First trip to PV in February

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by darla99 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 am

My husband and I will be going to Puerto Vallarta sometime in February. We have grown tired of the Mayan Riviera, so I have been looking at some 4 star hotels in PV. They are Golden Crown Plaza, Plaza Pelicanos Grand, Buenaventura and Friendly Hola Vallarta. We don't mind walking a little, if these hotels are close to town. We would love anyone's opinion on these resorts. Thanks a lot.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:48 am

Golden Crown Paradise is the furthest from town, then Hola, Plaza Pelicanos and Buenaventura. Buenaventura is about the closest one for walking distance but all are easily accessible to buses and taxis. As you mentioned all are 4 star and all-inclusive. Even if you go all-inclusive make sure you do experience a couple of the restaurants in PV, it is a real foodie's paradise with many, many wonderful restaurants. Nothing wrong with all-inclusive if that is your preference but at least try a couple of restaurants outside of your resort.

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by darla99 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm

katnsocal wrote:Golden Crown Paradise is the furthest from town, then Hola, Plaza Pelicanos and Buenaventura. Buenaventura is about the closest one for walking distance but all are easily accessible to buses and taxis. As you mentioned all are 4 star and all-inclusive. Even if you go all-inclusive make sure you do experience a couple of the restaurants in PV, it is a real foodie's paradise with many, many wonderful restaurants. Nothing wrong with all-inclusive if that is your preference but at least try a couple of restaurants outside of your resort.

In your opinion, is one of these hotels any better than the other? I'm also going to check with our travel agent to see if there are any hotels that offer breakfast only, as this might be a better alternative.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Darla: First off, let me say that this board is not TripAdvisor. We are not so much into telling you what is "best". That is up to you to find out and tell us what you like. Most all the properties are "best" in their own ways. They all have their own personalities. If you spend some time reading this forum, you will get an idea about many of the properties. Second, once you are down in PV, you will have an opportunity to visit various prpoerties so your second and subsequent trips will be even more enjoyable. You take care and most of all, have fun. You really can't go wrong where ever you decide to stay. Chuck... 8)

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Chuck is right.... but if I was given a choice from the list you provided... it would be the GCP... adults only... fairly decent beach... sit down restaurants and a great buffet one next door that you are allowed to use... heated pool, all the best liquors... It's not a 5 star but you can't go wrong. I would not do the Hola Vallarta.... have heard Buenaventure is nice but never been there.

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by darla99 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:47 pm

ronald wrote:Chuck is right.... but if I was given a choice from the list you provided... it would be the GCP... adults only... fairly decent beach... sit down restaurants and a great buffet one next door that you are allowed to use... heated pool, all the best liquors... It's not a 5 star but you can't go wrong. I would not do the Hola Vallarta.... have heard Buenaventure is nice but never been there.

Thanks a lot for the information.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:54 pm

If it was me and I am not saying any one is better than the other but using your criteria of being able to walk to town I would have to go with BV. Hola has never impressed me and I have been going in and out of that property for the past 20+ years. I can't say what it is that doesn't impress me, there is just something about it. GCP is the furthest away and most of the people that go back year after year love it. That again depends on if walking to town is a big criteria for you. If you are not against using the bus vs a taxi then being further from town is not that big of a deal. I never do AI because I have too many favorite restaurants in PV so I can't advise you on who has the best food, service, etc. Not much help was I? :D

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by darla99 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am

katnsocal wrote:If it was me and I am not saying any one is better than the other but using your criteria of being able to walk to town I would have to go with BV. Hola has never impressed me and I have been going in and out of that property for the past 20+ years. I can't say what it is that doesn't impress me, there is just something about it. GCP is the furthest away and most of the people that go back year after year love it. That again depends on if walking to town is a big criteria for you. If you are not against using the bus vs a taxi then being further from town is not that big of a deal. I never do AI because I have too many favorite restaurants in PV so I can't advise you on who has the best food, service, etc. Not much help was I? :D
Thanks for the info.

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: First trip to PV in February

Post by darla99 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:42 pm

[quote="shermanshawn"]The Puerto Vallarta Botanical Gardens is a beautiful place to visit.

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort:
The resort also offers a lot of activities both for family and individual from jet skiing to parasailing to other tours they offer, and reasonably priced (in US currently from 30-50 dollars per person). It is located between the airport and the romantic zone of downtown Puerto Vallarta so be prepared for a walk or short bus or cab ride.

We'd like to take a couple tours when we are in PV so thank you for recommending the Botanical Gardens. We'd also like to see the points of interest in town.

travone
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

I've stayed at both Hola and GCP

Post by travone » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

I've stayed at both Hola and GCP. Of the two, I prefer the Hola. The rooms are bigger and the balcony's are bigger, with a view of the ocean. I paid extra for an ocean view room at GCP and couldn't see a thing because palms trees blocked the view.

Also, the "regulars" at GCP seem to think they own all the lawn chairs. No matter how early you got to the pool, all the chairs were taken. Mind you, no body was sitting in the chairs or in the water, but they claimed the chair as theirs for the entire day. It was not unusual for the chair to be "claimed" by 8 am and nobody would use it until 2 pm.

I also had a problem getting my room cleaned at GCP. I would return from the pool around 4-5 and my room still wouldn't be clean. I had to call down to the front desk 4 days out of the 6 I was there.

I will say the staff at GCP was very nice. Especially the bartenders and waiters, but they are also nice at Hola. But, the final straw that is keeping me away from GCP is this: I went to the lunch buffet in the "family" section, and watched as a woman changed her child's diaper...outside the bathroom, and then went immediatly to the buffet. No hand washing at all. Needless to say, I didn't eat there again.

Now, having said all this, I've also stayed at the Villa Premier which is right next door to the Buenaventure. I love that location. From what I could see the Buenaventure pool area is very nice. Because I like the location so much...a quick walk to town, I think I will try that hotel this year.

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: I've stayed at both Hola and GCP

Post by darla99 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:29 pm

travone wrote:I've stayed at both Hola and GCP. Of the two, I prefer the Hola. The rooms are bigger and the balcony's are bigger, with a view of the ocean. I paid extra for an ocean view room at GCP and couldn't see a thing because palms trees blocked the view.

Also, the "regulars" at GCP seem to think they own all the lawn chairs. No matter how early you got to the pool, all the chairs were taken. Mind you, no body was sitting in the chairs or in the water, but they claimed the chair as theirs for the entire day. It was not unusual for the chair to be "claimed" by 8 am and nobody would use it until 2 pm.

I also had a problem getting my room cleaned at GCP. I would return from the pool around 4-5 and my room still wouldn't be clean. I had to call down to the front desk 4 days out of the 6 I was there.

I will say the staff at GCP was very nice. Especially the bartenders and waiters, but they are also nice at Hola. But, the final straw that is keeping me away from GCP is this: I went to the lunch buffet in the "family" section, and watched as a woman changed her child's diaper...outside the bathroom, and then went immediatly to the buffet. No hand washing at all. Needless to say, I didn't eat there again.

Now, having said all this, I've also stayed at the Villa Premier which is right next door to the Buenaventure. I love that location. From what I could see the Buenaventure pool area is very nice. Because I like the location so much...a quick walk to town, I think I will try that hotel this year.
Thank you very much for your reply. My husband and I have been looking at the Hola and by the videos we've watched, it looks very nice. Am I right, that the Buenaventura is in the city center? Also are the beaches sandy at these two properties?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:55 am

The beach at Hola is better than the beach at Buenaventura. Hola, Fiesta Americana, Villa Del Palmar, and Holiday Inn did alot of work restoring their beaches after the STORM SURGE from Hurricane Kenna tore up the beaches. The beaches still have alot of rocks in the sand and the water in the Sheraton, Pelicanos and Buenaventura areas. It makes walking on the beach and swimming difficult due to rocks you are kicking/stepping on in and out of the water.

It depends on what you like to do, if you are pool people then the beach will not be an issue for you. If you are beach and swimming in the ocean people it might be an issue for you. Each place you have mentioned has it's pros and cons depending on the type of traveler you are.

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by darla99 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 pm

katnsocal wrote:The beach at Hola is better than the beach at Buenaventura. Hola, Fiesta Americana, Villa Del Palmar, and Holiday Inn did alot of work restoring their beaches after the STORM SURGE from Hurricane Kenna tore up the beaches. The beaches still have alot of rocks in the sand and the water in the Sheraton, Pelicanos and Buenaventura areas. It makes walking on the beach and swimming difficult due to rocks you are kicking/stepping on in and out of the water.

It depends on what you like to do, if you are pool people then the beach will not be an issue for you. If you are beach and swimming in the ocean people it might be an issue for you. Each place you have mentioned has it's pros and cons depending on the type of traveler you are.
Well, on Saturday, we booked our vacation at the Hola for the first week of February, at $1145. pp plus tax. We had the sunwing brochure discount plus our sears points discount for a total of $800. so we'll have more spending money for a couple tours and meals out. We're not crazy about sunwing airlines, because they're often late, but the price is right.

travone
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Enjoy

Post by travone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Enjoy your trip at the Hola. Since you will be eating some meals out, make sure to try Kaiser Maximillian (may not be spelled right). It is downtown and was the best meal I had in Mexico last year. I only half jokingly told the waiter it was a good thing it was near the end of my trip, or I may have eaten there every night. There are so many good restaurants in PV don't be afraid to try them out.

darla99
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re: Enjoy

Post by darla99 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:08 pm

travone wrote:Enjoy your trip at the Hola. Since you will be eating some meals out, make sure to try Kaiser Maximillian (may not be spelled right). It is downtown and was the best meal I had in Mexico last year. I only half jokingly told the waiter it was a good thing it was near the end of my trip, or I may have eaten there every night. There are so many good restaurants in PV don't be afraid to try them out.
I've made a note of it, plus a few other restaurants. Thanks a lot.

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Vallarta Torre

Post by poppy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:08 pm

This building is right next door to GCP. If you book early, I rent out my time because I have a condo in NV. Send direct email.

aploj
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by aploj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 am

Good choice Hola Hotel, the operator/owner, a very well known person in the local community, also owns the restaurant nearby (50 mtrs) "La Leche". It is a very trendy spot, and has been recognized by Conde Nast or Travel + Leisure (cannot remember) amongst the top 23 restaurants in Mexico! I´ve been many times and the food is very original and is not so expensive. Same price as Kaiser Maximilian but significantly better (I actually think Kaiser Maximilian is overrated, been there many times and have never eaten well... i would rate it average within Vallarta).

try to go to those restaurants where locals go, avoid the touristy ones...

LindoMarLover
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

March at Lindo Mar

Post by LindoMarLover » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm

we may not be able to go this March, we have a great condo at LindoMar that you might want to consider: 1 bed room on 5th floor, beach front with balcony view, march 5th thru march 12th 2011, we also have a floating week that could be booked for any available week in a two bedroom condo
my email is watch4me1@verizon.net

ilovemexico
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ilovemexico » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:47 pm

katnsocal wrote:Golden Crown Paradise is the furthest from town, then Hola, Plaza Pelicanos and Buenaventura. Buenaventura is about the closest one for walking distance but all are easily accessible to buses and taxis. As you mentioned all are 4 star and all-inclusive. Even if you go all-inclusive make sure you do experience a couple of the restaurants in PV, it is a real foodie's paradise with many, many wonderful restaurants. Nothing wrong with all-inclusive if that is your preference but at least try a couple of restaurants outside of your resort.

I agree. We are going to the Buenaventura for the 3rd time. We love it there.