic' sunbed row hits P&O cruise ship
By Andy Bloxham
Last Updated: 2:38am GMT 10/03/2008

A British cruise ship captain was facing an inquiry after criticising passengers who reserved sun loungers with towels for "Germanic behaviour".

Christopher Wells, 52, the captain of the 77,000-ton Oceana, caused controversy when he used the ship's loudspeakers to ask passengers not to reserve loungers they were not using.

The captain, whose wife, Hedda, is German, announced: "We don't want that kind of Germanic behaviour here!"

Captain Wells apologised to Germans on board during the 15-day P&O Caribbean cruise last month, but now faces an inquiry by the Equality and Human Rights Commission over whether his remarks were racist.

The row began a few days into the cruise, when some of the 2,000-plus passengers on the ship began to complain about sun loungers in prime spots being "reserved" with towels, books and bags.

One female passenger said the crew had tried unsuccessfully to put a stop to the "bed bagging". She said: "There were enough loungers for everyone, provided they were not reserved when not in use.

"Crew members did their best, sometimes removing the towels, which were P&O property, but then passengers reserved the sunbeds with their own items."

The grumbles came to the captain's attention and he tried to defuse the situation by allowing passengers to reclaim sunbeds which had remained unused for 20 minutes.

However, that only led to more confrontation when some holidaymakers used stopwatches to monitor how long beds were unoccupied.

The female passenger, who asked not to be named, said: "This led to heated arguments and complaints - some people nearly came to blows."

Finally, in exasperation, Capt Wells grabbed the ship's microphone and made his controversial announcement over the Tannoy.

A spokesman for P&O said: "Captain Wells apologises unreservedly for any offence caused."

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:17 am

Boy, those Germans sure can be trouble makers :lol: , huh? Chuck... 8)

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:30 am

sorry to jump in late and sorry I missed the height of the debate...was in Mexico for a while and avoid all electronic media while doing so but agree whole heartedly that the chair saving thing is rude and inconsiderate but honestly does the fault not lie with the hotel ? If you sell, let's say 300 people a vacation...should you not provide those 300 hundred people with the amenities of said vacation ? What if they treated rooms like lounge chairs...first come, first served...do you then go into an unoccupied room after say one hour of absence and empty the closets ? What about towels ? Only one towel for every four guests...first come first served ?
Really, for the cost of a $50 chair I think that they should consider maximum capacity and accomodate as such. Before anyone says...too many chairs around the pool...build another pool, same arguement. They sold 300 people a vacation and 300 people should be able to lay on a lounger by the pool even if they all decide to so at the same time...sonofdob.