Melia or Westin?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mexicodrmr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Melia or Westin?

Post by mexicodrmr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm

anybody have feedback on either of these choices"?

choochiegirl
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by choochiegirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

I've stayed at the Melia for the last few years, going back in a few weeks, never been to the Westin so I can't compare.
What I do like about the Melia is the grounds, the gardens and pool area are awesome, the koi pond, the staff are friendly, the food is good and location is great, not in the noisy heart of PV, but across from some nice shops in the Marina, not far from Walmart either and a nice area to walk around.
There are usually a lot of family and small children, so if you don't want to be around that, the Melia may not be for you.

Have stayed at the Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza and the Hacienda hotel & spa, and prefer to go back to the Melia

oh one thing with the Melia, they do have a "vacation club/time share", that they will try to sell you on. Since I have been there before they don't push it, but just a warning. It's like most places in PV, everyone has something to sell you at some point.

bvopcheryl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bvopcheryl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:13 am

We stayed at the Westin a couple years ago and I have to say it is the best hotel I think I have ever stayed at. The pool area is awesome. The food is good and so are the drinks.

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

melia = ford. (a nice ford)
westin = cadillac.
hope that helps.

aklydia
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by aklydia » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 pm

really Melia is the choice if you have children under 4, my 4 year old and 1.5 year old had the time of their lives. While it didn't compare room wise to Barcelo (we stayed here a week too) the kids programs, kids parties / disco's etc, zero entry pools, characters more than made up for it. Myself my husband and my parents were never once approached by the timeshare people and we adored it here will probably return until our youngest is old enough to participate in kids programs at other places.

Also we upgraded to a Jr Suite for 60 usd a night which was much more comparable to a nicer hotels rooms. You can do this if they aren't fully booked.
It's basically 2 rooms with a doorway connecting them and a larger sitting area and upgraded linens/flat panels etc.