Has anyone ever stayed at the Riu in Nuervo?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Has anyone ever stayed at the Riu in Nuervo?

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:59 pm

Just curious - what did you think? I've seen good and bad reviews on it. I alway go all inclusive, since I like to drink :)

I got a terrific rate, and was just curious if anyone has stayed there and have any tips for me.

I'm going with my parents, and they are avid coffee drinkers - and I heard that you can't get coffee till 7am, and this bothered them (not us) they may bring a pot with them. Goofy question huh? LOL!!

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Has anyone ever stayed at the Riu in Nuervo?

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:19 pm

I know that I spelled something wrong there!! Can't figure out what!!!!

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:27 am

Spelled something wrong in your post, or wrong in your title? If you meant in the title, it should be "Nuevo" with no "R". (-:

The Riu is way north of PV, out at the far end of Nuevo. If you're planning on doing any "town time", I'd pick something closer to PV. JMO.

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:02 am

Have the 'rents buy a coffee pot at WalMart, about 10 bucks, then, give it to your maid as a gift when you leave.
Pack 'yer own coffee filters....and coffee...or buy some good fresh roasted local coffee from Dee's Coffee Company or Memo's Pancake house....(IE: A good reason to come into town and visit civilization:)

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:00 pm

That's a good idea!!!

My parents aren't particular with their coffee brands - they won't be very excited about getting local coffee - but I may buy some to take home with us! I love different coffees!!

I think they are better off either way bringing their own coffee pot - since they depend on it to wake up in the morning. They prefer to have a few cups before they even leave the room. But - they are early risers - and word has it, that they don't serve coffee until breakfast opens at 7am.

Thanks for the reply!

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:28 pm

Vallarta has some really great coffee available, on par with Hawaiian Kona and Jamaican coffees. San Sebastian, in the mountains, is just one area close to Vallarta where they grow coffee. Many shops are now specializing in roasting their own coffee on site, or having special roasts done in the area. No longer is coffee in Vallarta just NesCafe.

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:36 pm

bzy1 (Jul 21, 2004 11:28 a.m.):
Vallarta has some really great coffee available, on par with Hawaiian Kona and Jamaican coffees. San Sebastian, in the mountains, is just one area close to Vallarta where they grow coffee. Many shops are now specializing in roasting their own coffee on site, or having special roasts done in the area. No longer is coffee in Vallarta just NesCafe.
This is really good to know...I would be interested in finding some good coffee while down there...usually bring my own Caribou Coffee...we were thinking about taking a road trip to San Sebastian...wondered if they did tours at La Quinta

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:34 pm

I stayed at a RIU in dominican republic and it was beautiful. very high class, a little too fancy for my liking now. but it was excellent at the time for me and i loved it. very clean, good food, good service, etc. my mom stayed at the riu jalisco 2 years ago and she said that it was a very nice resort, however it was just sooo huge it wasn't quaint and intimate like other resorts. something about its giant hotel-ness isn't the best for resorting, because it's just like a huge holiday inn, if ya get what i'm saying sorta? anyways, it's all beautiful and classy, so if that's what your into, i say go for it!

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:35 am

oooh TAG, are you from Minneapolis by chance? Home of Caribou coffee? That was my fix for years!

Dee's Coffee has excellent coffee for sale. She will grind it for you. There is another place with a long indian name, across from Pastel du Village ( MUST go to French bakery and restaurant) on Cardenas (near Ave. Vallarta) and Memo of Memo's Pancakes is roasting his own and doing a pretty good job. All within a few blocks of each other. Buy a cup of coffee at each, do a taste test, and buy your favorite:)

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:54 pm

bzy1 (Jul 21, 2004 11:35 p.m.):
oooh TAG, are you from Minneapolis by chance? Home of Caribou coffee? That was my fix for years!

Dee's Coffee has excellent coffee for sale. She will grind it for you. There is another place with a long indian name, across from Pastel du Village ( MUST go to French bakery and restaurant) on Cardenas (near Ave. Vallarta) and Memo of Memo's Pancakes is roasting his own and doing a pretty good job. All within a few blocks of each other. Buy a cup of coffee at each, do a taste test, and buy your favorite:)
Yep...I'm in Eden Prairie...and I am a Caribou addict...grind it fresh at home every day and during this time of year, I have to get a Large Coffee Cooler quite often!
I will take your advice on the coffee venture...I have been waiting for good coffee in Vallarta! Especially if you can get it ground fresh...anything out Nuevo way as we own at Paradise Village?

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:43 pm

I'm laughing because somehow my post about coffee at the Riu - turned int a post about coffee in Vallarta!!!

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:09 pm

funny how it happens...kinda like at a party!

There's a ton of reviews on the Riu in Trip Advisor....and a couple other places, like epionions and IgUgo.
I am sure you will like it, but it is a huge complex and quite removed from the city...actually, it is in the state of Nayarit, not Jalisco!

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:41 pm

Ya, I was aware that it was quite far from the action. But, we are willing to take a cab into town however many times we feel like doing so.

We wanted really nice beaches, a swim up bar, AI, and a dance club. I think we got everything we wanted in a resort... so, we'll see! I've checked out Trip Advisor already. I'm sick of reading reviews from people who expect a 5 star resort in mexico to be comparable to a 5 star resort in the states. Ya know?

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:30 am

I think some people just cannot be pleased no matter what. I also don't know many 5 star all Inclusives in the States either, or one that would be in the same price range. As they say, you get what you pay for.
Sometimes I read reviews and I think, "huh? I was there at that time and it was nothing like I experienced"

I think it is funny that the Riu is named the Riu Jalisco when it is in Nayarit... most people get confused when filling out the FMT form on the plane and it asks what State of Mexico you will be in. (so, Nuevo/Bucerias is in Nayarit and Puerto Vallarta is in Jalisco)

Do come into town, especially on the weekend for an evening downtown. Saturday and Sunday they have a lot of live entertainment on the Malecon, which is fun and then you can hit the bars afterwards.

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:11 pm

I'd have to come into town on a Sunday if I planned to go on the weekend.

Can you beleive the only flight from Chicago the day I come in (8-28) lands at 7:30 PM!!!! I was tempted to do Cancun (for a 4th time) because of the flights - but then thought about going somewhere new - and decided it didn't matter to me.

Worse thing I could think that will happen is our room won't be top notch since I guess a lot of locals stay at the Rui on the weekends.

OH WELL!! I'm not going to Mexico to hang out in my room, LOL!!

Ya - there are NO AI's in the states, that's why I haven't checked out Hawaii - hey, I'm spending $1500 USD on this trip, 7 nights 2 people AI?? Um - you won't here me complaining - and I'm likley to pop someone in the mouth if I hear them complaning at the resort!! LOL! - Not really.

Nat

Post by Nat » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:50 pm

Wow, sounds like we have the same story. lol. im from chicago and staying at the RIU Jalisco with my parents on July 27th, and i luv the AI's for the drinks also. Gotta love the Endless drinks

jubilee

Post by jubilee » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:17 pm

Sky1018_pv (Jul 20, 2004 08:59 a.m.):
Just curious - what did you think? I've seen good and bad reviews on it. I alway go all inclusive, since I like to drink :)

I got a terrific rate, and was just curious if anyone has stayed there and have any tips for me.

I'm going with my parents, and they are avid coffee drinkers - and I heard that you can't get coffee till 7am, and this bothered them (not us) they may bring a pot with them. Goofy question huh? LOL!!

I stayed at the Riu Jalisco last year in September. Excellent and beautiful place. 5 star, well I would say more like a 4 star. Beautiful rooms, seems to be done in a Red Cherry, very opulant and rich. Beach is great, they have an adults only pool, much appreciated. The food is super, more choices than you can eat. Downside, is that there doesn't seem to be anything Mexican about the food. Mostly caters to American tastes. LOL

BTW..there are bottles of Tequila, Rum and I believe Gin in every room, along with mixes. All inclusive means all inclusive. AND there is a coffee machine in every room as well. Makes about 2 cups.

Have a great trip

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:55 pm

Sky1018_pv (Jul 22, 2004 09:43 a.m.):
I'm laughing because somehow my post about coffee at the Riu - turned int a post about coffee in Vallarta!!!
with the characters on this b.b. you actually expect any of us to stay on topic for more than 3 posts? lol btw, there is a really great little coffee shop near the no name cafe in mazatlan.

sandra
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sandra » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:00 am

[
Worse thing I could think that will happen is our room won't be top notch since I guess a lot of locals stay at the Rui on the weekends.

OH WELL!! I'm not going to Mexico to hang out in my room, LOL!!

WELL, WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH US LOCALS STAYING AT THE RIU ON WEKKENDS???? DO YOU THINK WE ARE PIGS OR SOMETHING???? I BELIEVE YOU ARE A BIT OF A JERK GRINGO

sky_in_pv_1976
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sky_in_pv_1976 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:57 pm

friendlygirl (Jul 25, 2004 10:00 p.m.):
[

WELL, WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH US LOCALS STAYING AT THE RIU ON WEKKENDS???? DO YOU THINK WE ARE PIGS OR SOMETHING???? I BELIEVE YOU ARE A BIT OF A JERK GRINGO
LOL! That's not what I meant, I'm sorry you took it that way! I should have been more clear.

What I meant was that We are flying in on a Saturday night, and a lot of the locals come in on the weekends (meaning there will be less choice of rooms) the place is more crouded, therefor we will probably not end up with the ocean view, and location we are hoping for.

I don't mind the locals - I'm not a jerk like that!!