Dreams vs. Camino Real vs. El Presidente?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Dreams vs. Camino Real vs. El Presidente?

Post by slocal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi All,

My wife and I love PV and have stayed, almost yearly, at what used to be the Camino Real, which is now the Dreams. When it became Dreams it went to the AI format which we don't like. The beach, staff and property cannot be beat IMO. However a big part of what we liked about PV was strolling downtown for a nice lunch or going out for a nice dinner at one of the many great restaurants ....

We also think the unlimited drinks have contributed a bit to roudiness but that doesnt bother us so much as the AI. We have taken a tour of the El Presidente, just down the road and it is a good looking place but the beach is almost non-existent and the hotel keeps the pool in shade a good portion of the time and I have heard about excessive hidden charges. When I add up the cost of the Dreams as an AI and the El Presidente and paying for all meals, it comes to about the same

... so if anyone out there has a comparison between the Dreams and El Presidente and was also familiar with the old Camino Real, I would love to start a discussion, since we are getting ready to decide on a spring 2010 trip to PV.

Thanks for any input.

SLOCAL

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 am

When we went down to check on the progress of our new condo in Jan 08 we stayed at the Presidente and throughly enjoyed it. Our huge oceanfront room was on one of the upper floors and the view was magnificant. We only ate breakfast and lunch there which was okay. The service and staff were first rate. We weren't brave enough to ride the bus, but the taxi ride wasn't too bad.

Youarethere
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Loved the Camino Real

Post by Youarethere » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 pm

My first trip to PV in 1992 I stayed at the Camino and it was beautiful for a # of reasons. The staff there was wonderful, the beach was clean and big and when we wanted to eat at the hotel the food was yummy. I also made a life long friend there on my next to last day and returnred the next month. He took his vacation for the week to spend as much time with me as he could and showed me the real beauty of PV from the eyes of a local. As the years went by I would spend weeks at a time there. So with all that said and I could go on, I have many beautiful memories of the Camino that hotel that I will treasure forever. Email me, maybe we know alot of the same people.

catlee
PV Fan
PV Fan

Dreams

Post by catlee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:18 pm

We stayed last year at Dreams and we were astounded at the almost-gourmet quality of the food. The price this year was comparable to the hotel we like in the Romantic Zone, Playa los Arcos, (WITHOUT food!! ) But we decided we liked the neighborhood at PLA and we could walk around so easily down there.
We definitely will return to Dreams again though.