Dreams conversion to Hyatt?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Dreams conversion to Hyatt?

Post by slocal » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:23 am

My wife and I have been coming to PV since 1991 and we used to stay at the Camino Real, now the Dreams just south of town. Recently I booked 10 days in early April 2014 and put down a deposit. My travel agent now informs me that the hotel ownership is changing. I managed to find out that they are shutting down for complete major renovation about the time we leave! I had a similar experience staying in a hotel in Miami for a professional meeting and the staff all knew they were being let go for a long time, there was poor somber service and the food and bar were terrible as no one cared. I am concerned this might happen to us during that last week of the Dreams before it closes for reno. Anyone out there have any insights? I would like to think the staff (many of whom we know by first name) would be professional and we would have just as good a time as always, but I have real concerns.

Thanks to anyone for any insights. Happy holidays and new year too!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:39 am

There is a lot of discussion about it on Tripadvisor. This is the latest post from a guy that is getting married there in April 2014. Perhaps you should contact the resort directly if you are not comfortable with what you have been told.

"Dreams will be shutting down on April 29th for renovations. However, Marvin is not the guy to call with your questions. He is in charge of booking groups, having taken over for Nancy a few weeks ago. If you've got a group booked at DPV, he's the guy to contact. If you've got an individual reservation, contact the hotel's reservation desk to find out what your options are. As previously mentioned, if you're affected by all this, you need to contact the hotel yourself. I repeat, unless you have a group booking at Dreams Puerto Vallarta, Marvin is not the person to call to answer your questions. I can tell you from personal experience that given the Dreams' current situation, they have been as helpful as they can be.

If you're looking to book at DPV after April 30th, save yourself the time and look elsewhere.

It looks like you are getting ahead of the switchover and renos. Perpaps to ease your mind you should call the individual reservation desk."

Hope that helps.

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

The last few weeks at Dreams before the reno

Post by slocal » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. Again, I am not concerned about arriving to a shuttered resort, but more concerned about whether the usual high quality of service, food and amenities will continue to the very shut down. We are leaving on April 21st so should leave before that … but if the staff is being cut and are demoralized that could make for a very unpleasant situation to the guests as I once experienced in a hotel in Miami. … so it probably isn't something anyone who works for the hotel can answer honestly, … we will just have to wing it! If anyone else has any insights, I would love to hear. I am sure others are in the same boat. I originally tried booking in May and nothing came up … now I know why!!

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Back from 10 days at Dreams PV - hope Hyatt doesn't ruin it

Post by slocal » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:49 pm

My wife and I just returned from our 12th stay at the ex-Camino Real, soon to be ex-Dreams at PV. We were happy that the staff was all there, the spirits were good and the grounds were in good shape. For the most part, things were as always. We heard mixed stories about what is going to happen when Hyatt "rebrands" the resort. Only thing for sure is that it will remain an AI. We have heard varied stories on the fate of the employees as well as the physical renovations. The latter range from a complete new 3 story lobby with pool, and a new restaurant. I am HOPING they concentrate on fixing and repairing and try to keep the cultural flavor and not turn it into an american chrome/glass/plastic resort. Of course, things need to be redone: rooms in the old tower are 40+ yrs old, the main pool is in need of replacement, handicap access, and things like that. I hope Hyatt reads the comments of the many folks we met there this time (who are repeat) and do not change the basics of the place!! We hope Gregorio, Eduardo, Jose, Norma, Miguel, Fernando and the whole crew end up coming back. We had a great time complete with daily dolphin and manta ray shows!

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

December at the New Hyatt - old Dreams?

Post by slocal » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Has anyone got any updated (first hand?) information on the status of the old Dreams Hotel in PV? Specifically what has been done physically to the property and , if it has reopened, what about the staff and ambience? Thanks for any info, as we are yearly visitors but hesitate to jump into something brand new. We survived the Camino to Dreams conversion but not sure of this one. Happy holidays to all.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:52 am

I haven't stayed there but we drove by in Nov. Before it was re-opened.

It opened 12/18. Here is a link to a couple of the first reviews that were posted on TA.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... R247483587

Fletcher
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re:

Post by Fletcher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:54 am

katnsocal wrote:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:52 am
I haven't stayed there but we drove by in Nov. Before it was re-opened.

It opened 12/18. Here is a link to a couple of the first reviews that were posted on TA.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... R247483587
Thanks for the link.