Is PV right for me??? Stressed out MOM...

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan
Is PV right for me??? Stressed out MOM...

Post by Oneroberta » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Here it is ... Planning a vacation and was already to book at Villa Premiere... NOW I'm having 2nd thoughts... I have 5 kids so vacations without them are few and far between... Finances also limit us... BUT I LOVE LUXURY!!! Also we are limited to time we can take only 4 nights the end of JUNE... and that is it...

We live in Washington state... so everything is sooo far from us... Here is what I want out of a vacation..

WARM.... BEACH... I love the Ocean and would love to swim and stroll... I have been to Cancun and adore the Aqua Blue Ocean and White Sands... I have read that PV has Rocky Beaches.. too Rocky to stroll along barefoot??? and the water is it nice for swimming...

Next I read that June is Rainy season in PV.... I dont mind the afternoon rain.... But is it cloudy all day... I adore BLUE sky.... Hot Sun and a slight breeze.... Ahhhhhh i hear a hammock beckoning me.

But I love the charms of Europe and all the old buildings... I see PV has this to offer too...

I feel I am being so picky.. but I may not get another selfish trip for a long time ..That is what this is a "Selfish Trip"... to fill up one overworked and under appreciated MOM.... I want it all.....

PLEASE HELP ME...

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun May 02, 2010 8:21 pm

There are only certain areas in PV where the beaches are rocky. Maybe it would help if you could give a price range you are looking to spend per day for your accomodations. I think PV can and will give you everything you are looking for in a stress free vacation, it is just finding the resort that fits your wants and needs the best and an idea of how much you have budgeted for lodging would help. :)

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun May 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Just to add: your topic: "Stressed out Mom". Planning a vacation should not stress you out. It should be fun. As they say, "half the fun of a voyage is getting there". You should really take a deep breath and calm down and have FUN with your planning. Chuck... 8)

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Oneroberta » Sun May 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Well when I say finances are an issue it means not alot of vacations.... Quality is very important to me so I was planning a travel budget of around $1500.00 air fare will be about 900 of that so I would like to stay under $200 night ... From all I've read I don't want AI ... I love to explore new places and love the adventure of finding the next perfect meal...

Chuck..... Planning a vacation isn't what stresses me out... Didn't you read I HAVE 5 KIDS...All Boys.... Planning this trip is my sanity and Stressed out is just. Figure of speech.... I love my boys and enjoy every minute with them... But it's time for some grown up time... Thanks

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Well, sure I read you have 5 boys. Many of us have(or had)kids at home and don't get "stressed out" Oner, and I don't really understand since they aren't going with you, why bring them up?

My whole point to you is that you can make planing your trip almost as much fun as the actual trip itself, but letting yourself get "stressed out" will just get in the way. And "figure of speech"? Why have a figure of speech that would give the wrong idea of what you are really saying? Thanks, and I hope you have a wonderful, restful time with your husband. Sounds like you really deserve it. Chuck... 8)

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 pm

PV is a great place to de-stress. We have taken our vacations in PV (all were AI) with our children and without... we've even taken all of our children, they're spouses, and our grandchildren, and everyone had a great time.. (although you could have probably bought a small house for what it cost).

Flying to PV is not very long... (I live a lot further north than you), and you are not concerned with volcano ash, lost luggage, or extreme prices as you would in Europe. June is getting to be pretty warn and wet, and you are correct about some of the beaches especially when compared to Cancun, but it is a wonderful place to veg out and forget about life's little problems.

When with our family we stay at the Melia... not cheap, but not five star either, but it has a horrible beach.. by ourselves we liked the Golden Crown Paradise (also AI), which has a really decent beach for PV. If you want 18 kilometres of beautiful sand... go to Neuvo Vallarta, just north of PV. I am sure there are some really great non AI's around the GCP that will fit your bill and the Villa Premiere sounds wonderful.

It sounds like you have never been to PV. Think of it as a vacation to reduce stress... if you are in the right frame of mind when you get there... nothing can tick you off to change your mood.... take lots of pics... eat well.. drink often... and enjoy your partners company. PV is great at providing that.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 am

I would try the following in no special order:
Velas Vallarta (Marina Area)
Westin or Mariott (Marina Area)

Fiesta Americana (Hotel Zone)

Villa Premiere (Hotel Zone) but the beach is rocky.

If you don't mind being off the beach
Casa Isabel - small boutique hotel awsome view but not on the beach - town is walkable but the hill going up to it will be your exercise or the day.

LindoMar - South of town, great small beach and a short bus or taxi ride to town.

Dreams - Further south but very private beach and great reviews. Short bus or taxi ride to town.

If you want to go to Nuevo Vallarta instead of Puerto Vallarta:

Villa Del Palmar Flamingos - great beach - nice resort 25 to 40 minute taxi ride to town depending on traffic.

If you go to Trip Advisor - Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta forums you can find hotel reviews from people who have stayed there. Take the ones that complain with a grain of salt, unless you see the same complaints over and over again. There are people who have bad luck and there are people you can just never please no matter how hard you try. I usually search the reviews for the same things people like and dislike review after review and base my opinion on that.

Have fun planning. Post and let us know what you decide.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Mon May 03, 2010 4:38 pm

You deserve a relaxing vacation!! June can be quite rainy, especially in the evenings, just as you are leaving your hotel for dinner!! I always bring sandals that can get wet, and sometimes I carry nicer shoes in a bag, and switch to the nice shoes on arrival to the restaurant. The streets sometimes turn into mini rivers. Definitely bring your umbrella!

The PV beaches are not like the Cancun beaches, but on the other hand, you get to watch a gorgeous sunset over the water!! You will have heat and sun. Some days are overcast, but you are bound to have some clear times.

Since you like a European feel, even though this hotel is expensive, you have to check out their website: www.haciendasanangel.com This place is unbelievable!! Maybe you can negociate a lower rate.

There are some really nice condos for $100 - 125 per night (including taxes, cleaning, etc) on craigslist in the puerto vallarta section. Search for "selva" and then you will see Casa Christina, Casa de Felicidad, Casa de Dante, and another 1 bedroom penthouse unit, all in the same complex, and the penthouse one is owned by people who live in Washington state! We have stayed at this complex before, and it is really nice, and only 2 blocks downhill to the beach. Walking distance to everything. Tons of restaurants within a 5 minute walk.

Good luck, and have fun. Massages are very affordable in PV!

Sally

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Mon May 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I would vote for a condo in Selva Romantica as well. We placed two of visitng our couples there and they loved it. The other couple stayed at La Siesta Suites. And the remaining couple stayed with us!

Villa Premier is high end but the beach is lonely. Los Muertos beach is never lonely! And you can chill out by the pool and watch the world go by. If you decide on it, tell Eileen that Keith sent you.

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Oneroberta » Mon May 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the info... All of these place sound great!
PV sounds so perfect.... I am more than a little concerned about weather now that you mentioned just how much it could rain.... SUNSHINE thats what i need.... anyone else want to elaborate on END of JUNE Weather...

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 am

The fun part about late June is that there are usually at least a few hours of sun each day --- get out there while you can........and some evenings are perfect as well. Sunsets can be gorgeous, with pink dappled clouds and streaks of orange.

But........if it is going to rain in the evening or all night, it is actually quite entertaining. Often thunder and lightning occur, and the rain can be quite heavy at times (not the usual Pacific Northwest constant soft rain).

And then the next day when you get up, it feels fresh, the streets are clean, and the sun is shining! It remains warm throughout these weather changes.

One time, we were walking to Barcelona Tapas for dinner (one of my favorite PV restaurants), and it was not raining where we were walking, but it must have been raining in the mountains above PV, since a torrent of water came down the street (31st de Octubre) like a tidal wave.

My friend saw it before I did, and we were just about to cross the street near the restaurant. She yelled, "Run!" and we both ran (uphill on cobblestones--- thankfully I was wearing practical shoes) and narrowly avoided the "river" coming down. Quite an experience--- one that I will never forget. Then we had the pleasure of climbing the 100 steps up to Barcelona Tapas. We were ready for some sangria!

You can't go wrong! Don't worry!! You are going to have a great time whatever the weather may be! Bring a good book; your flight is long anyway! Buy a magazine that you never have time to read at home. Kick your feet up.

Sally

catlee
PV Fan
PV Fan

Romantic Zone

Post by catlee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi, stressed mom!! We love staying at a truly Mexican colonial family-type hotel right on the beach in the Romantic Zone (next to downtown). Hotel Playa Los Arcos is a quirky, friendly medium-priced place. We always upgrade the room to have a water view when we make the reservation. Last Dec. we were right above the spa on second floor with palm trees, and beach in front--paradise!! We opted for the room + breakfast plan, so we could eat at all the fine restaurants in PV later in the day. When you sit in the open air dining room you are right at the beachside sidewalk and can enjoy the constant parade of people coming and going during the day. You can walk the beach also. The sidewalk goes over several pedestrian bridges and joins the downtown Malecon (boardwalk). A great place to people watch and drink a sparkling lemonade (or cerveza!) and eat lunch is Dolce Vita. Cafe de Olla on Basilio Badillo St. (block from the hotel) is good and to save money we ate at the tiny storefront cafe next door to it. Tacos al Carbon -- wow!!! Roasted pork with pineapple on top. You must try it.
The best part of staying at this hotel is that you can walk everywhere and forget about taxis, unless you are going lots further to different activities.
It is truly a relaxing place. Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!!!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:06 am

Was at this hotel this year in February. Loved it!

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Just want to say, if you haven't already gone, GO. It's off season so you won't find much better prices on everything P.V. has to offer, which is just about everything except stress. As long as you resist the timeshare come ons that is.