Which Mayan Palace do you prefer?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Chinooks
Which Mayan Palace do you prefer?

Post by Chinooks » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:01 pm

Just wondering who has stayed at the various Mayan Palaces... do you prefer one over the other? Nuevo over Marina, or vice versa? Has anyone tried the new one just south of the U.S. border?

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Which Mayan Palace do you prefer?

Post by randyintucson » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:29 am

A lot depends on what you are looking for. If you want a great beach and don't care too much about going in to Puerto Vallarta, then choose Nuevo, but know that it is not conveniently located. I prefer the Mayan at the marina, mainly for convenience. A great deal of timeshare pressure at both places. I don't know where you are coming from, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to thing of going to the MP in Puerto Peñasco instead of Puerto Vallarta.

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:26 pm

Hello. Well, flights from Canada are around $900. I thought maybe of driving to Puerto Penasco. (sorry if I misspelled that one).
Plus it does sound like an awesome resort.

charbie

Post by charbie » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:15 am

Where is puerto P....??? That you are talking about here??????

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:24 am

Puerto Peñasco is in northern Mexico, about a 3-4 hour drive from both Tucson and Phoenix. If you go there in the winter, there would be no possibility of swimming, unless the Mayan Palace has a heated pool. This is in the desert and it gets cold at night. I live in Tucson, and I go to Vallarta to get away from the cold in the winter. Spring and fall would be the only times to think of going to Puerto Peñasco.

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:48 pm

Well that is good to know... spring or fall only, eh?
Maybe they have a heated pool...

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:58 am

Very few, if any, pools in Mexico are heated, unless they are in private residences. It's a waste of $$ for them.

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:08 am

I am pretty sure the Mayan Palace Sea Garden pool at Nuevo is heated.

Lodac1

Post by Lodac1 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:44 am

Both resorts have thier advantages and disadvantages. So save the difficult decision and go to both for a week. Works for us! That way you get the great Nuevo beaches and superior resort for 1 week, and the great location of the Marina and proximity to PV for the second week. Also maximizes the $962.50 gouge for airfare from Canada.

Greg & Lisa in Winnipeg

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:56 am

Lodac1 (Oct 18, 2004 12:44 a.m.):
Both resorts have thier advantages and disadvantages. So save the difficult decision and go to both for a week. Works for us! That way you get the great Nuevo beaches and superior resort for 1 week, and the great location of the Marina and proximity to PV for the second week. Also maximizes the $962.50 gouge for airfare from Canada.

Greg & Lisa in Winnipeg

now that winter has set in, in most of the prairies, you guys must be ready to go to p.v. already.

JON

Puerto Penasco

Post by JON » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:30 pm

Puerto Penasco.
Last time we have been there in 1979. It was just over 4 hors drive from Phoenix, Az.
A nice village (at that time) with superb beaches.
Warm weather... More info about PP..view these sites:
www.puerto-penasco.com/
or
www.si-mexico.com/cities/penasco.htm
or
www.rockypointmexico.com/

From Calgary to PP - driving time - minimum 2 days.
Do not forget your car insurance valid in Mexico plus "tourist card"....ect...
Highway from US border to PP is patroled by Green Angels...
A good place for a quiet vacation time!

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:32 am

Thanks for all the tips and reminders.

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:56 am

Greg & Lisa,
You are going to both Mayan Palaces? How did you get into the Marina? We could only get into Nuevo... and I called to book the first day. We really do prefer the Marina as it is just a hop, skip and jump into town... and close to Voctors to eat at...
Lodac1 (Oct 18, 2004 12:44 a.m.):

Greg & Lisa in Winnipeg

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:57 am

Sorry, I meant to say it is close to Victor's (restaurant in the Marina) One of our all time favorite places to eat.

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:26 am

Hi Chinook, the reason you could only get into Nuevo and not the Marina is a matter of supply and demand. Nuevo is much larger and generally there is more demand for Marina.

Lodac1

Post by Lodac1 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:03 pm

Hi Chinook,

You can book no earlier than six months in advance, so we start checking availability in August, and keep calling every week until we get the times and locations that we want. You have to be persistant, as every one else wants to travel in the January to March time frame. We too are great fans of Victor's and we also really enjoy Rincon de Buenos Airies for a great steack. Dorado's also has a good breakfast. Great, now I'm hungry :)

Greg & Lisa in Winnipeg

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:23 pm

Hi there,
Where is Rincon de Buenos Aires... also Dorado's?
In the Marina??

Lodac1

Post by Lodac1 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:47 pm

In the Marina, just down from Victor's. Dorado's is at the first corner, and Rincon is closer to the light house, by the chinese food place. At night you can spot Rincon by the dogs hanging around out front waiting for some scraps. There are 2 places named Dorado, but I prefer the one closer to Victor's. The other one is close to the Italian restaurant, and the "hostess" is a time share shark.

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:20 pm

Thanks for the info. Will check it out... not sure how much we will be in the Marina this year though. Although, we do have a 3rd week in RCI. I wonder what would be the chances of still getting into the Marina?