PV and Villa Del Palmar questions...

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mkuz45
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
PV and Villa Del Palmar questions...

Post by mkuz45 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:16 pm

My wife and I will be using her fathers Timeshare this winter and just exchanged a week in Cancun for a week in PV at the Villa Del Palmar. I am very excited about our trip and I feel like I have learned a lot from reading posts in this forum.

So here are a few questions for some PV vets and or VDP owners/guests.

1) Will I be able to avoid or defer the timeshare people at all if I let it be known that I am staying in Mexico via an existing timeshare? Should I carry my Packet from the timeshare place to help do this? How do you say in spanish: "I already own a timeshare.", if it will help.

2) For VDP people, as a visitor using a timeshare will this help me request a room with a view? I have seen the "ocean view at VDP" question asked before and they always say that the best rooms are usually for owners (this will be me, right?)... how should I go about getting a room with a good view?

3) Would it be a good idea to exchange for pesos now in the states so I arrive in Mexico with pesos on hand? Plus the EXrate it great right now...

4) VDP suites have kitchens and I will be doing some grocery shopping for breakfast and lunch food and we will eat out for dinners. I saw that a Walmart is close by, will my Walmart card (only good at Walmart and not a visa or anything else) work at the one in PV? I am also a member at Sams here in the states, will I be able to go there if I want?

5) Here are some places I think I want to eat at... hows my list?

Downtown - Robertos, Barcelona Tapas, PiPis and Tengaroa
Hotel Zone - El Tacon de Marlin
Malecon - Cheeky Monkey

Probably won't make it to all of these as we will most likely eat at the VDP resuarants a couple times but these are places that sound good. Which are the best of the downtown resuarants I listed IYO?

I have more questions but since I still have 3 months before my trip I think this is enough for a first post. Its a lot I know, but I have seen that there are a lot of very helpful people on this forum and I know will help me out. Also I know that not all of my questions belong on the LODGING board, sorry. Mods can move it if they need to.

THANKS A LOT!

~mkuz

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

PV Questions

Post by smitty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 pm

#1 No - repeat no - just smile and walk by them . Ignore there taunts - they are probably false .

#2 Pull out your wallet and start bribing with a US 20 - your negotiation skills will determine your quality of view .

#3 I've always found best rates once I arrive .

#4 Soriana grocery store is much closer - almost across the street . Shop there and save valuable holiday time .

#5 Others will chime in .

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm sure your Sam's card will work, not sure about your Wal-Mart card.
Your restaurant list sounds good to me. We never miss going to Tacon de Marlin. For your first time in Vallarta it's good to have a list as the quantity of good restaurants to go to is overwhelming.
I can't help you with what to do to get a good view as I've never stayed there. However, I've visited there and quite like the courtyard views as well. I would really complain if I got a view over the street or tennis courts, however.
And as a last note, apparently the Timeshare people looooove those who already own a Timeshare because they figure you were susceptible once so you may be again. Therefore, the ploy you mention won't be much help. I agree with Smitty, just basically ignore them. If the ones in your hotel are in your face, just politely say no. Enjoy........

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:32 pm

1. On the streets just say "No thank's, smile and keep on walking." If they ask you where you are going for dinner just tell them you have already eaten. I just smile and say I don't do "timeshare persentations".

When you check in at VDP they will offer you a gold card....tell them you are tired, not feeling well, etc. and that you just want to go to your room. The gold card is the "hook" to get you to the VDP TS presentation. They will call you and ask if your room is O.K.,etc and tell you they have your "welcome cocktail" tickets and gold card waiting for you downstairs. The only way you get the gold card is to go the presentation at VDP Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta....so unless you want to waste 3/4 of a day just don't go pick up you "discount" gold card. They will not stay in your face during your stay.

2. Attempting to bribe them at the front dest will get you nowhere. The rooms are assigned in the computer and unless there is a definite problem with your room you will be hard pressed to get them to give you another room. Since you are using an exchange into the resort your chances of changing rooms are pretty slim as those of us who "own" at VDP get the first choice on rooms. If you reservation is at VDP and not VDM you should not be out by the street, if you are ask them immediately for another room and see what they say.

3. There is a large mall right across the street and down about a block with Soriana grocery store...you can get all your groceries there, no need to go all the way to Walmart. If you purchase more than you want to carry is is $2.00 to get a taxi to take you back across the street and the bell boys will bring your groceries to your room for you. There is a grocery store on the premises but it is much more expensive than Soriana, so I stock up at Soriana and pick up little odds and ends at the market on the premises.

4. The food at the restaurants is mediocre at best and pricey for what you get so I don't eat on the premises. They have great roasted chicken at a stand outside the entrance to the mall.

5. Money exchange you will get the best rates at the cambio in Plaza Genovesa which is about 5 blocks down south (toward town) on the right side of the street. Look for Blockbuster video and Goodyear tire on the left side of the street and it is across the street by the Dolphy ice cream store. I just hop the bus and ride down there...then if you go at lunch time go across the street behind the Goodyear Tire shop to Ochos Tostados, great little local seafood place but they close early. Hop the bus back and get off the next stop past the Lans store and Soriana.

mkuz45
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by mkuz45 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks for all of the info everyone...

Kat thanks for the heads up on the "Gold Card" thing. Do you have any other nice little VDP veteran tricks/tips for a first time visitor looking to have a smooth vacation?

~mkuz

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:32 am

mkuz45

Be aware that VDP is a credit only resort so anything you order on the beach or in the restaurants goes on your room tab. They also put $4.50 (approx) per day on you tab as gratuity split between the maids and all the behind the scene personnel (ie: laundry, gardners, security, kitchen help) everyone that makes your stay nice but is not on the front line of the tips. They are given the money in a bonus check once a month. Bellman and waiters are exempt from this money. It is purely voluntary, when you check out you can request it be taken off your bill if you do not want to pay it. I still tip my maids daily ontop of the daily addition to my bill. Again it is purely voluntary...but it does reward the employees who keep the resort looking nice and safe never get a tip for doing it. The sandwich shop at the La Palmita market allows you to pay cash so if you do not like running a tab for food and drinks on your hotel bill you can pick up a sandwich, salad or desert there and pay cash for it.

That's about all I have in my bag of tricks.

If you want to do a boat tour send me a PM!!! :wink:

mkuz45
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by mkuz45 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Kat, got some more questions for ya...

1. Can you take beer down to the pool from your room or do you have to order from the staff if you are at the pool and you want a cold one?

2. Thanks for the tip on Ochos Tostadas and the chicken stand by the mall, any more restuarnts or stands close by that may be worth going to? We probably won't dine at the hotel often, especially since the reviews on the food is only so..so..

3. Do you still get your "welcome coctails" even if you decline the gold card or is that part of the hook? No big deal either way, but as a bartender a free drink is always nice.

4. What kind of boat tours do you offer, we're not to big on fishing. As far as tours go, the only one we will be doing for sure is a zipline tour but we might do more.

Thanks for your time!

~mkuz

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:39 pm

mkuz45

Yes you can take your own drinks down to the beach with no problem at all. Alot of people buy a styrofoam cooler and take it down, I have a soft-sided cooler I ofen take down if I am planning on spending the entire day on the beach, saves running back and forth to the room.

The gold card is the hook for the welcome cocktail, its easier to pay for your own, LOL.

As for dinner, I usually head downtown or to the marina for dinner. I have alot of "secret places" but you have to have a car and know where you are going.

We offer tours for sightseeing, fishing, snorkeling, lunch on a beach or any combination you want to put together. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Mandater40
PV Fan
PV Fan

VDP

Post by Mandater40 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:13 pm

We stayed one week at the VDP in a similar situation, I was using a friends timeshare.

We did not find the timeshare hounds too bad after the 1st day.. I just pretended I was an owner.

As for the room with a view, keep hounding them, we were placeced in a room with three huge airconditioner units right out our patio door. Very Loud.

Other than that the room was great. We shopped for groceries at the super market right across the street, there is also a bank there too so the location of the resort is awesome.

The one thing we did not like was there wonderful tipping program... We were at no time told about this when we checked in. But there is information in the room about it. They automatically signing you up for it.
Upon checkout we noticed an additional charge, they tried to tell me that it was Mandatory to participate. When I refused I had to fill out a form and questionairre explaining why I wasnt participating... We had tipped though our entire stay... I wasnt going to let them ding me again!

pv bound11
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by pv bound11 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 am

I just got back from the VDP from a 2 week vacation. We were originally placed in the 300 side facing the parking lot. With a 200 peso tip to the bell boy Jose (who was great I might add) he got us a pool side view.

As for the hounding to upgrade, I think every one has summed it up - IGNORE them.

If you are planning on going to the beach, buy a foam cooler from Soriana's ( I think it cost 59 pesos. Also, another tip - avoid using the deli store that is owned by VDP (it is right beside Villa Del Mar entrance door.

One other thing. You have access to a BBQ. You have to book it at 11:00 AM the day that you want to use it. You get it for 30 minutes. If you are wanting to book it, go to the "activity" person near the pool to book. Use the side of the BBQ on the left hand side. It has better heating.

Also, there was comments regarding a $4.50 USD mandatory tip - When you check out, just say that you are not going to pay this. It is actually only $3.50 USD but what ever.

The maid service is excellent. If you ask for the maid to make you "animals" out of towels, they will. Tip them as you see fit - As a bench mark, start at 20 peso's and work your way upto 50. You will see the difference.

Buenos Mochos and have a great vacation.

Adios Amigos

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:11 am

It is purely voluntary, when you check out you can request it be taken off your bill if you do not want to pay it.
No one said it was mandatory... The information about it is given to you with the paper work you get when you check-in. Most people do not read it, they get to their room and set it on the table while they unpack and don't bother to read it. It is a program this resort implemented several years ago to award the employees working behind the scenes that normally do not receive tips for the hard work they do to keep the resort looking as great as it does. They have also found it helps them to retain the same employees year after year. They do not automatically sign you up for it...no one is signed up for it since it is voluntary....they just put it on your bill. When you say you do not want to pay it...they ask that you fill out a form stating why. That gives them feedback on why the program is or is not working. They are not trying to ding your or pull a slick one over on you. If they were doing that they would not explain the program to you on the paper they give you when you check-in, nor would they allow you to opt out and not pay it. I guess since I am an owner there I look at the program through different eyes than someone who comes in for 2 weeks and will most likely never stay there again. I see the same employees trip after trip down there, working on the landscaping (one guy always cuts me a rose every year when he sees me). The people who do the laundry, wash the dishes for the restaurants clean the pool, wash down the decks, steam clean the sidewalks and the pool lounges, ,maintenence who comes and fixes something that is broken or not functioning in your room. All of these people work very hard to keep the resort in great condition and no one ever tips them when they walk by them or when they leave their room after fixing something. It just helps to retain their employees who might otherwise leave for employment at another resort .

I find the deli in the front of Villa del Mar very resonable for lunch and you don't have to put it on your room tab if you don't want to. I don't know why someone would say to "avoid it". You can hoof it across the street to Pizza Hut or McDonalds but I find it much more convenient and better than fast food. I walk out to the deli and walk right back out on the beach or back to my room.

As far as signing up for time on the Bar-B-Q's that keeps everyone from showing up at the same time to use them. I have often shared and had others share the grill with me if times run behind or run over. Signing up for a given time also allows you make plans easier for the evening. That way you don't go down to the grill and find 5 other people waiting to use it before you.

mkuz45
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by mkuz45 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:02 pm

thanks kat, very helpful as always.

As a bartender, I am a "tipper" by nature and I really dont like screwing with karma so the tip charge at the end of the bill doesnt bother me and I will pay it either way. That said, I do like a good bargan and am a frugal guy so the deli doesnt sound like a bad idea.

I still may PM you about a boat tour sometime, just need to talk more with the wifey about what she wants to do.

If I think of anything else I will ask away...

~mkuz

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Don't get me wrong I do order off the beach sometimes (when I am really being lazy) but what I get off the beach is about 1-1/2 times what I pay at the deli without a tip, and the exercise walking through the resort is good for me, LOL.