San Marino vs Tropicana

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master
San Marino vs Tropicana

Post by chrisnick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Can get both of these in February for a good deal. Can't decide which one to go to. We eat out every dinner even if we stay at an AI. Just wondering which hotel would have the better location, facilities etc. Really wanted to go in a condo again but the price for these is pretty good. Around 1000 bucks.

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Both have great locations. We stayed at the Tropicana last year in a junior suite. The kitchentte is well appointed and we were able to enjoy many meals on our balcony. We had a room over looking the ocean and it was spectacular. The pool area is very nice as well and the beach area is great too. We've looked at the rooms at the San Marino and the ocean view rooms were very nice. We ate one meal at the Trop and it was as I've read - mediocre at best. I've read the same about the San Marino. Both are located around lots of great restaurants and within walking distance of everything. The only negative thing I can say is about the Tropicana. We had a small item go missing from our room and the matter was never resolved. But other than that one incident (which happened on our last day) we enjoyed our stay there. PM me if you'd like more info!

Sherry

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:19 pm

I don't have any input on the hotels, but when I researched condos in that area for my upcoming trip in January, I stumbled upon one that you might use. Check out vrbo.com property number 206573. $110 US nightly sleeps 2-4. Looks great. We are actually staying in a different unit in the same beautiful building, at the end of Jan.

The condos at Selva Romantica also look great (can search on vrbo.com).

I will also be in PV Feb 28 - March 4 with 3 girlfriends (all in our 40's). Maybe we'll see you at Andale's or Roxy!

Sally

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by big guy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Both are in the same area, I've been in a couple of Tropicana's rooms. The junior suite was good, ocean view is good. beach is good and so is the pool. San Marino has more activities and tighter security and the pool seams a lot busier. I think there is more all inclusive there. Both are walking distince to most of the best resaurants in the area.I would pick the Tropicana.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:22 pm

yea...just can't decide. san marino is all inclusive but other then maybe breakfast we usually go out to eat. just trying to decide which is the better way to go. if the tropicana pool etc is nicer then we may go there. looks a little more appealing and authentic to me.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:09 am

too many good enticing restaurants in that area to do ai, imho....

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:04 pm

DELETED

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

I am really leaning towards the Tropicana. I do love tortilla soup!

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 pm

pvgemini wrote:I will also be in PV Feb 28 - March 4 with 3 girlfriends (all in our 40's). Maybe we'll see you at Andale's or Roxy! Sally
yikes, we mite see you.....if we knew you. - two spots we frequent.
same dates - same ages - we're 3 couples from MN that usually have
waaaaay too much fun every nite.

trop or SM - i'd pick the trop, but barely......both in ideal locations.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm

Too bad we will miss you guys since we will be there around the 20-28th of FEbruary. Looking for fun people to share a private boat tour with! Not sure where we want to go but I have done the "big boat" tour and don't really need to do that again! Want to hang out, stop wherever, have some drinks, listen to some music...

And we frequent Roxy's alot! LOL...we found out they are open till about 6 A.M. actually...

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

renting a boat

Post by pvgemini » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:49 pm

That is too bad. Would be a fun thing to do---- small boat. We befriended a Mexican family years ago and they took us on their boat to a private beach and served us a homemade meal-- it was unbelievable!! Maybe just go down to the marina and approach a nice looking man with a smaller boat and ask if he is for hire!! He might even do it for nothing!

Sally

p.s. have a great time on your trip. The girls trips are always the best!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Well none of us are shy so I'm sure we'll find someone to share a boat with us! LOL....

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:39 pm

walked up to l. muertos pier last year, were approached by father/son
with private boat - one downpayment and 24 hrs. later, 6 of us were in
boat with son as host/driver asking us what/where/why.
paid for 3 hrs., so took us to las animas and we sat on beach and drank
pina' coladas like good tourists should..........
young man had dilemma, he wanted his own house and also wanted to
buy his own boat (i think he & his father ran this boat for absent owner);
kept asking us which one first.....the boat we kept telling him.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Looking forward to it! Just booked the first week in February to Jamaica. Last week in February to PV...Man...this is a good life!

Figure we'll start asking on the first day and I do know a few locals so we will check with them too.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Looks like we can get a flight from Winnipeg February 20th for 595.00 taxes in! Need to book!!!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 pm

We booked the San Marino. 1155 taxes in with an upgrade on our plane seats! More leg room for the ride! There was very little difference in price between the Tropicana and the San so we figure we might as well get the AI even if we just use it for breakfast. Will still go to the Trop to try the tortilla soup and we eat out and go out every night so I could care less what the food at the San Marino is like! As long as its clean and we really just wanted to be in Old Vallarta.

Thanks for all the info!

Let me know if any of you are there from the 20th - 28th of February.

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Hey Chris! What airline did you book with? This year we are flying out of Minneapolis but are thinking of trying to fly out of Winnipeg next year. We just try to avoid charters - prefer regular flights for the luggage and the leg room. I'm sure that you will enjoy the San Marino - the location sure is fabulous!

We will be ariving on the 23rd of Feb. We (Des, me and his sister) will be staying in a condo across from the Tropicana. Maybe we can hook up!

Sherry

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:52 am

Sounds like a great idea to me! We went with Sunwing and have the extra leg room since we paid the extra for the Elite Plus seats... We'll see how that goes...We will have to set up a meet time.