Where to stay???

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

scox
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Where to stay???

Post by scox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Hello to all!

I found this forum to be a huge help. I am traveling with a friend to PV in June or July for a girls getaway. We are having a very hard time deciding where to stay. We are both in our 30's and would like to stay at a fun, but not too wild AI. We are looking for nice beach relaxation in the day and a little fun entertainment at nite. We were looking at the Dreams, which seems to have not so much going on at nite and the Grand Marival.

any suggesstions??? This is becoming so stressful trying to find the right place.

BTW, we are planning on pretty much staying on the resort, unless some daytime stuff is really close, since we are goin w/out hubbies, we thought this would be safest. So we really need a fun type AI.

Thanks so much!!

shelly

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Shelly,
There is no need to limit yourselves to an AI (staying at the resort all the time) because your husbands are not going. Vallarta is a great place, I go there all the time alone. There is so much to see in the town you are really going to be cutting yourselves short if you go and just sit at the resort the entire time. There are the most fabulous restaurants in PV you could literally eat your way through your entire trip. :D The people are so friendly and helpful you will really be missing the ambiance of PV if you sit in your resort the entire time. There are a ton of neat shops, art, statues, sand sculptures to look at.

Dreams is a nice resort and has a great beach, if you decide to stay there you can either take a bus or taxi to get into town so if you decide on Dreams make sure you go see the sights it is perfectly safe and comfortable for women traveling alone.

The Grand Marival is in Nuevo Vallarta, not Puerto Vallarta so you are about a 20 to 30 minute taxi ride away from PV if you decide you want to do any sightseeing. IMHO Nuevo does not have the Mexican ambiance that PV has, it is all huge hotels and more like a very quiet version of Miami Beach.

So if you open yourself up to seeing PV and not staying in a resort your entire trip, it will make it even harder for you to decide where to stay! :lol:

Alot of people stay at the Crown Paradise/Golden Crown Paradise, which is another AI option and I am sure someone will post about it. It is AI but it is in a location that makes it a little easier for you to enjoy the real PV.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 pm

If you are looking for a nice adults only (18+) AI resort not far from town (50 pesos each way), the Golden Crown Paradise (GCP) is a great resort. They have all menu dining, 24 hour room service, top shelf liquor as well as the ability to go next door to the family all inclusive and use their facilities and restaurants if you want. We are going back for our 16th time this Sat. for a week. They have a disco (Club Nitro) across the street that you can sit and enjoy drinks and show at no extra charge. The resort staff also takes guests to various night clubs every night from the resort around 11:00. We found this "diamond in the ruff" a few years ago and have been going back ever since. We still go off property as well and enjoy the dining in PVR! We feel it is the best of both worlds!! Enjoy!!

scox
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thanks for the information

Post by scox » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 am

Thank you both for the information. I think we have it narrowed to Buenavallarta or GCP. Any thoughts on Buenavallarta?

Thanks so much
shelly

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 am

GCP is very nice. Buenaventura is closer (walking distance) to the malecon area. Buenaventura has recently been remodeled, although I have not gone in to see what it looks like. I have heard good reviews since the remodel. Lori pretty much gave you a good description of GCP. So I guess it just depends if you want to be able to walk to the malecon and the southside or if you want to take a taxi or bus.

scox
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

malecon?

Post by scox » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:38 pm

BuenaVENTURA DUH!! sorry i said it wrong! HA!

So is the malecon area the area with the shops and restraunts etc?? When you say walking distance, about how far? We are 2 women traveling alone, is walking ok?

Thanks again for the help.

BTW how are the beaches at the two of them?

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 pm

I can only comment on the beach by the GCP but it is very nice and they do have an area roped off for swimming. They have a person that rakes the sand in front of the resort every day. We spent a lot of family time on the beach in Nov. when we went with the entire family. We go for at least 2 walks a day along the beach and walk towards town. Depending on the tide, we usually make it to Los Tules before we turn around which is a pretty good walk. Either way you can't go wrong because you will be in paradise!! 3 1/2 days and counting!!! Enjoy!! :D

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 am

Hi,
Buenaventura is a very easy walk to the malecon where you will find, shops, restaurants, art, sand sculptures, street performers. It is a must see to be able to say you have seen PV. If you click on the webcam on this site it is often pointing right along the malecon and at times you can see the sand sculptures and statues. The guys who do the sand sculptures are really great artists and they do them just for tips. You will see their tip boxes infront of their sculptures. From the main part of the malecon you will also see the church and the main square. If you continue down the malecon it will take you all the way to the south side where there are tons of shops and great restaurants. If you take the street instead of the malecon you will walk up a bridge where the road goes over the river (Rio Cuale). If you take the stairs down to the river you will also find shops and restaurants. Keep going on the street and when you get across the street you will see small streets that look like authentic mexico (not like mini US).

Walking around PV day or night I have never had any problems. I always joke and tell everyone I have 100's of eyes watching me so I never feel in danger (those eyes are all the taxi driver's who are waiting for you to signal them that you want a ride). LOL. My only cautions to you walking at night are the same cautions I am sure you would take at home. Stay off of dark, deserted streets and don't walk along the dark beach at night. Otherwise walk all you want, you will not have any problems.

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

My husband and I have stayed at the DREAMS 4 times over the past 2 years and absolutely love it. The food is great (1 buffet and 4 sit down restaurants), the staff is OUTSTANDING, all beach front rooms, private gated resort, $5 cab ride to town, nightly entertainment is ok, but staff takes a bus to clubs downtown each evening. They do a baby sea turtle release each night which you can participate in (very cool). They have free kayaking, snorkling, yoga, etc. I can't say enough about this resort. The club tower was recently renovated and is absolutely beautiful. I saw that the DREAMS was no longer on your list of potentials, but I think if you go there, you won't be sorry.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 am

Hi scox. The BuenaVentura has a great beach in front of it. We have never stayed there, but a great little beach front restaurant (El Baracuda) is right next door. We have eaten there several times, so it is easy to see the beach in front of the BuenaVentura. I have gone in the summer time numerous times solo and with girl friends. You and your friends will love walking to town from there, enjoying all the shops and the entertainment as well. In July, the Mexican nationals are spending their vacation time at the beach as well. There will be lots of people and it will be wonderful. You may get to watch a good thunderstorm some evening, which is wonderful to watch. The rain won't bother you though, it is usually at night, sometimes in the evening. You will love it. June doesn't have much rain. Where ever you stay, you must try to get into town a couple of times to eat out as Kat said. There is so much to see and do. Once you do, you can't get enough.

RobR1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by RobR1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:15 pm

We stayed at the Buenaventura over Xmas. The hotel is very nice.
The walk to town might be a little much for 2 girls who have never been to Mexico. The hotel's roped off beach area with palapas is very small and so is
the pool area. They had a very obnoxious DJ who started at 10am
so if your looking for a place with a little quiet time this is NOT the place.
We stayed at the Camino Real before it became Dreams and have yet to find
a property in PVR that can compare. We just hate doing the all inclusive.
Fiesta Americana has a great beach and nonAI. The reason I'm on this site is
because there are so many great deals to PVR.I can get a nonstop flight from Chicago and a room at Buenaventura for under $600pp. I might just bring the earmuffs I've been wearing the last 6 mos. : (

army88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by army88 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:51 am

buenaventura is the place to stay! very comfy beds! pool bar is great! for all inclusive, food is great ,and within walking dist. to all shopping,clubs and rest...cheers! the walk to town is a piece of cake ,you can walk the beach or take the side walk...beach is easier..less hassel, and no ear muffs needed..lol. cheers!

Andi Weisz
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thanks for info

Post by Andi Weisz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 am

This is a very useful information since summer is fast approaching. My friends and I are considering hibernating in this place:)