Anyone stayed at the Camino since it changed?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Anyone stayed at the Camino since it changed?

Post by leighg » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 pm

Hello! I think this is the first time I've posted (I've been lurking for months!) my hubby and I are taking our first trip to Mexico in a few weeks and booked at the Camino before it changed ownership. It had such great reviews before, I hope it continues!! So my question is, has anyone stayed there this month? Did the change take place the end of June?? I'll probably have more questions as our trip date get's closer (Aug. 16-20) Any other words of wisdom for first time travelers would be very welcome!

Thanks!

GEGLUCK

Re:Anyone stayed at the Camino since it changed?

Post by GEGLUCK » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:34 am

LeighG (Jul 19, 2004 04:29 p.m.):
Hello! I think this is the first time I've posted (I've been lurking for months!) my hubby and I are taking our first trip to Mexico in a few weeks and booked at the Camino before it changed ownership. It had such great reviews before, I hope it continues!! So my question is, has anyone stayed there this month? Did the change take place the end of June?? I'll probably have more questions as our trip date get's closer (Aug. 16-20) Any other words of wisdom for first time travelers would be very welcome!

Thanks!
I second that question! We were thinking about staying at this resort but have fears it will be noisy with renovations. Please advise if you have been there recently. Thanks.

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:30 pm

GEGLUCK (Jul 22, 2004 07:34 a.m.):

I second that question! We were thinking about staying at this resort but have fears it will be noisy with renovations. Please advise if you have been there recently. Thanks.

Well, it looks like no one has sayed there recently, that wants to post anyway. When are you going? I can let you know how it goes if it's after our stay. But you may want to make a decision before that. Let me know.

Leigh

GEGLUCK

Post by GEGLUCK » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:38 pm

Leigh,

We may be going this October. My travel agent knows someone who is there right now and will give me their feedback. I will pass it along hopefully next week.

Gary

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:32 pm

I just looked on tripadvisor.com and there was one review that indicated that the the renovations are going well, and that they didn't interfere with their trip.

They are changing to Dreams right? If so - we go the same one. Look up the Camino and Trip Advisor - and you'll see the review - it was an excellent one!!

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:14 pm

Sky1018_pv (Jul 27, 2004 12:32 p.m.):
I just looked on tripadvisor.com and there was one review that indicated that the the renovations are going well, and that they didn't interfere with their trip.

They are changing to Dreams right? If so - we go the same one. Look up the Camino and Trip Advisor - and you'll see the review - it was an excellent one!!
Awesome! Thanks!

baysidegirl

Post by baysidegirl » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:16 pm

Just got back from PV. We stayed at Dreams (Camino Real). I can not give enough compliments to this resort. The staff, food and service were amazing. We have traveled to many places thoughout the world and have not been as pleased with the service as we were here. The beach is very clean and is private. Very few vendors and NO TIMESHARE PEOPLE!!! We loved it so much, we plan on going back in March with our son.

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:21 pm

baysidegirl (Aug 05, 2004 01:16 p.m.):
Just got back from PV. We stayed at Dreams (Camino Real). I can not give enough compliments to this resort. The staff, food and service were amazing. We have traveled to many places thoughout the world and have not been as pleased with the service as we were here. The beach is very clean and is private. Very few vendors and NO TIMESHARE PEOPLE!!! We loved it so much, we plan on going back in March with our son.
OH I'm so happy!! Thanks for posting!! Is it the 16th yet!????

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:11 pm

LOL! Almost!! 10 day countdown for you!!

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:11 pm

LOL! Almost!! 10 day countdown for you!!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:18 pm

We have not stayed there be we know Ana Ramirez there in Guest Relations.... and it sounds like it is a wonderful place right now with all the improvements.... Ana is very excited to be working there... and she used to work at the Crown Paradise in guest relations.... we truly miss her.... but it was an excellent opportunity for her.... we are going to go visit the property in February 2005 when we go home to CP....

good luck and love vallarta

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:38 pm

GEGLUCK (Jul 26, 2004 07:38 p.m.):
Leigh,

We may be going this October. My travel agent knows someone who is there right now and will give me their feedback. I will pass it along hopefully next week.

Gary
Gary,
There's a GREAT review for Dreams on the tripadvisor.com website. I don't think it was therebefore, or I missed it!! Just wanted to let you know. ONE MORE WEEK for me!! :) Yahoo.

Leigh

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:53 pm

I don't think there were any reviews there when I checked it either - so you didn't miss it!!

Be excited!! 1 week is great!!!!!

GEGLUCK

Post by GEGLUCK » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:35 pm

Leigh,

Thanks! I reviewed as well. The all-inclusive looks great. Premium drinks, no wristbands, AlaCarte dining (no all-buffet meals). Please let me know how your vacation went. It looks like now we will be going in December (of course the cost is higher then). Can't wait!!

Have a safe trip and have a great time!

Gary

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:04 pm

GEGLUCK (Jul 26, 2004 07:38 p.m.):
Leigh,

Gary
Gary,

Don't know if you saw this review on tripadvisor, thought I'd post just FYI. This is from a person who stayed beginning of July. EXCELLENT review, but definate renovations this fall. :(

**Now about the name change..... the resort wqs sold to DreamResorts international, a luxury all inclusive chain. They were actually changing the signs when we arrived at the resort,lol. It is now called Dreams Resort PV. They will commence refurbishment in September and be done by mid- December,a nd then it will be all-inclusive only. They are redecorating every room, completely renovating the pool area to enlarge and improve it, and hopefully adding a jacuzzi. They also are adding 3 more restaurants for a total of 7 and bulding a huge Health Spa. **

GEGLUCK

Post by GEGLUCK » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:19 pm

Thanks Leigh,

My wife and I are officially going this December!!! I spoke with a Dreams rep. and he said they are investing $7 million in renovations. He said that they will shut down one tower and renovate each room and then shut the other tower down and renovate those rooms. He said that the restaurants' decor will be redecorated as well. I asked about the pool, and the rep. responded that he did not hear about the pool. It sounds like that they will take great measures in protecting the customer's enjoyment of their vacations. I am not worried. Thanks!!

Gary

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:36 am

I just got back from PV and stayed at the Dreams, left aug4 and came back aug 9. we didn't have the all inclusive package because we wanted to experience the town. It was a wonderful vacation.

The taxi ride was so hot, when we got out we were greated with cold wet towels to cool off with and also a cold glass of champagne. immediatly I felt good about the place. the bag boys were all real nice and very informative. Our room didn't have a balcony, no problem, front desk took care of a room change to one that has a balcony. We ate at oceana on the resort and the food was very good and the service was very good also. when we were relaxing on the beach oceana was also waiting on us for lunch and drinks and such. very nice. We also had room service just about every morning for breakfast and it was always good and fast.

and as you have read, the beds are hard, but we were doing so much during the day we were exausted at night so we fell asleep pretty good. the pillows also match the bed, so if that is going to bother you then bring your own pillow for comfort and I am sure you will have no problems.

they always have taxis ready and waiting for when you want to go out, from dreams to the malecon was 30 pesos, very cheap IMO.
I would love to go back but unfortunatly I don't think they will be offering non-inclusive rates in the future. If they do offer non-inclusive rates we will be going back.

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:18 pm

Jason (Aug 14, 2004 03:36 a.m.):
I just got back from PV and stayed at the Dreams, left aug4 and came back aug 9. we didn't have the all inclusive package because we wanted to experience the town. It was a wonderful vacation.

The taxi ride was so hot, when we got out we were greated with cold wet towels to cool off with and also a cold glass of champagne. immediatly I felt good about the place. the bag boys were all real nice and very informative. Our room didn't have a balcony, no problem, front desk took care of a room change to one that has a balcony. We ate at oceana on the resort and the food was very good and the service was very good also. when we were relaxing on the beach oceana was also waiting on us for lunch and drinks and such. very nice. We also had room service just about every morning for breakfast and it was always good and fast.

and as you have read, the beds are hard, but we were doing so much during the day we were exausted at night so we fell asleep pretty good. the pillows also match the bed, so if that is going to bother you then bring your own pillow for comfort and I am sure you will have no problems.

they always have taxis ready and waiting for when you want to go out, from dreams to the malecon was 30 pesos, very cheap IMO.
I would love to go back but unfortunatly I don't think they will be offering non-inclusive rates in the future. If they do offer non-inclusive rates we will be going back.
Jason..thank you SO much for this post! I am alway excited to hear GOOD news about the hotel I'm booked at. We are booked for the club tower, which is semi inclusive. Looking forward to it very much. I think I'm going to try and take my pillow tho!!

Leigh

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by slocal » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:42 pm

Hello All Camino Real Lovers,

My wife and I have been vacationing in PV for over 15 yrs. We lucked out and stayed at the Camino by chance way back when and have stayed there every time, usually for about 10 days in March. We love it. We love PV. The attractive things about the Camino are its beach (private and lovely), the staff, and its location only about 3 km South of town. Half of what we like is the hotel area, where we can just plop and do nothing if we choose, but we can also have easy access to PV, the other half of the experience.

In scoping out next year, I was upset to learn it is now owned by Dream Resorts and being converted into an AI. YUCK! Do they have a clue that a good part of the fun in PV is eating in the zillions of great restaurants (from cheap to expensive) and that most of the Camino regulars (whom I have contacted) dont want an AI experience? At least give the option of not signing up for AI.

We have stayed at one other AI (not in PV) and, how should I say this delicately? The food was mediocre and the guests tended to overeat, overdrink and become obnoxious, something we never had at the Camino. I hope there is a way of changing there minds - - - if not, we will have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately the site is unique, close by secluded, so we might have to opt for a villa in the Conchas Chinas area, which we dont really want to do. They are going to ruin the Camino experience if they stick with the only AI mentality . . . and that is sad. I shoulda seen it coming when they changed from the elegant and wonderful La Perla to the noisy Maria Bonita restaurant several years ago.

This is my first post, I just joined specifically to get some feedback on the change from this group of hardcore PVers. Basically I dont want to pay for an AI and then go into town and eat , just the latter :-)

SLOCal

suzy

Post by suzy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:03 pm

AMEN !!!!!!
I have stayed the last 4 years at the Camino...worte to ask them if there was an optional paln for the coming season...received an email..that there would be no choice but exclusively AL...which btw, I considerd the prices off the wall..
Soooo.have booked elsewhere and haven't had the time yet, but intend to write and tell them this...may help...may not..
Maybe this is a way of seeing and experiencing new places & territories...how bad can that be in PV ?? ;-)