help! going to PV for first time

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

judycm
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
help! going to PV for first time

Post by judycm » Sun May 27, 2001 2:03 pm

I am going to PV with my 13 year old daughter for the first time and have not decided on a place to stay. Any suggestions? One place I looked at for a good price was Hotel Molino De Agua. What do you all think? I am going in July for 7 days. I have spent hours on the computer. My daughter seems to want the tourist thing. I want economics. I just don't know. I really could use some first hand advice. There is a distant friend who lives in Buceria (with cottages to rent on the beach) but my daughter does not want to stay out there cause it is too far from things. She is probably right. thanks and I hope to hear from you soon - anyone..... I am single but I am not planning single activities at this point. bye

Jennybean

Re:help! going to PV for first time

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 28, 2001 4:07 pm

For your first trip to PV, especially traveling with a child/teenager, I tell people to go all-inclusive.....simply because you get everything included, which increases the economic value for you, and as you are new to the city you would not necessarily know where to go to eat, shop, etc.

Check with your travel agent for package sales/deals the time period you are looking to go. For a less expensive all inclusive, I always recommend the San Marino Plaza, or the Las Palmas. Both are owned by Omega Resorts (www.omegaresorts.com), and offer the all inclusive amenities of the big fancy places, at less cost. The San Marino specifically is located in the Old Town/Zona Romantica area of PV, right in the heart of everything.....this may be a selling point for your daughter. I have stayed here twice, and it's a nice, clean hotel with great staff.

Once you have booked a trip, if you do go A/I, get out and about to see what else PV has to offer - use this as a research trip for any future trips you might take. With all inclusive, you have set up a home base, but you still have options to eat out, book tours, see the city and it's sights.

If you want to e-mail me directly, I can give you some more beginner's info for PV.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed May 30, 2001 3:57 pm

You will have a great time at the Molina de Agua! It has a great location, near all the great restaurants and action!! We have not stayed there but the hotel has had good reviews on the AOL travel board!

FAPAP

Post by FAPAP » Wed May 30, 2001 6:25 pm

Hi:

Just got back from Puerto Vallarta and stayed at La Jolla De Mismaloya on an "all-inclusive" package. The place was fantastic (see my review under fapac)and the food was great. Don't know your budget but for a regular one bedroom suite (pull out queen size bed in living room) for hotel, food, air (from New York City, NY) and all taxes and transfers we paid $1200 per person.
Granted we upgraded to a presidential suite
but the two other couples we were with had the one bedroom and it was very nice. They also offer a 2 bedroom suite. The resort has a pretty beach, fantastic pool area and is only 15 minutes into town for fun and shopping. Good luck and enjoy. PV is a very nice place to vacation in Mexico!

PaBi

Post by PaBi » Thu May 31, 2001 10:52 pm

Hi, I've just got back from PV on 05/27th..I would recommend all_inclusive packages-economic, easy, never worried where and whet to eat!...I have stayed in Continental Plaza - great hotel, beach front, great pool w/activities, all-U-can-Eat buffet..hotel located in hotel zone - 5min from downtown and marina, 10 to airport; U can take taxi, bus or walk (bout 20min) to get to downtown...All-Inclusive included food, drinks, transfer airport-hotel and airfare - ONLY $750 per person for 7nights - found on www.funjet.com @hot deals section...make sure to not to pay any asked price @the market-ask for 50% of it!...have Fun!!!!

mrmike9

Post by mrmike9 » Sun Jun 03, 2001 5:14 pm

Well I'm going to be the lone dissenter and suggest you do NOT go all-inclusive. There are just too many good restaurants in PV! I have been to PV several times and went all-inclusive a couple of times and found myself eating outside of the hotel out at least 1/3 of the time! Since it's your first time you know your daughter is going to want to do the Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood thing and maybe even McDonalds so there's 3 meals outside of the hotel right there. And with other great restaurants in town like Maximillians, Daquari Dicks, La Palapa, Andale, Brasil, ect..... you'll wish you hadn't paid in advance to eat at the same place day in and day out.

douglas
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by douglas » Sun Jun 03, 2001 8:24 pm

Hello Judy we just got back from PV we went there to find the best location, best beach and the best restraunts to retire near. We found it. Its the Hotel Marsol on the best beach in PV. Its a mexican hotel but it is clean and you cant beat the area everything is there and your 13 year old will love Senor Frogs 2 blocks away. They charge about $35 for a pool side room and $50 for Ocean View with air conditioning full kitchen 2 beds. We will be living there from Nov. to April this year and I will be running a PV web site out of there to help people like you with your questions my address will be douglastiedeman@hotmail.com. You can check this web site for some awesome prices on 5 star resorts SKY AUCTION.com we have used them and got a week in Mazatlan for $200 and PV for $239 but the resorts are way the hell out of town 45 minutes in Nuevo Vallarta. Let me know if you need any more infor. Now heres the rest of the story you dont need reservations at the hotel Marsol on Olas Atlas accross from Andolas restraunt and in front of the only pier in PV your daughter can fish off the dock. Just simply tell the taxi driver the name and the street go up to the desk and Ben or George who owns it will be there to greet you Georges mothe Rosa might be there also. Have a great time Doug