continental plaza hotel - Somewhat of a disapointment

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

han
continental plaza hotel - Somewhat of a disapointment

Post by han » Sat May 12, 2001 8:47 pm

Beware of Continental Plaza Hotels
LOST and FOUND policy
If you forget shoes, bags, etc. near the pool you
will never see them again.
The staff will go thru the motions of making
the calls to the "Lost in Found Dept"
but there is no such thing. Items some how
never turn up.

Also if you get a pool side room, beware of
the LOUD obnoxious pool events until 4pm
every day.

Rooms are ok at this place, pretty average.
You have to work really hard to get good
customer service, Its rare that you see a smile
come out hotel staff, especially the front desk.

Be prepared to feel pressure to tip even though this is a ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT there are tip
jars everywhere!!!

Jennybean

Re:continental plaza hotel - Somewhat of a disapointment

Post by Jennybean » Tue May 15, 2001 7:45 pm

I regret to be the one to inform you, but just because somewhere is deemed "all-inclusive", in Mexico that does not include tips. Tipping is at your discretion and your choice. I am sorry you weren't pleased with the service; bad service is a rarity in PV, definitely not the norm. Usually the service everywhere is second to none. If service was less than exceptional, tipping would be minimal, if at all, from me, but it would have to be really bad for me not to tip at all.

If you plan a return trip in the future to PV on an all-inclusive plan, please remember that unlike in the Caribbean and places like the "Sandals" chain where tipping is included in your cost, in Mexico that is not the case. Staff make their wages, that's it. Tipping for good service is NOT included in their wages, contrary to popular belief. So if you get great service at your resort, please remember to recognize your great server with a little extra.....it goes a long way.

(from someone who has worked in the industry, and always gave service with a smile!)

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Fri May 18, 2001 6:14 pm

It really is too bad you felt the service was not up to par (not sure what your expectations were). Recently stayed at the Marival in Nuevo and found the service exceptional....even wrote to the Marival upon return to congratulate them on wonderful service as well as the great hospitality.

As to tipping..... actually JennyBean, some of the travel brochures DO state taxes, gratutities/tipping included. That being said, I think what they REALLY mean is you are under no obligation to tip if you don't wish to do so, however, should you find the service very good, tips are very much appreciated. Further, given the average staff wage in PV, what Canadians/Amercians might consider a small tip is very much appreciated by the staff. At the Marival, tips/gratutities WERE included....however, I left a very small tip each morning for our maid and when being served drinks at a table in the lounge made a point of giving a tip every 2-3 rounds. I felt under no pressure to do so and certainly wouldn't if the service was not good.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri May 18, 2001 7:08 pm

I have seen those brochures that state "tipping/taxes included", but a lot of my local friends who work in the industry in PV say it doesn't happen most of the time. I think that it may only be included in some or all of the 5 Star or Gran Turismo resorts, and not in the smaller A/I places - I don't stay in the big resorts, as I am strictly a budget traveler. I have stayed A/I in a couple of the smaller hotels like the San Marino, and tipping was not included, just the tax, even though the brochure said it was included. I do agree heartily though about tipping even a little if tips are included in your cost, because even if they are, they are probably being split about 50 different ways, which cuts it WAY down. You mentioned lower wages,which is very true, so a $10 tip split a bunch of ways doesn't add up to much for a great server.

On a side note, if I do stay in a hotel or a condo where there is maid service, I also take some small incidentals like perfumed soaps, salon shampoos, and bubble baths to give as "gifts" or gratuities to the girls. They really do appreciate them, as a lot of times those are luxury items the girls cannot afford, or simply cannot get. I also take candies for the children that they cannot get there either.......gum, lollipop rings, candy necklaces. Seeing the smile on the faces of these people is reward enough for me, and it's the least I can do for their excellent service with a smile.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Sat May 19, 2001 3:56 pm

Following up on Jennybean's suggestions.....whenever the "chocolate covered almonds vultures" accost you at the door, office, etc., rather than turning them away, buy several boxes. Chatted with a new friend in Mexico who brings down 20-25 boxes each trip. He says the staff go crazy for such treats (difficult to get in Mexico and a luxury they usually cannot afford).

When you stay somewhere, even when the average service of the staff is very good, you'll always find a couple of "special, exemplary" people who stand out from the rest. I made a special point of quietly tipping these 2 people at the Marival something extra just before we left and made a point to write the Marival with their names....hopefully they'll get the special recognition they deserve.

BTW. I think most resorts have an Activities area that generally is a little noisier in the afternoon (getting the people roused up and involved). I guess if you sit right there and are not partaking in the activities it could get annoying. I'd suggest moving away. If they're located near your room, I'd suggest a room change, or better yet, go out and see some of Mexico for the afternoon.