Hotel Tipping

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

denny8569
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Hotel Tipping

Post by denny8569 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:15 am

Hey all,
When you're staying at a hotel, do you ever feel confused about when or how much to tip? Share your thoughts and questions about hotel tipping here!

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Botones: $10-$20 depending on how much luggage we have.
Camarista: $1 each day per person and then something additional at the end of our stay.

grammalil
PV Fan
PV Fan

tipping

Post by grammalil » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:50 pm

we will be staying at Plaza Mar condos - maid service twice while we are there..........what do you suggest tipping?? Thanks for your help

MontanaKimmie
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by MontanaKimmie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:34 am

grammalil

We stayed at Plaza Mar for 9 nights in December. At the front desk they have a recommendation sheet of how much you should tip the maids at the end of your stay. Even though they said you get maid service every 3 days, it was every other day except on Sundays. Our maid also did our dishes. :D We just tipped according to their recommendation on how many people we had and how may days they cleaned. Hope this helps & have a great trip!

pvkid
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Tipping at Plaza Mar

Post by pvkid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi all, tipping is a personal thing and you should never tip if you get bad service. Most of the maids rely on tips as their major source of income, like a water or waitress they make a small wage and the tips are the majority of their pay. Because of this most maids do a great job because they know their tip will be bigger.
At Plaza Mar, the customary amount is about $1.00 per day per person ($14.00 for 2, $28.00 for 4 people per week) This is not just the days the maid comes but all days of your stay. On the off days they are still working for you sorting and washing linen and other things.

If they are not doing a good job the person at the front desk should be informed so the maids supervisor can be informed and the problem corrected.

the pvkid

MontanaKimmie
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by MontanaKimmie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:32 pm

pvkid

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I couldn't remember the rates for the maids at Plaza Mar, but it was very helpful to have a recommended list for them as many people just really don't know how much to tip. We did tip for all days and not just the days they cleaned. I can't remember every having bad maid service in PV and they are definitely some of the hardest working people I have ever seen and honestly earn every dollar they make.

Kim

grammalil
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by grammalil » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Thank you!

This board is awesome for help- 5 days til I'm there!