Update on Dreams Resort?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

slocal
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Update on Dreams Resort?

Post by slocal » Fri May 20, 2005 8:02 pm

Helllo All,

It has been a while since I posted, mostly because my wife and I had to cancel our planned PV trip in March. Thanks to those of you who communicated with me directly last Fall. We are now ready to try again in mid September.

For 15 yrs we had been going to the Camino Real and loved it. Close to city, but far enough to be quiet, etc, etc, and lovely staff and grounds. In 2004 it was acquired by Dreams Resort and renamed (yuck). But then folks reported major construction in late 2004, supposedly done by 2005 early.

So I really would like to know about its current status, in particular, from folks who have been there before it was Dreams and how it compares. Is the construction continuing? Is it physically better now? It was aging a bit, being the first Gran Turisimo hotel built there back in about 1967 I think, but I am concerned because folks complained of noise and work.

I also know they apparently went to an all inclusive format (AI), which to me is not going to work well with us previous Camino lovers. Although the food there is excellent (the old La Perla is still fondly missed), we usually opt for dinners and at least a few lunches at the many good places in town.

Thank you all for any infomation as we are ready to sign on the dotted line.

We typically use an Apple or Alaska air-land package with transfers as it seems to be an overall better deal than doing it separately. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Adios,

Antonio
San Luis Obispo, CA

Jennybean

Re:Update on Dreams Resort?

Post by Jennybean » Sat May 21, 2005 2:10 am

I would recommend checking out Trip Advisor. Lots of very recent reviews on Dreams.

It has gone to an AI format, yes. Some like it, others don't seem to (going by the reviews). I do know a few people who were old Camino Real regulars who don't like the new Dreams or the format, so they went to the Presidente Intercontinental instead and were very happy, and plan on returning there.