New to Puerto Vallarta

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 pm

You will have to get out in the morning to do you shopping and sight-seeing. You can walk to Plaza Caracol of Galleria Vallarta. You cna bus to the Malecon.

In the afternoon, plan to stay by the pool and wet. In the evening, venture out if you dare for a special restaurant or club.

LindoMarLover
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: July??

Post by LindoMarLover » Wed May 05, 2010 2:10 am

[quote="LindoMarLover"]are you sure that you want to go in July? It's hot and humid, uncomfortable-for me anyway- we like spring, fall and winter, but not summer in PV.
Maybe ok for you, but I'm just saying
[go all-in or don't go at all :roll: ]

JeanieRich
PV Fan
PV Fan

Melia

Post by JeanieRich » Sat May 08, 2010 3:34 pm

My partner and I just returned from Melia (AI) Puerta Vallarta by the Marina where the smaller boats dock, it's just across the street. This area is different than the hotel zone or downtown, wide streets, not as many cars, many Americans (American Hospital?) and Canadians, easy walk without as many street husslers, free internet if you buy a cup of coffee, bar ontop of the lighthouse to watch sunsets, some upscale shops; since we were doing a sort of romantic thing it was lovely. The complex is pretty large, bigger than Golden Crown (it's adults only but the buffet includes kids!), where I have stayed. There were a few more kids than we might have enjoyed at Melia, other than that, great food, we didn't eat every meal there but the drinks were better than Golden Crown. Right on the beach, long walks are do-able, nice pool with swim up bar. The bus was 6.5 pesos to town and we are adventurous so we didn't hang out at the hotel all the time. Sunday was a must on the Malecon, we saw some great entertainment there. About 4 out of 7 days we found ourselves downtown so it's a toss up weather to stay downtown/hotel zone or bus/taxi it a few times during your stay, we plan to go back so maybe next time we will stay closer to downtown. A little pricy but ya can't take it with ya was our attitude this trip! I've been all over Mexico but I keep going back to P.V. Next stop Cozumel in September.

LindoMarLover
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by LindoMarLover » Sun May 09, 2010 5:13 pm

The marina is great, we usually stay at the Flamingo ($60.00 a night) for a couple of days just before our depature. Great pool, cheap spa, massages, treatments, etc. Lots to do in the marina and less hectic for sure, but a bit more pricey for dinners out, but there is alot to choose from. One sea food place right at the south east end offers free tequila with dinner, they just put the bottle right on the table and let you have at it. There is also a great Italian place right in the middle just west of the light house, they have a patio right out over the water and the food is quite creative and delicious! The great thing is that it's 5 minutes from the airport, graet location for a few days on your way in or out.
[go all-in or don't go at all! :roll: ][/quote]

playa050
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by playa050 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:33 pm

any one suggest some hotels in the Playa Los Muertos area and romance zone..single first trip to pv..traveled to playa for 15 yrs..
need a little help with which area to choose thanks..
no ai...

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

We had a great time at Play Los Arcos. Right on the beach close to the old pier and smack dab in the middle of all kinds of great restaurants and night life. Think we paid 90/night. Think we booked it through hotels.com. Was cheaper then booking direct. That was taxes in. They have an AI package but we didn't buy it because we eat out alot. Breakfast at C Y C's on the beach was always good and then all we ate was dinner. A lot of my friends like the Tropicana too. Nothing fancy but again in this same area. Another one stayed at Marsol. This is a very cheap place, didn't see the rooms but definitely bare bones. Kind of depends on what you are looking for and what you want to spend.

playa050
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by playa050 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 pm

i'm thinking of that area..is that downtown...
really want to be near resturants etc but not jammed with tons of touristd like cruise ships..
so downtown/south of marina...thanks

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Right downtown in the thick of things. What time of year are you going? That will make a difference for pricing and business. On tour ship days it is always busy on the malecon and in the restaurants. I don't shop that day and we really never wait at restaurants.....There are so many you can just go to another one. You can actually use Google street view to check out Puerto Vallarta. Its pretty cool...

playa050
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by playa050 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:13 pm

i did the google
probably going beg of nov..
was suppose to go back to playa del carmen
in 3 weeks but have to take of some stuff..
i have friends moving from playa to pv..
it would be nice to check out a new destination...playa 15 yrs

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 pm

I love Puerto Vallarta. Went the first time in the 80's and have gone back the last 4 years in a row. If you like action you would like this area. I have not gone in November but I'm sure the prices are still reasonable then. I love all the music downtown has to offer, on the beach, in the bars, in restaurants.