Hotel Tropicana

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tatterdema
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Hotel Tropicana

Post by tatterdema » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 pm

Hi,

I am booked into the Hotel Tropicana for 7 nights in Feb. I booked a superior room. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between superior and standard? After reading on the internet, I am seeing that ALL rooms have an ocean view. Superior was $20 per night extra, and I am not sure if it is worth it. Also, any recomendations on what room number to ask for to get an unobstructed view of the water?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wade

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:37 pm

I don't know what a Superior room is but friends of ours stayed in a "Standard" room last year. We were there at the same time and got to see their room and, believe me, it was certainly standard. Judging from that, I would say you will be happy you paid for the upgrade. The only view of the ocean they had was by going out on their little balcony and craning their necks. Having said that, though, they got what they paid for and were happy enough with the hotel. And the location is superb.

Jennybean

Tropicana

Post by Jennybean » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:55 pm

I believe they classify the rooms in the new north tower as the Superior rooms. These are all upgraded newer rooms.

Be aware that "ocean view" does not necessarily mean "ocean front", which are two different classifications of room. Some of the balconies in the new tower are angled, so the view isn't always direct to the ocean.

Either way if you want to see some pictures of the Superior Rooms go to Tropicana's website:

http://www.htropicanapv.com

Jennybean

Tropicana

Post by Jennybean » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Oh...forgot to mention that I had heard there were on-going upgrades to the rooms in the original tower too, so some of them might garner the same classification.

And I agree that the location can't be beat.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:27 pm

Thank you Ellen and Jenny. That was helpful. Do either of you recall if the guests have to wear a wrist band when staying at the Trop? I read on one of the posts that you had to. I thought this was usually just an AI thing. Can you tell my anything about Looney Tunes also? I have heard the service is friendlier than at Blue chairs. True? I have so many darn questions running through my head, and soooo excited. Thanks again for your advice and help.

Wade

tatterdema
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tatterdema » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:31 pm

Ooops, forgot to log in, so I could not edit my last post. Jenny, if the rooms in the old tower are redone, would you recommend asking for one of those, or stick to the newer tower with the angled windows? Any idea which have the larger balcony? Ellen, which tower did you see the room in, old, or new? I know, questions, questions, questions.

Wade

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:28 pm

tatterdema wrote:Ooops, forgot to log in, so I could not edit my last post. Jenny, if the rooms in the old tower are redone, would you recommend asking for one of those, or stick to the newer tower with the angled windows? Any idea which have the larger balcony? Ellen, which tower did you see the room in, old, or new? I know, questions, questions, questions.

Wade
Our friends were definitely in the old, south tower. Their balconywas barely big enough for 2 chairs and was on the side facing an alley. I'm sorry - I don't remember if they had to wear wristbands. Also, I don't know anything about the service at Blue Chairs or Loonie Toons. I hope you have a great time. I doubt if you will be in your room enough to suffer from it's inadequacies.
Ellen

susana

beach bars

Post by susana » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:07 pm

actually i preferred blue chairs over looney toons... but both are plenty fun. more it depends on which waiter you happen to have. i recommend picking one and 'befriending' them, if you return to the same place each day, and tip nice at the end of each time, that's what 'improves' the service most in my experience. it's pretty easy to become a 'regular' somewhere. i find that true at many of the smaller restaurants in old town PV. have a mango margarita for me!

Jennybean

Beach Clubs

Post by Jennybean » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:26 pm

Looney Tunes is now called the PV Beach Cafe, or sometimes called the Green Chairs. I find they have much more beach space to spread out than the Blue Chairs, which ropes off their beach section...in October they were squished in there like cattle in a pen. Didn't look very comfy.

The beer is also cheaper at the green chairs. (-;

The old tower balconies at the Trop, the ones in the shorter tower in the front (I think it's 3 stories) have larger balconies. I'm told those rooms, while quaint and rustic, are large - especially the corner rooms. Sorry, I don't know room numbers.

If you want the superior rooms, stick with the new tower.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:17 am

Thanks again jenny and Ellen. I do not care about oppulent rooms, or really even the size of the rooms. I would like a balcony that faces straight out toward the beach and the bay. I really do not care if the room is "rustic, or Basic" as long as the view is good. I guess I will stick with what I have booked at this point. I am sure I will be happy with anything that even has a partial view. I do work in the hospitality industry, and will ask to see other rooms while I am there so I will be able to report to what I personally think of their rooms.

How is the weather where you are? Damn cold and damp here.

Wade

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:14 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thanks again jenny and Ellen. I do not care about oppulent rooms, or really even the size of the rooms. I would like a balcony that faces straight out toward the beach and the bay. I really do not care if the room is "rustic, or Basic" as long as the view is good. I guess I will stick with what I have booked at this point. I am sure I will be happy with anything that even has a partial view. I do work in the hospitality industry, and will ask to see other rooms while I am there so I will be able to report to what I personally think of their rooms.

How is the weather where you are? Damn cold and damp here.

Wade
It's relatively cold in Toronto but nothing like the American midwest at the moment.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:01 am

Tropicana is nice and clean with a great location but it is still an old hotel that has been face-lifted (like putting lipstick on a pig). Not in the same class as Playa del Sol or VallartaShores but cheaper.

"Green chairs" has great cervesa and location but I would not recommend eating there. Go north to the El Dorado for great food.

langley guy

Tropicana

Post by langley guy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:51 am

the Tropicana is certainly very adequate. The rooms are always clean and the staff is friendly. Even if you are just included for breakfast you will have a bracelet for ID. The location is excellant. We always prefer the green chairs. More space and staff is very good. Ask for Alfredo. He has been our server for about 5 years. We tip well the first day and he always holds chairs for us. Enjoy yourselves and don't forget to go to Apaches. Great place to meet and greet.

locoforpv

tropicana

Post by locoforpv » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:32 pm

If you can swing it get a jr. suite in the older tower( which is being remodeled) The rooms aren't fancy, but they are definitely bigger with a great balcony.

tatterdema
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tatterdema » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:06 pm

Thank You Langley and Loco.

Sounds like I will be just fine, and have a great time. Looking forward to lying on the beach and getting away from the rain.

locoforpv

tropicana

Post by locoforpv » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:51 pm

Look for Giorgio he is the greatest waiter ever at the hotel. He works the restaurant and the beach. He is a real character.