Sol Melia Puerta Vallarta

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

malogan
Sol Melia Puerta Vallarta

Post by malogan » Sat May 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Seeking info from anyone who has stayed at Melia in the Marina district and/or played golf at Marina Vallarta Golf Club. Planning a short visit end of July. Would also appreciate restaurant, nightlife, shopping recommendations for late 40s/early 50s couple. Thanks!

glory

Re:Sol Melia Puerta Vallarta

Post by glory » Sun May 23, 2004 6:44 pm

It is a wonderful place! Just got back last night, My family of nine were all there for a week. This was the second time at the Melia for my husband and I. The pool is huge. We loved the food/ They have 1 buffet and 2 special restaurants. The service was terrific, and we have eaten at some of best restaurants in Chicago. The buffet is your typical buttet, but good. The Marina location is wonderful. Many great restaurants. Be sure to go to Fajita Banana and Cafe Tacuba and Portobellos. Also take the bus downtown, Many great restaurants. Our first night we all went to Daquiri Dick's to celebrate my son-in laws birthday. Be sure to order the Pyrotechnic Mexican coffee...it is a show by itself. If you have kids they will absolutely love all the activities. Our grandkids were not bored for a minute. Be sure to catch so of the musical shows in the evening at the Melia, we all thought they were great. If you need more info, I will be glad to help. We are already planning to go back next year with a larger bunch.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon May 24, 2004 2:20 am

You're going to golf in PV in July? Brave! I golfed there once in February and barely made it...LOL

One tip: Get an early, early, EARLY tee time so you're not completely dehydrated by 18...July being summer rainy season there and hot/humid as Hades, it would definitely be harder than February!

carolseashore
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by carolseashore » Mon May 24, 2004 12:56 pm

Isn't the Melia an all inclusive hotel??

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Mon May 24, 2004 1:52 pm

Yes and gets consistent good reviews.

EH

Post by EH » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:12 pm

Me and my friends were at the Melia in mid May and had an awesome time. It was one of my best vacations ever. You are gonig to love it. Hope you have fun!

jjordan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jjordan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:05 am

Hi Everyone,

Please help me with info on the beach quality at the Melia. From pictures that I've seen, it appears to have a marina located directly on the beach. Is this true? How does it impact swimming & wading in the ocean. I know that the water gets rough & underwater currents strenghen in the early afternoon thru evening. My family usually go to the Caribbean..but chose Sol Melia PVR this year. Will we be totally disappointerd by the beach & ocean??????
Is this why this resort has the largest pool in PVR - to compensate for the poor beach quality????

HELP!

Many THanks,
JJ

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:55 am

There is a beach. It's not huge, expansive or white powder as in the Caribbean, but there is one there.

If you go to the Pacific side of Mexico expecting the same as the Atlantic side you will be disappointed - two different types of ocean altogether. The Pacific is a deeper green as opposed to the turquoise, but I like it very much. The beaches have more golden sand as opposed to white as well - although you ARE able to find a few powdery white sand beaches to the north (El Anclote comes to mind).

I think you'll enjoy it just fine. If you want to venture out to larger beaches, hit Playa Los Muertos on the south side, or Playa Destiladeras near Bucerias, north of Nuevo Vallarta. Destiladeras especially has some nice small wave action for boogie boarding, and the wide flat beach is expansive, good for walking.