Sheraton

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

fr94114
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Sheraton

Post by fr94114 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:38 pm

Hola! I need advice on nearby restaurants for dinner that are walking distance from the Sheraton. I have been to PV many times and usually stay at a condo in the Zona Romantica so this area is unknown to me. This trip (June - I can't wait! :D ) we're staying at the Sheraton and would like to hear about options close to the hotel just in case we decide to stick close to the resort. Besides, I am not a big fan of hotel food and love the local cuisine. Mexican, Italian, etc it's all good. Oh yeah must be reasonably priced and kid friendly too. 3 kids ages 4-9. Gracias!

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 am

The Sheraton is not that far from downtown a short bus or taxi ride and if you want to walk you could easily do it in about 15 minutes, however with 3 young children it might take a few minutes more.

Joyce

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Thu May 01, 2008 4:18 pm

You just have to walk south past Hectors Sunset and across the bridge by the Buenaventura and there are dozens of restaurants to choose from.

For an expensive treat, try Spiaggia on the beach at Uruguay (by Leys).

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Thu May 01, 2008 5:49 pm

El Andariego is rite across street from Buenaventura.
nice restaurant - breakfast, lunch, dinner.
we've grown to like it, eat there once every year.

fr94114
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by fr94114 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:36 pm

El Andariego sounds great! I think I know where it is. Is it that restaurant across from Ley's? Is Pipi's still worth a visit? I haven't been there in five years or so.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri May 02, 2008 7:50 pm

I think you are thinking of Rico Mac Taco across from Ley. Salsa Mexicana is one block closer to Sheraton on the same side of the street as RMT.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri May 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Pipis is still a popular tourist destination

fr94114
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by fr94114 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Pipi's is touristy but I was thinking of the kids. As I recall, Pipi's is VERY kid friendly. Grown-up friendly too on the pocketbook and those mega MARGOS! :P

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Artesanias de Tomatles & Tomale Cafe (across from Sherat

Post by poppy » Sun May 04, 2008 12:44 pm

If you have been to the artwalk on Thursdays and if you have sampled those fabulous tomales served at Galleria A/L (the one where they are lined up on the curb EVERY year eating these wonderful treats, go to Artesanias de Tomatles. This restaurant is a block East of Pipis, on the corner (sorry, I don't have their card with me for the street name). It is a tiny restaurant where they have every kind of tomale you can imagine. Even desert tomales, like pineapple! You can get a whole sampling with a beverage for under $5.00 USD. No air conditioning. They also supply the tomales for Tomale Cafe. Enjoy!

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:36 am

Looking for suggestions on additional places to eat. El Andariego is a must for us every time down. We have been to Pipi's and it was great. The concierge at the Sheraton Resort always gives us cards, but many are in places we just are not sure we wish to walk back from after dark. I suppose we could take a taxi providing we could manage to hold our stomachs between the braking and acceleration. (better than a roller coaster ride) :wink:

Actually, we would like to find some places with entertainment. Four years ago we discovered an artist by the name of Nestor Villasenor. We bought a couple of CD's which we still have. Neither the restaurant nor performer were ever to be found again. I loved the coconut shrimp.

I do not drink at all during the year, but my two weeks in PV find me indulging in Margaritas every evening.

We did attend a fiesta four years ago somewhere up near the Cathedral and flea market, but I can't remember the name. Everything was all inclusive for the evening. They did keep the tequila coming all evening.

We do enjoy walking the Malecon. We just do not know how far up to the east from the Malecon is safe after dark.

We are both in our 60's so we are not looking to mix with the college crowd. Been there and done that.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:08 am

Cueto's is great on Calle Brasilia 469-- very yummy and fun!

Cash only.

Sally

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:47 pm

I live east of the Malecon and I can tell you that the neighbourhoods in the downtown area are very safe.
The fiesta you attended was more than like at the Crazy Iguana or some such name. I think it's on Aquiles Serdan.
For other restaurants in the downtown area I would recommend Doña Raquel's, El Panorama, La Esquina de los Caprichos and Barcelona Tapas. There are literally so many places to go to that it makes me dizzy trying to think of them. A must-do is the Mongolian barbecue on Sunday's at La Huerta. Take the southbound #4 bus on Morelos and just watch for the sign painted on the side of the building. It's at least 15 minutes and sometimes the drivers know where it is and sometimes they don't but if you watch for it you will see it.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Thank you both for the tips. I will need begin making a list and checking it twice. We do need to find some things to do during the first two weeks in March. The pirate ship, whale watching, some fiestas, and parties at the Sheraton have already been experienced. We have not chanced some of the other activities because of my arthritic knees. I do not mind walking and was very surprised to see the number of curb cuts this past year that were not there before.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 am

3 days to 16 days in PVR.... Last year we discovered Oscar's.... probably will return, but we still look for reasonably priced places. My first time down (2004) we found a place with fantastic coconut shrimp. It was upstairs and had live music where we purchased the CD by Nestor (can't remember the last name). Have not been able to duplicate that experience since. The place was right in the center of the Male'con and the pirate ship displayed fireworks right in front. We spent several hours there and returned two nights later. The place had changed ownership and cuisine when we returned in 05. I enjoy hearing the local music. I just do not enjoy being with those 40 years younger. no offense, but obnoxious doesn't go well with me. I enjoy a couple or more drinks. Just don't like to be in a place where every one gets smashed. I did that in college back around the US Civil War so now I prefer something a bit more calmer.

camelmania
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

pepe's taco's!!

Post by camelmania » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 pm

We have three boys about the same ages as yours. Mine are very picky eaters but I have successfully gotten them to eat Pepe's Taco's. They love the little tacos.

If we find somewhere that we like but they will not be happy, we have the cab driver swing by McDonalds and get them what they want and take it to where we want. Usually they will give them a plate for their "food" and we order what we want. Eveyone is happy, us, the kids, the people eating next to us as our kids aren't fussy and we leave an extra large tip so the restaurant is happy too.

Works for us.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Mexican cuisine? Across the street and about a block and a half north, away from El Centro, is Las (or is it Los) Alcatraces, which is our favorite breakfast stop. We're usually the only non-Mexicans there, but the menu is bilingual. Dinner? It's close enough you can walk over and check out the dinner menu.

The kids might like the chocolate etc. pancakes at Memo's on Basilio Badillo.

Pipi's of course, but Cafe Olla was pretty raucous (which is what I think of as kid-friendly) when we were there.

Anybody know whether Hector's Sunset is still open?

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Hector's Sunset is still open as of the 2nd week of Feb. We visited a year ago and did not care for it much. There were essentially using Card tables and chairs. Decor was not impressive and food was just average. The sunset was excellent. They currently have someone out front by the gate near the street with a menu. They also have a security guard on duty at the gate.

GreatOwl
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by GreatOwl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm

We walked down to "Tino's" this year to try the seafood. Portions were very large. Food was good. Service was extremely poor, but they seemed to have a couple of local parties going on which required all of the staff to wait on those two or three tables.

We do not recommend sitting on the balcony, especially at rush hour. The exhaust fumes from the buses and traffic can be a bit much. I doubt we will go there again.

We went to La Distilleria for the first time at sunset and it was great. Everything was excellent.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Yikes

Post by oneistwo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Just realized we were answering a post that's almost two years old.

No harm done. In fact I got to daydream, which is what I'll be doing for the next three weeks. :-)

fanlynne
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by fanlynne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 am

Hello,i am lynne from USA,is there anybody from Anchorage?